Buying Advice Buying used, how many hours are too many?

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #31  
I have over 700 hundred hours on my L3800 still runs like new.......It depends on how hard the hours were put on it could be junk in a couple hundred hours...I start mine and let it warm up and cool down before shut down always change the oil and air filters......900 hundred hours is not much if taken care of.....

Peter, I understand you want to allow time for the oil to circulate, but for summer start-ups, do you typically warm-up longer than it takes to release the brake, raise the attachment/implement, buckle up, and put in gear?

How long for "cool down," and does this have more to do with the fuel than oil? Thanks.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #32  
In the summer 5 minutes warm up when I first start it , and at least 5 minutes or more to the cool down the engine before I shut it off ,a diesel will cool down a lot just idling.......

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #33  
In the summer 5 minutes warm up when I first start it , and at least 5 minutes or more to the cool down the engine before I shut it off ,a diesel will cool down a lot just idling.......

Peter, I just want you to know: I now warm up and cool down my new tractor. Dealer never said anything about that, never read it anywhere else, knew nothing about diesels before this purchase but it makes sense. Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Buying used, how many hours are too many? #34  
Any thoughts on a Ford 345c with around 7000 hours?
Looks to be in decent condition with the expected wear and tear.

Aaron Z

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many?
Thank you all for the input, I have learned a lot. Ran the 3000 today and the only thing that broke this time was the cutter.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #36  
Peter, I understand you want to allow time for the oil to circulate, but for summer start-ups, do you typically warm-up longer than it takes to release the brake, raise the attachment/implement, buckle up, and put in gear?

How long for "cool down," and does this have more to do with the fuel than oil? Thanks.

When hot, You want to cool the oil in a turbocharged Diesel. If you don稚, the oil can coke and ruin the turbochargers bearings. After hard running, throttle down and let it run 5-10 minutes.
I don稚 do much warm up in summer, but in winter I like a 5-10 minute warm up.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #37  
I have over 1100 hrs on my 2810 and it starts and runs like new . I have already put over 100 hrs brushhogging on my 2538 this yr alone, Things are growing like crazy here this year.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #38  
That is a lot of hours, there are many others available with far fewer hours. Unless the machine has been well maintained with service records I would look elsewhere.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #39  
I have no idea how many hours my 75 year old Ford 2N has but it keeps on working every week around here.

Finish mowing, brush hogging, chipping, everything involved with gathering firewood.... and anything else that comes up.

/ Buying used, how many hours are too many? #40  
I bought a JD 2555 in 2004, upgraded from a Ford 1100. It was about 6500 hours. It is now in excess of 7500 and still kicking. Has it's issues, but still starts and runs fine.
2015 I purchased a 2013 Kubota with 700 hours on it. It has 1100 on it now. Needed a bigger mower, the forks, grapple, bucket, trailer, 15 batwing, M7040 came with the 8 foot Bushhog mower I wanted.
David from jax