Buying advice

/ Buying advice #11  
The Massey is a premium tractor. It would be more equivalent to the Kubota Grand L. The MX is also nice but it does not have the same options on it as the Massey. You need to get on both tractors and ride them around. They would both do the job and are both nice machines. I would be leaning toward the power reverser but just my opinion/likes.

If I was deciding between the Grand L and MX, I would be all over the Grand L. They are nice and comfortable.

/ Buying advice #12  
Those are pretty large tractors for 8 acres. Are you intending on getting more land, or haying some additional land?

I personally like gear transmissions but depending on the size of the tractor you get, one may not be an option.
How are these large tractors for 8 acres? They are compact tractors and would be great for 8 acres.
I have considered the YT347 previously as well as a L4060, and am still quite fond of either of those tractors. I just don’t want to cut myself short of capability. Do you think that either of those tractors are capable of doing what I need? I don’t feel as thought I would be lacking in engine HP it is the PTO I want plenty of.
I don't know a whole lot about haying but most of the folks I know that fool with it have utility size tractors. You are going to definitely need some horsepower.

/ Buying advice #13  
How are these large tractors for 8 acres? They are compact tractors and would be great for 8 acres.

I don't know a whole lot about haying but most of the folks I know that fool with it have utility size tractors. You are going to definitely need some horsepower.
Yep, we keep hearing "Buy enough tractor for what you need"; that shouldn't be based mainly on how many acres you have. It should be based upon what you plan to do on those acres. Kudos for @Greener280 for sizing based on the big picture.

/ Buying advice #14  
Riding round and round a field is easier on gears than hydro pump. Also don’t have to rely on cruise control in an hst. Also gear tractors more fuel efficient for riding round and round a field.

/ Buying advice #15  
Riding round and round a field is easier on gears than hydro pump. Also don’t have to rely on cruise control in an hst. Also gear tractors more fuel efficient for riding round and round a field.
My Kioti geared tractor has PTO cruise, it took a couple times to figure out how to use it. I had figured it was a gimmick, that the governor would maintain PTO speed. What good is that?

I finally learned that when mowing you get your throttle up to speed and engage the PTO cruise, then if you need to throttle down a bit for a tight turn or close clearance, you simply hit "resume" afterwards and it kicks the throttle back up to where it was. No fiddling with the hand throttle. Sweet!

/ Buying advice #16  
IMHO the YT 347 would be the best choice.
You need to sit in the seat and check out all
the controls and experience the size of the
cab to see if the tractor is what fits you! You
know what you need so its up to you to make
the decision on what's best for you! Also are
you getting the most for your buck?
How about the warranties?
Does one tractor have better options standard
and the other tractor are added on at extra cost?
Good hunting!

willy

/ Buying advice #17  
A 50+ HP tractor is generally considered fairly large for 8 acres, mostly due to it being larger than what you would typically use for the size of equipment typically used on an 8 acre parcel. Most who have that amount of property have something quite a bit smaller and more maneuverable unless there is some very specific task that requires a certain size machine.

/ Buying advice #18  
A 50+ HP tractor is generally considered fairly large for 8 acres, mostly due to it being larger than what you would typically use for the size of equipment typically used on an 8 acre parcel. Most who have that amount of property have something quite a bit smaller and more maneuverable unless there is some very specific task that requires a certain size machine.

I reckon it depends on if you want to run 5’ or 6’ implements. If you want to run a 6ft bush hog through thick grass on hilly terrain then 40+ PTO HP on a 4000lb machine would be ideal.

/ Buying advice #19  
100% correct. This statement can be backed up by looking at the sizing recommendations on manufactures websites.

/ Buying advice #20  
I reckon it depends on if you want to run 5’ or 6’ implements. If you want to run a 6ft bush hog through thick grass on hilly terrain then 40+ PTO HP on a 4000lb machine would be ideal.
Also correct. It amazed me when I was in the sizing phase of my research how much more tractor you needed to go from 5ft cutters to 6ft cutters.