BX Grass catcher - new vs old version

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #1  

RayBo

Hi all,
Anyone BX grass catcher knows it's far from a pleasure to install and remove.. in fact I did not use mine this year because of that. While it is heavy, the bigger problem is that it's not balanced weight-wise making it very awkward to handle. I apparently have the older version as I have learned here that the newer version has an integrated stand (or legs) that simplify installing and removing this beast. Does anyone have any pictures of the stand or legs, or perhaps has fabbed up something in that regard? I need to do something about managing this thing and would be most appreciative for any ideas.

Thanks!

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #2  
The stand sucks. Mine keeps falling over. Maybe its setup wrong IDK no manual came with it.

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version
Thanks Keyman.. I know, the thing is a beast and hazard to handle. the loader and backhoe are 1000 times easier to put on and take off.

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #4  
Raybo, I must have the new version as I just got it earlier this year and it does have integrated stands. I find it fairly easy to mount/dismount with it up on these stands. When the catcher is off the tractor on the legs/stands the catcher leans back on the legs so it just stands there. (The legs/stand "feet" are angled back, so when you take off the catcher it rolls back on them.) Would be fairly easy to push it over though. I don't have pictures, but I'll take some and try to figure out how to post them.

The catcher is up on the stands leaning back and you just back up to it so the lower catcher mounts are in the backhoe mounts (ready to be lowered into the slots.) Attach the top link and start shortening the top link. As you shorten it the catcher rocks forward on the stand/legs and slowly drops into the bottom BH mounts all the way, and you keep shortening the top link until the upper mounts come up to the BH top pin mounts and you put the pins in. Once its mounted you pull the keys and pins on the stand/legs and they slide up into tubes, re-pin them where they stay stored on the catcher frame in these tubes till you're ready to drop the catcher off again. To take off, just reverse - drop the stand/legs with their angled feet, remove pins, lengthen top link and the catcher will kind of "roll back" onto the stand because of the feet angle.

If you make some I think the key is the angled feet causing the catcher to lean back on them when it's off the tractor.

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #5  
Here are pictures of the integrated legs of the catcher - sorry about the quality...

One side the foot is angled back all the way, the other side the back is at that angle, but also has some foot out the front that "rolls" forward.

Attachments

• DSCN1057.JPG
    DSCN1057.JPG
    416.7 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCN1058.JPG
    DSCN1058.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 342
   / BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #6  
Forgot to mention that there are multiple holes on the holder/tube and the leg so that you can drop them all the way to the ground to dismount the catcher onto the floor, or set higher (like to set it back onto a pallet or something.)

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #7  
I had a BX 22 with the old system. It was a royal PITA to put on by myself. It would be a pretty simple retro fit to weld a bracket to sit in the BH cradle. The thing worked great but was a complete nightmare to install.

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version
GolfAddict - Thank you so much for the description and taking the time to put the pictures up - much appreciated. I bought my catcher in 2006 with the tractor and this was obviously an improvement that was needed! The angling back of the legs makes good sense for removing and installing. I will use your pics as the model to fabricate something up!

Thanks again!

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #9  
...The catcher is up on the stands leaning back and you just back up to it so the lower catcher mounts are in the backhoe mounts (ready to be lowered into the slots.) Attach the top link and start shortening the top link. As you shorten it the catcher rocks forward on the stand/legs and slowly drops into the bottom BH mounts all the way, and you keep shortening the top link until the upper mounts come up to the BH top pin mounts and you put the pins in. Once its mounted you pull the keys and pins on the stand/legs and they slide up into tubes, re-pin them where they stay stored on the catcher frame in these tubes till you're ready to drop the catcher off again. To take off, just reverse - drop the stand/legs with their angled feet, remove pins, lengthen top link and the catcher will kind of "roll back" onto the stand because of the feet angle...

Exactly...hardest part was getting u-joint onto PTO. Struggled w/joint until read board member post to liberally oil splines...now on/off in under 15 minutes...

/ BX Grass catcher - new vs old version #10  
I have the original version and use it all season; don't take it off much since its such a pain. My technique is to use a Harbor Freight transmission jack to hoist it into position combined with casters on wooden inserts which slide into the open ends of the metal feet. That allows it all to roll and the height can be adjusted easily. Side balls first, then top link. Splined connector is hard, but I usually let it slide apart, connect the loose half to the PTO and slide the whole catcher into that. Couldn't do it without the casters. Unfortunately I have to take the framework off in order to move the catcher into a storeroom, and that takes longer than mounting to the tractor. If you're interested I can post some pix of my caster brackets.