buying x739

/ buying x739 #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
Getting ready to order an x739 to take advantage of the current incentives. Plan to get cat 1 3ph, wheel spacers, 6 suitcase weights, and a few other odds and ends. Any advice is appreciated. I currently have a 425 AWS. So, I am familiar with this class of machine. I plan to use my dozer blade and mount off the 425. Any issues with doing this?

One thing I am torn on is the click n go bracket for the weights. I'd really like to leave the 3ph on all the time and use a weight/receiver attachment off the 3pH. But, of course this is a longer footprint. Should I get the click n go too, and can it be left on with the 3ph?

I have no interest in the upgraded seat (too expensive and I don't like armrests either).

Thinking about the alternator upgrade and rear PTO. I have no targeted use for either the 3ph or the rear pto as I have a bigger tractor for those things. But, I always regretted not getting them on the 425 and the 3ph could be handy for many things.

Wish they still had a hydraulic dump hard shell leaf/grass catcher.

/ buying x739 #2  
Auto Connect deck? Didn't see that on your list.

/ buying x739
Decided against auto connect. It's not that big of a deal to take the mower deck off. Talked to the sales guy. He also doesn't know if click n go can be left on with 3ph. I guess no one has ever asked for both. Pretty expensive tractor.

/ buying x739 #4  
Just curious as to why you aren't looking at the 1023 or 1025?

If you didn't want a 3PH, I would say stick with the X7 series. As soon as you desire a 3PH, your much better off with a 1 series machine. When you compare the price, it just can't be beat.

/ buying x739
The reason not a 1-series is that I want the smallest footprint possible and do not want to give up all wheel steer. AWS saves me a ton from using a weed eater and greatly reduces mowing time. I have a bigger tractor for real tractor work; so wanted an optimum mowing machine. I just got the 3PH so I would have it should I want to use it later. Considering an omni Hitch weight/trailer adapter and carry-all for the 3PH as well.

BTW, I ordered today. Should have in a couple of weeks. Got both click-n-go and 3PH. Will use the snowblade I have already. I decided to spend thousands rather than put chains on the 425 this year :)

I will be selling the 425 in the spring after I put a new seat and gauge wheels on it and clean it up real good.

/ buying x739 #6  
The reason not a 1-series is that I want the smallest footprint possible and do not want to give up all wheel steer. AWS saves me a ton from using a weed eater and greatly reduces mowing time. I have a bigger tractor for real tractor work; so wanted an optimum mowing machine. I just got the 3PH so I would have it should I want to use it later. Considering an omni Hitch weight/trailer adapter and carry-all for the 3PH as well.

BTW, I ordered today. Should have in a couple of weeks. Got both click-n-go and 3PH. Will use the snowblade I have already. I decided to spend thousands rather than put chains on the 425 this year :)

I will be selling the 425 in the spring after I put a new seat and gauge wheels on it and clean it up real good.

Ah yes, I see your reasoning. I totally missed your avatar which clearly shows you have a bigger tractor for larger jobs LOL!

You will love the X739. I was going to ask you why you didn't get the diesel, but as we all know, the AWS AWD diesel is a thing of the past! My advice to you is, if there is anything at all you want now, or think you will want later, throw it in with the financing. I made the mistake of passing on the Quick Hitch and 54 inch blade, and now I have to buy them with plastic. Oh how I wish I would have just put them in with the financing at the time of purchase!!

/ buying x739
I would love the diesel. I was torn between the x749 last year with the "inferior" mower deck or the new HC mower decks but no in diesel AWD/AWS. Gas is fine anyway with the fuel injection. If it's as good as my 425 gasser has been, I don't think I'll miss the diesel. The 425 still runs great (1165 hrs) and carb has never needed/been adjusted. The gas does have some good points. You can start cutting right away with the fuel injection; no long warm up required. And quieter. Slightly easier to maintain.

I debated a new blade but decided the old one was just as good and I don't think they've made any changes that improve them. The blade is excellent in snow, BTW, as long as it's less than a foot. I hoping I no longer need chains with AWD and 8 weights. If I do, I will be very disappointed.

/ buying x739 #8  
I would love the diesel. I was torn between the x749 last year with the "inferior" mower deck or the new HC mower decks but no in diesel AWD/AWS. Gas is fine anyway with the fuel injection. If it's as good as my 425 gasser has been, I don't think I'll miss the diesel. The 425 still runs great (1165 hrs) and carb has never needed/been adjusted. The gas does have some good points. You can start cutting right away with the fuel injection; no long warm up required. And quieter. Slightly easier to maintain.

I debated a new blade but decided the old one was just as good and I don't think they've made any changes that improve them. The blade is excellent in snow, BTW, as long as it's less than a foot. I hoping I no longer need chains with AWD and 8 weights. If I do, I will be very disappointed.

I wouldn't consider the 54C as inferior. They changed the design about 3 years ago I think and my 54C performs extremely well, with a very nice quality cut. Nowadays diesel engines do not need the kind of warm-up period the older diesels needed. Tolerances have been tightened extremely and machining has improved by a lot. Now, the only purpose for a small warm-up period is to get the oil moving and thinned out. I like the loud clanky diesel noise, but that isn't for everybody.

I actually find diesel engines easier to maintain because you have no ignition system. I don't need to change spark plugs or worry about rotting fuel due to ethanol.

/ buying x739 #9  
I have no targeted use for either the 3ph or the rear pto as I have a bigger tractor for those things. But, I always regretted not getting them on the 425 and the 3ph could be handy for many things.

Congrats, I think you will like it. I think once you get it you will see how valuable it is having a smaller machine with a 3PH on it.You won't have to worry about using junky lawn mower pull type equipment, you can get real tractor implements. Trailer movers work great on a machine that size. I use a pond scoop on my BX for small clean up jobs instead of using my larger tractor.

/ buying x739
I've spent most of the day scheming and browsing the internet for ways to use the 3PH. I have thoughts of converting my leaf vac to 3pt (the 2 swivel wheels are hard on the lawn), and am considering the Omni Transformer with weight bracket and carry all basket. I think it will become a permanent fixture on the tractor.

JDTank, that is why "inferior" was in quotes. I'm sure the older decks work just fine. I just kept reading complaints about cut quality (from some) and how much better the new ones are w.r.t. cut quality as well as beef. I was torn between x749 (diesel and lesser deck) or wait to 2013 for the X739 (better deck and no diesel). Decided I didn't really need the diesel for mowing and snow removal (and timing wasn't ideal either). My current gasser has never left me wanting more power for those chores and with 5 more HP on the x739, it will do all that I need it to. Besides I have a diesel beast in my bigger tractor when I need it for work requiring serious torque/power.

As for running a cold diesel with a mower load, you can do what you want, but I wouldn't engage any PTO implement onto a cold diesel. I don't care what the owner's manual might say. And I probably won't be so quick to do it with my new fuel injected tractor either, even though they claim it's OK. I like to warm an engine before loading it, and in cold weather that can take a while with a diesel engine. I ran my Kioti on Saturday. It was about 34 degrees or so. It took a full 10 minutes to reach full warm up temperature. Of course, I did start out at idle and gradually increased RPMs over the 10 minute period. At idle, it probably would never reach full temperature. My 425 gasser warms in about 1-2 minutes at full throttle. That's probably how long I will wait with the new tractor too. I also "cool" my engines by running at idle for several seconds before shutting off. I've had good luck with this approach. The 425 is 20 years old, starts and runs like new, burns zero oil. May run for another 1000 hours.