Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules?

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #12  
Hooked up the Big Tex dump trailer to get a load of 5/8 yesterday. When i got to the pit where i have bought for 30 years i was told by dispatch that MSHA prohibits anyone without a contractors license from being in the pit or buyIng rock. I maintain 1/4 mile gravel road. Anyone else heard about such nonsense?
I'm also in Washington State, near Yelm. What pit did you go to? You caught my interest as I have a 1,000 yard long driveway that I need gravel for.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #13  
Anybody got more info on this rule?
What's the easiest way to get a contractors license?

One of my buddies runs a loader in a quarry. They don’t like loading dump trailers but they will do it. I think the quarry made up that rule and blamed it on msha. Especially since most truck drivers don’t have a contractors license. Getting a contractors license is fairly hard and fairly expensive. That option is off the table to haul a couple loads of rock.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #14  
Same here. I've picked up the occasional trailer load of topsoil/mulch/manure, but that's it. I doubt many who aren't DOT carriers have equipment capable of safely hauling stone or gravel.

Do you mean even renting a mini-excavator to do yard work? Hope it never gets that bad here.
Most recent was a Bandit 65 Chipper

It was in the rental fleet and for sale.

I was thinking of buying and the deal was rent it and if I decided to buy the rental cost applied to purchase.

The chipper was hitched to my truck and my credit card charged including damage waiver and a copy of my Driver License.

I was leaving the yard and flagged down to return to office.

The counter guy said I forgot to make a copy of my contractor license.

When I said I don’t contract he said I could not rent but no problem selling!

Spent the next half hour unhooking and cancelling the transaction… mind you I had called in advance to reserve the chipper with my credit card.

This was with the local Bandit Franchise…

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #15  
I'm also in Washington State, near Yelm. What pit did you go to? You caught my interest as I have a 1,000 yard long driveway that I need gravel for.
Me too… near Olympia and wonder if my trailer loads will be a problem.

Local rental yard has minimum tow requirements to eliminate casual users…

Had to go home and get my old C20 pickup because Diesel Excursion with 12k hitch deemed to be SUV and not a truck… go figure?

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #16  
Probably an insurance requirement, MSHA has not authority over private citizens.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #17  
I just hauled 5 ton last week, I hope they don't start that here.

/ Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #18  
One of my buddies runs a loader in a quarry. They don’t like loading dump trailers but they will do it. I think the quarry made up that rule and blamed it on msha. Especially since most truck drivers don’t have a contractors license. Getting a contractors license is fairly hard and fairly expensive. That option is off the table to haul a couple loads of rock.

I think its $50 bucks and a 1-page form in PA. Not much to it.
Most, not all Quarries dislike loading small contractors trucks.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #19  
Probably an insurance requirement, MSHA has not authority over private citizens.
Insurance Companies don't make rules like that. It's an invention by businesses to get their customers to do what they want. It is THEIR rule, not the Insurance Company's rule. 99 times out of 100

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Buying crushed rock -- new MSHA rules? #20  
I think its $50 bucks and a 1-page form in PA. Not much to it.
Most, not all Quarries dislike loading small contractors trucks.
Is that $50 one and done or per year ?