BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING

/ BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
HI ALL,
My wife wanted me to re do my veggie garden ,on the hill so its all one level,instead of the split level garden i have made ,up on the ledges,I know i should have taken before pics,but you can tell whats going on from the pics.After removing the landties with the thumb,and pulling out all the great top soil,right down to the ledge,im ready to get started.I have stone walls around two sides of my property,so what im doing is driving up collecting a rock,backing 150 ft or so down the drive,and putting them in place.Its kind of fun actually,and i believe quicker than ,getting off and trying to muscle them in the front loader.When i get there i can set them right up in place.I moved 20 or so large rocks in about an hour this way,its great progress,and the best part is i didnt even get off the little bx!The wall is gonna be 3 ft on the lower end and 2 ft on the upper.Its gonna hold back the dirt i haul in to level the garden.When done i will put that rich composted soil i dug out back on top.My daughter took these shots when i was getting started.This rock was tiny compared to some.Im moving slow,and with a bucket full of dirt for ballast.I also got my down riggers partially down during transit,just to be safe.Ill keep taking pics if you folks want as i progress.Heres a pic in transit.
ALAN

Attachments

• 863254-backing up (600 x 450).jpg
    863254-backing up (600 x 450).jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,264
   / BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING
ANOTHER

Attachments

• 863255-100_0610 (600 x 450).jpg
    863255-100_0610 (600 x 450).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,011
ONE MORE BACKING UP

Attachments

• 863257-carrying 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    863257-carrying 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 853
A pic of me placing the rock in its new home.I posted here in KUBOTA so those who dont have a thumb on their bx yet will realize what a great addition it is!!! I LOVE MY THUMB!! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
ALAN

Attachments

• 863268-placeing the rocks (396 x 297).jpg
    863268-placeing the rocks (396 x 297).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 979
   / BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING #5  
Hi Escavader

I see you use the BH without turning the seat around like me.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING #6  
Count me in for wanting to see more pix. Great looking job so far! Glad you're getting as much use out of your thumb as I have been. 2 full seasons for me now. My transport procedure is just the same as yours as is not turning the seat around. A tip, if you haven't thought of it yet: swing the boom, VERY gently, to the uphill side to equalize the balance of the BX ... it will make the bullets that you sweat a much smaller calibre /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Cheers!

/ BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING #7  
How do you "place" the rocks on the wall? I was thinking about building a thumb to build stone walls myself, but you need to turn stones to get them to fit correctly, and you won't be able to do that with a thumb. I am now thinking about using webbing and the backhoe to lift the rocks into place.

/ BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING #8  
I fabed a thumb for my BX-23 last month well worth doing. I do have some pics I would be willing to share but they are just to big to post on here if you would like to see or even try and post them for me send me and email

Thxs
Marc

/ BX,BACK HOE THUMB STONE WALL BUILDING #9  
Thanks to homebrew here are the reduced pics

Attachments

• 864311-DSC05972a.jpg
    864311-DSC05972a.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 619