Buying land that has a natural gas line on it?

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
I’m in the process of buying 42 acres in the Virginia mountains that has a 6” high pressure natural gas transmission line on it. Basically other than a 25’ right of way that has to stay clear, it’s pretty much out of sight out of mind.

The gas company did say the “recommend” not building within 200’ of to stay out of the blast radius, but after some research the chance of an explosion is around 0.00008% or so…willing to take that risk. The gas line is near the best building sites on the property.

Would this still make you uneasy or would you care? We have been looking for land for over a year and have either not found enough, or it’s been extremely over budget so we don’t have that many options.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #2  
I'm not familiar with high pressure gas lines. If it were me - I'd keep looking.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #3  
The land I bought for my "retirement" home is crossed by two pipeline companies. One is Northern Natural Gas with two 30" cross county pipelines and the other is OneOak with two LPG? lines.

Because of the lay of my property, my best building site was over 100 yards away. But in any case I am not concerned about an explosion. The natural gas line is on the edge of my property, crossing an open grassy area so keeping it clear is not a problem. The other lines cross through my forest, and I do my best to keep in clear so they don't have a reason to come on my property. I did have a minor issue in the past that was resolved to my satisfaction.

Check the easement and make sure you understand the exact legal requirements for building. The upside to my easement was, they were required to provide me with a farm tap. I had to pay the cost to install, but I have natural gas rather than propane. Keep in mind, they can do pretty much anything they was on their easement. Know exactly where it is. The neighbor was pretty upset when they removed some of the decorative trees that lined his driveway, which crossed the pipeline.

This summer they had to do major work on the pipeline. We lost our natural gas for 93 days and the corner of my property had a huge hole. But, the gas company paid the entire cost for installing an electric hot water heater and paid us a daily fee. Additionally, since I was not happy with their landscaping, I was able to negotiate a fee for me to finish the work. Overall we were well compensated for the trouble. They were good to work with and I have no real complaints.

Doug in SW IA

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #4  
Aside from the gas line itself, I'd want to study the complete right of way legal document looking for their access rights, reasons and responsibilities to restore, etc.
I'd probably spend the money on a land type lawyer.
The gas line and right of way/easement would not bother me as long as I completely understood the "rules" and not worry about future suprises.
The lawyer will alert you to some of these future possibilities. One that comes to mind is them adding other "utilities" in the future like a power transmission lines or more construction projects burying more "pipes".
Good luck but do your homework.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #5  
Had gas line cross our farm and was never an issue. It was 1/2 mile from buildings but we farmed all the land it crossed. If they had to do work we were compensated for our crops. Much, much better company to work with than the 400 kva power line people that also crossed the property. This was 30 - 60 years ago so rules have probably changed.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it?
You all are thinking right up my alley. I think I am reassured on the safety aspect of things, but the actual usage and ROW document is what my main concern is. Its mostly running in pasture, but we will have our home and shop somewhat near the ROW so I need to make sure to read that document to be 100% sure of what I'm getting into.

The land is gorgeous and perfect for us so I'm willing to deal with a little headache, but not something extreme.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #7  
It's the easement and ROW that should be of concern. Check for those. Also, you might want to consider what happens if other utility companies have access or rights to those. That may change the equation dramatically.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #8  
If you can also get full use of FREE natural gas after paying cost for a tap, like Doug did above, I don't see the issue. With little exception, the Lord above is not making new land. Although I would highly recommend an explosive gas detector. Sniffer machine could detect a minor leak before it became a major issue in the future.

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #9  
6" is a pretty small line. I dont think I'd be too concerned. But I'd echo what others say about understanding EVERY aspect of the easement and their right of way

/ Buying land that has a natural gas line on it? #10  
Check your easement,mine is 25 ft from center. 50 ft total