Buying advice

/ Buying advice #1  

Greener280

Tractor
John Deere 790
Hi all,
I am going to be in the market for a new tractor before the year is up, but I’m torn between what transmission route I want to take. If I decide to go with a HST I think I want to go with a Kubota MX5400 and if I go the gear route I will go with a Massey Ferguson 2850M power shuttle. Where I’m torn is which transmission will fit my needs best. My primary uses for the tractor is on 8 acres and include mowing, spraying, and snow removal via loader mounter plow. I also have future intentions to making my own hay, so tilling, seeding and running a baler are things I Intend to do with it. Looking for some opinions on what the better transmission route would be for the tasks I’m looking to accomplish.

/ Buying advice #2  
Kubota MX has a Category I/II TPH.
The Kubota MX has been around a number of years and has sold in great numbers. Parts for early MX models mostly interchange with parts for today's MX models.

The MF has a Category I TPH. The MF weighs ~300 pounds more than the Kubota.

Both transmissions equally satisfactory on eight acres.

Which dealer is closer?

Do you perceive one of the dealers as having a more proficient shop?

Last edited:
   / Buying advice

Which dealer is closer?

Which dealer is closer?

Both dealers are good around here and are have no issues with either. As far as which one is closer, they are within a block of each other.

/ Buying advice #4  
Hi all,
I am going to be in the market for a new tractor before the year is up, but I’m torn between what transmission route I want to take. If I decide to go with a HST I think I want to go with a Kubota MX5400 and if I go the gear route I will go with a Massey Ferguson 2850M power shuttle. Where I’m torn is which transmission will fit my needs best. My primary uses for the tractor is on 8 acres and include mowing, spraying, and snow removal via loader mounter plow. I also have future intentions to making my own hay, so tilling, seeding and running a baler are things I Intend to do with it. Looking for some opinions on what the better transmission route would be for the tasks I’m looking to accomplish.

Those are pretty large tractors for 8 acres. Are you intending on getting more land, or haying some additional land?

I personally like gear transmissions but depending on the size of the tractor you get, one may not be an option.

/ Buying advice #5  
If I had to choose between the MX5400 or the 2850M for eight acres I’d pick the MX.

That said, the Yanmar YT347 with the iHMT or a Kubota Grand L with the HST+ are both superior transmissions to a standard HST or shuttle shift.

I intend to get a YT347 for my hilly eight acres because I want to run a 6ft bush hog and I want enough size, weight, and PTO hp to not have the tail wagging the dog so to speak.

For eight acres, I’d hedge towards a HST or iHMT for the ease of use for loader work. They’re also more wife and kid friendly if that matters to you.

Last edited:
   / Buying advice #6  
If I had to choose between the MX5400 or the 2850M for eight acres I’d pick the MX.

That said, the Yanmar YT347 with the iHMT or a Kubota Grand L with the HST+ are both superior transmissions to a standard HST or shuttle shift.

I intend to get a YT347 for my hilly eight acres because I want to run a 6ft bush hog and I want enough size, weight, and PTO hp to not have the tail wagging the dog so to speak.

For eight acres, I’d hedge towards a HST or iHMT for the ease of use for loader work. They’re also more wife and kid friendly if that matters to you.
I agree with Tractorable. 8 acres is not much property especially for tractors of that size and weight.

/ Buying advice

I have considered the YT347 previously as well as a L4060, and am still quite fond of either of those tractors. I just don’t want to cut myself short of capability. Do you think that either of those tractors are capable of doing what I need? I don’t feel as thought I would be lacking in engine HP it is the PTO I want plenty of.

/ Buying advice #8  
HST all the way for current intended use!

Hay is slightly different. 8 acres all hay? Or only part of an 8 acre lot? HST would still work, but I’d rather have a gear tractor for hay if possible.

/ Buying advice #9  
I have considered the YT347 previously as well as a L4060, and am still quite fond of either of those tractors. I just don’t want to cut myself short of capability. Do you think that either of those tractors are capable of doing what I need? I don’t feel as thought I would be lacking in engine HP it is the PTO I want plenty of.
You are over-thinking this decision.

All four of the tractors you have researched are ample for eight acres.

If you can afford a Kubota 'Grand L' L4060/ L4760/ L5060/ L5460/ L6060, go for it.

If you want plenty of PTO horsepower go with an L4760/ L5060/ L5460/ L6060 rather than the L4060.

All of the tractors you are considering will make you smile.

Last edited: