BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #11  
Ours started as it should then went dead after maybe 1-2 seconds. It was the fuel shut off solenoid.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops
So if you tried to start it several times in a row, it would fire, then shut off in 1-2 seconds? Can you describe where it is located? Was it difficult to replace?

Thanks!

DOC

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #13  
So if you tried to start it several times in a row, it would fire, then shut off in 1-2 seconds? Can you describe where it is located? Was it difficult to replace? Thanks! DOC
I had a similar problem two weeks ago in my BX1500. After replacing both fuel filters in the snow and still getting no fuel from the pump I found the fuel line between the tank and the pump was frozen. I thawed it out with a heat gun and found water in that line, put it back together and it fired right up. Similar problem several days later and I added Diesel 911 to the tank, since then no more problems. I'm guessing I had just a bit of water in the bottom of the fuel tank.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #14  
If you heat with wood, take some hot ashes from the stove, in a bucket and place it under the tractor.
Sounds like it needs heat. Remember, its always best to keep your fuel tanks full, this will keep condensation in the tank at a minimum.
Take a blow dryer to the injection pump, might help.

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #15  
Doc4444, It did not matter how many times I tried to start it, it died. The fuel solenoid is located on the left side of motor. Mine was a bright in color tomato paste can size Part. It has 2 screws and a plug for the the wires. This should not take more than 10 minutes. Nothing to line up, prime or re-time it only goes one way.

Doc4444, It did not matter how many times I tried to start it, it died. The fuel solenoid is located on the left side of motor. Mine was a bright in color tomato paste can size Part. It has 2 screws and a plug for the the wires. This should not take more than 10 minutes. Nothing to line up, prime or re-time it only goes one way.

THANKS! I am going to pick one up along with fuel filters now. I have a heater going all day in the tractor shed, so hopefully it will be above freezing for several hours in there today. If it starts when I get home tonight, it was a frozen fuel line. Then will replace solenoid valve, if that does not work, on to drain tank and replace fuel filters.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

DOC

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #17  
If the fuel filter is clogged, after repeated starts how would it even get enough fuel to even run momentarily?

The 1st time I had an the problem was on my B1700. It had a glass bowl filter. The tractor would start and run for a while at idle but as soon as it was given more throtle it would stall. Wait a few minutes and would start but stall in a few seconds. The fuel filter was removed (bowl with element inside). The filter element was full of ice crystals and I didn't have a spare so I brought it into the house, thawed it out and dried it out by hanging it above the wood stove. ...Put it back in the tractor and it started right up and worked fine for the rest of the day blowing snow.It was allowing fuel to flow through at a minimal rate enough to start but not to continue running. Got to the dealer a few days later and bought a couple new ones but didn't get around to replacing for a couple of weeks...Had a similar issue with an F3060 equipped with a cab and blower but unfortunately the fuel filter on it was the cheap inline type. I fortunately had spares for it due to my previous iced up filter experience....Icing was being caused by condensation and Inow make sure to top up the tank after every winter useage. I clear numerous driveways in the 100' to 400' range (18 this year in a rural estate sub-division and can't afford a failure).

This gents problem could be as others have indicated, but if what he is experiencing happened to me (I currently use a B2650HSDC and RTV900 with a blade), the fuel filter would be my 1st guess.

Kanook

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #18  
Fuel problems sometimes turn out to be electrical. Others have mentioned pump solenoid, fuse, relay.
You may try disconnecting fuel line from filter to check flow. Maybe drain tank and replace with fresh diesel?

/ BX 22 Starts and Immediately Stops #19  
If there is a click sound before it shuts off, I would definitely lean towards electrical. Either the solenoid, relay, or a safety switch. I would especially lean in this direction if it continues to start OK even after many tries. A fuel problem would probably not give you that much slack.

SUCCESS! THANKS TO EVERYONE! (Those who voted for the fuel shutoff solenoid were on target.) Local Kubota dealer service manager was wrong twice, first by claiming the motor would not fire at all if the solenoid was bad and second by assuring me it was a frozen air filter.

Thanks again!

DOC