BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown?

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #1  

wrooster

Platinum Member
Folks,
It does not appear to me that the BX series has any type of low oil or low oil pressure engine shutdown. Is there a reason for this omission? Is there a way to retrofit something in? Seems like a good idea, and therefore a useful insurance feature if it can be added at reasonable cost.

Wrooster
BX1860

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #2  
Something like that is hard to do even on a small diesel
of any type as they do not function with an ignition spark.

Diesels consume engine oil more readily than gas
engines because of the open to air crankcase breather
which allows the crankcase to vent to atmospere.

Its easier to check the crankcase oil level during use
if you are concerned about the oil level.

_________________________________________________________________Once you go flail you never go back:thumbsup::licking::drool:

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #3  
good question- I'll be following this thread. I think oil pressure is a good idea on the BX. Just to come to think of it.. didnt compact tractorfan add one?

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #4  
Does any tractor or car come standard with engine shut down from low pressure? I don't recall ever driving one with that feature.

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown?
Something like that is hard to do even on a small diesel of any type as they do not function with an ignition spark.
Hard to do? What does lack of an ignition spark have to do with it?

For example -- Kubota uses low oil pressure shutdown on their diesel generators; and, the following generator in particular uses the same D722 3cyl diesel engine as my BX1860:
http://generator.kubota.jp/gl/gl_11000_usa.html

Emergency Stop System - In case of abnormal: Oil pressure, water temperature, or When the access terminal cover is opened (terminal type only)
More detail in the brochure here,
http://generator.kubota.jp/pdf/k-ge_usa.pdf

Wrooster

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown?
Diesels consume engine oil more readily than gas
engines because of the open to air crankcase breather
which allows the crankcase to vent to atmospere.
This differs from a gasoline engine, how exactly? The crankcase breather on a gas engine may route the crankcase gases back to the manifold/intake system, but the net result is the same -- the crankcase vents to the atmosphere.

Its easier to check the crankcase oil level during use
if you are concerned about the oil level.
a) You probably do not have employees/others who use your equipment, and who in turn are 100% diligent/attentive in making sure the oil level is sufficient.
b) How quickly do you think you would notice a major leak due to, for example, a failed oil filter? What extent of engine damage might be done prior to when you noticed the problem?

These are the types of problems I was thinking about in my original post.

Wrooster

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #7  
On the BX series would cutting the power to the electric fuel pump shut the engine down or does the main pump create enough vacuum to keep it running once started? Other wise some sort of fuel solenoid would be required. Not difficult just take some time.

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #8  
My BX doesn't have a shut down, but there is a warning light on the dash. The only stuff I've ever owned with auto shutdown are stationary motors, ie my generator.

My GMC has all kinds of warnings and "limp home" but I don't think it'll shut down completely if it went dry and that thing has some serious computer firepower.

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #9  
Mobile equipment usually doesn't have such a shutdown as the machine could stop in a dangerous situation like crossing a road.

/ BX -- low oil, or low oil pressure engine shutdown? #10  
how about this... add a counting circuit when the oil lamp comes on. if the oil light comes on and the timer goes from 5 secs to zero it would trip a saftey switch circuit that is part of seat/hst pedal start/pto on start that in turn will engage the fuel solenoid on the BX engine to shut it off.
One thing to keep in mind, you will need to have a transistor to disable that low oil shutoff feature when the key is in glow plugs position.
this is gonna take a electronic geek to come up with a circuit board for.