Buying Advice Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #51  
So here's a quick update...

I talked to what seemed like a very knowledgable individual at a mahindra dealership over the phone today. He recommended I get an emax22 with fel and mmm. Said he doesn't think the extra cost is worth gaining 3hp (to move up to the eMax 25). Said fel had lots of uses and could pretty easily handle the drive that I will have (much the same as the great advice I got on tbn). And if I'm going to get an fel get one now or they charge ridiculous freight to ship one on it's own.

He quoted me a price for a new mahindra emax22 48"fel and 60" mmm for $15,500. That seems pretty reasonable for that much machine and new plus I really liked this guys knowledge base you can tell he not only sells tractora he uses them. The dealership is 40 miles away so not wild about that but he said if needed he could come get tractor and bring it back would charge me about $165 to do that.

Also did some online comparisons between mahindra kubota and jd and mahindra seems like a pretty good deal.

If anyone has some thoughts on this I would love to hear them. Thanks as always

My advice would be to go the the TBN discussion forums on each brand, and see who reports the most problems.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #52  
Matt, my Kioti dealer is also a New Holland and Mahindra dealer. I was there on Saturday and sat on a Max 22 and then a Max 28 that were sitting side-by-side. The Max 28 is definitely a larger tractor than the Max 22. I don't know if the Max 25 is the same size as the Max 22 or the Max 28.

The Max 22 felt like it was about the same size as my Kubota BX23 or any Kubota BX I've sat on. The Max 28 felt like it was about the same size as a small "B" series Kubota. But it was just a "seat of the pants" comparison.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #53  
I mentioned what I had already. I'm a believer in one tractor, lots of accessories, I will admit there are times I think it would be nice to have a dedicated mower but it passes quickly. I have the 48" tiller and love it, so do all the neighbors who always want their gardens done. The 60" MMM I love and hate, I love the quality of the cut and the speed at which I get done. I do dislike the dead grass that comes out the front and goes into the screen on the radiator, but that's what it is there for. The loader and backhoe are my favorites. Once you get use to changing implements it all goes on with ease. I personally wouldn't have anything less than the 28 but that just my preference. I bought mine in July 2012 and have been happy since.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #54  
Matt

Good luck with the property. I have an older 2WD, manual tranny, diesel tractor w/FEL that has served me well. It plowed snow, brush hogged, mowed, moved many tons of dirt (slowly), helped build stone walls, treeforts, shed, garden, made countless projects so much easier for 12 years. However....Just bought a used JD and man did things just get better! Winter was not fun with the old 1700 and it was time to update.

My shopping list (must haves) were:
4WD, 30 hp+ Diesel, HST
FEL
Cat1 TPH/PTO Rear/mid
BH capable

The things I didn't consider but are absolute winners: canopy(easy to update), power steering, front mount snowblower and quick attach loader(I had no idea how useful, the pallet forks have already had a serious workout after only 2 months).

Several very experienced guys told me to avoid MMMs. I saw several comments that reflect that. Never had one. I still use a decent quality ride-on for the basic lawn. Cheaper to repair, maintain and operate. Saves 100 hours a year or more and alot of money on the big machine. $11 oil change 2x/year. Plus the kid can run the guts out of the $500 used mower saving me $1000's of stress!

Seems like there is always a project going on around the homestead and it's hard to imagine being without the tractor. Personally I think the 24hp range would be real nice on 1.5 acres. I looked at several in different brands, but decided after some reading to go a little bigger hp and keep the riding lawn mower. Biggest reasons were hydraulic flow to be able to dig and comfortably brush hog 5' wide. The 24hp can absolutely do those things, just the 33hp does it a whole lot easier from what I've seen.

Dealer support can be an issue but honestly a tractor in that 24 hp size would not take that big trailer to haul around if it needs to go in for service. I'm seeing under 2,000lbs bare tractor, maybe 2100 with loader and add-ons. If you're going to do the regular maintenance you shouldn't have to visit them very often and UPS comes every day if you need a part.

Not sure if this has been helpful or confused things more but I wish I had read a little more 12 years ago. Life is good now!

Good luck and look forward to hearing/seeing your "final answer."

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres
Matt, my Kioti dealer is also a New Holland and Mahindra dealer. I was there on Saturday and sat on a Max 22 and then a Max 28 that were sitting side-by-side. The Max 28 is definitely a larger tractor than the Max 22. I don't know if the Max 25 is the same size as the Max 22 or the Max 28.

The Max 22 felt like it was about the same size as my Kubota BX23 or any Kubota BX I've sat on. The Max 28 felt like it was about the same size as a small "B" series Kubota. But it was just a "seat of the pants" comparison.

Pappy the mahindra dealer I talked to said the 22 and 25 are same tractor with a difference of 3 hp.

I mentioned what I had already. I'm a believer in one tractor, lots of accessories, I will admit there are times I think it would be nice to have a dedicated mower but it passes quickly. I have the 48" tiller and love it, so do all the neighbors who always want their gardens done. The 60" MMM I love and hate, I love the quality of the cut and the speed at which I get done. I do dislike the dead grass that comes out the front and goes into the screen on the radiator, but that's what it is there for. The loader and backhoe are my favorites. Once you get use to changing implements it all goes on with ease. I personally wouldn't have anything less than the 28 but that just my preference. I bought mine in July 2012 and have been happy since.

I would check with your dealer on this the guy that I talked to today said they have some piece coming out (forget what he called it) that fixes the grass getting into the radiator problem.

Breezy

The mahindra dealer that I talked to today agrees totally with you. He recommended the 22 hp mahindra saying it should cover anything I need to do on 1.5 acres and also said he didn't think the 25 horse version was worth spending the extra money said I probay wouldn't notice any difference at all he said it's even the same frame. Hopefully we hear this week whether we will get the property we are looking at and I will definitely let you all know what I get. Someone posted earlier that it's more fun than shopping for a car I would totally agree I love all the incite it have gotten just from talking to people on here who don't stand to gain anything by selling me something just giving honest opinions.

Can anyone tell me what John Deere or kubota tractor corresponds to a mahindra emax22? Just curious to check and see what the difference is price wise because I looked at a couple kubotas that I thought were close to the mahindra and the price was pretty comparable. But maybe I wasn't comparing apples to apples. Possibly the bx2670???

Last edited:
   / Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #59  
Just remember that you can and may add weight. My Kubota B7800 bare weighs 1700 pounds. Outfitted with the loader, filled tires, chains, and a ballast box for snow it weighs 3300 pounds. Almost double the weight and the tractor handles this easily.

/ Buying the right tractor for 1.5 acres #60  
Can anyone tell me what John Deere or kubota tractor corresponds to a mahindra emax22? Just curious to check and see what the difference is price wise because I looked at a couple kubotas that I thought were close to the mahindra and the price was pretty comparable. But maybe I wasn't comparing apples to apples. Possibly the bx2670???

The BX2370 would be closest.