BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #1  

DOC4444

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Tractor was running perfectly last night, plowing. Put in shed overnight. Topped up with fresh fuel and Power Service Anti-Gel. (Have been using plenty of this, so it is hard to imagine the fuel has gelled, plus it is 20 degrees warmer now than last night.)

I am currently warming the top of the engine with a 300 watt block heater. The only thing can think of is that one (or both) of the two fuel filters have clogged. (They were replaced last summer.) I am puzzled that it keeps firing right up, if it is not getting fuel, but only runs a second or two, before it dies.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks as always,

DOC

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops
I just pulled all the fuses out, shined a light on each one and they all look good. (Rats!) Also, I was just told that too much anti-gel can cause the paraffin to precipitate out of the fuel and plug the filter/s. The one under the floor is plastic and looks pretty clear except for a small green spot on the bottom.

I am leaning towards replacing the filter under the floor and see what happens.

Any other thoughts?

DOC

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #4  
Make sure none of the safety switches (there are numerous) has not frozen up or has other issue. As far as I know switches usually won't let it even turn over, but I can't say that is universal for sure.

For example, if the seat switch was flakey, it's possible it can start but any jiggle of the seat (even from tractor vibrations) would kill the engine. You can normally bypass a safety switch to rule it out. I'd also check the switches on the clutch pedal if you have one, on the PTO lever, and on the HST treadle (if it's not centered that will trigger a safety switch). Someone else may know which of these could cause the behavior you note, otherwise check them all.

The only reason I jump to this conclusion is that a lot of people run into this problem after moving snow and then parking in sub-freezing conditions, and it's a fairly common problem reported here.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #5  
check the first filter out of the tank. It will clog first.
Another possibility is the solenoid failed. They fail closed.

Did you ohm the fuses? sometimes they blow in the base.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #6  
Im with y'all on clogged filter. If it were a solenoid or fuse motor wouldn't run at all.(ex. if stop engine solenoid is unplugged motor will turn but nor crank) My guess is that filter is bogged up from to much anti-gel, anti-gel is sometimes one of those things that less is more. If your having trouble with thickening fuel I've heard of people mixing part kerosene to help. Just some thought.
Let us know what you find.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #7  
Replace the fuel filters....My guess is water freezing in the fuel filter(s). I had the problem on occasion. Water freezes and expands in the filter choking off fuel flow. Enough gets by to start the engine but not enough to keep it running. I never have used a anti gel additive and have never had a geling issue and it get darn cold here....winter blend fuel suffices.....interesting comment about the additive causing parafin to precipitate.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #8  
If the fuel filter is clogged, after repeated starts how would it even get enough fuel to even run momentarily?

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #9  
Our old BX did that and it was the fuel shut off solenoid. It is a easy fix costing around $120.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops
Kubota dealer was convinced the air filter was frozen due to being saturated with snow after running for 15 hours in falling snow. Claimed he has had 18 machines with exactly the same symptoms in the last two days that were fixed by replacing the air filter. I just got home and removed the air filter. No change in behavior. Fires every time, then shuts off in a couple seconds. Filter did not show any obvious signs (to me) of having been saturated with water

Dealer indicated that tractor would not fire at all if there is no power to the fuel solenoid (bad fuse) or the solenoid itself is bad. Do you agree, or not?

If the above is true, I am back to fuel filter(s) being ALMOST completely clogged, allowing it to start, but not keep running, but I would think it would run out of fuel after a couple starts and then not fire on subsequent attempts.

Really appreciate all the input. Dealer cannot pick up tractor until Saturday, then will take at least a week to work on it. With MUCH more snow coming, we really need to not be without it that long.

I plan to stop by the dealer tomorrow morning and pick up fuel filters and any other parts needed, then get to work on the tractor tomorrow night with help from a friend who is a mechanic.

What parts beyond fuel filters do you think I might need? Also, where is the fuel solenoid located?

How do you test a fuel filter? (I vaguely remember something about NOT blowing compressed air through them.)

Thanks as Always!

DOC

Last edited: