Comparison BX models vs. the small B choices.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #1  

AxleHub

Elite Member
Tractor
Massey scut 2015 GC1715
Greetings,

What can you tell me? I know the BX line very well. But recently I saw a B23xx and a B26xx product at the state fair in MN.

I recognize the B models have a little larger wheels/tires. But what are the differences between bx2370-1 and a B23xx model . . . and also the differences between a BX2670-1 vs a B26xx unit.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #2  
The Bs are a bit heavier, taller, bigger and have a 3 speed transmission vs 2 speed on BX. Ground clearance is also higher on Bs which is one of the major reasons people pick Bs over BXs. I have had several of the two different sizes, both Bs and BXs. Several of us have went back and forth between a B and then a BX and then a B and then a BX. Ground clearance and 2 vs 3 speed transmission is the major difference with even pricing not that much different.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #3  
John covered it pretty well. Not unlike Ford selling Fusion and Focus cars, or Chevrolet selling Malibu and Cruze side by side, sometimes with the same engines.

The B is taller, can have larger front end loaders with more lift capacity, higher center of gravity, more ground clearance and more PTO horsepower in many cases. The BX is more compact and designed with a lower center of gravity and the ability to operate in tighter spaces.

They are "close" models, but different. Each serves their intended purpose well and are targeted to slightly different end users and their needs. For some reason, perhaps because they both use the alphabetic letter "b" in their designation folks can be a bit confused, but both Fords mentioned above start with the letter "F" and both Chevy's referenced above wear a bow-tie. No big deal.

Of course they're very similar, even sharing some common Kubota parts and engines, but they're simply different.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #4  
There are currently 2 frame sizes in the B series, the B01 and the B50, then two horse power models for each frame size: 2301/2601 and 2650/3350. The B2301 has the same engine as the BX2670. The B2601, 2650 and 3350 all have different engines.

I've seen a BX2660 , B2601, and B3350 all lined up. The small B appeared closer is size to the BX, just a tad longer and taller, but looked to be the same width, while the larger B "looked" much larger, longer, wider, and taller by a few inches. As mentioned you get larger tires, 3 range hydro, and increased capacity.

For comparison, the lift capacity of the loaders (at the pins) is stated as 745 lbs for the BX, 948 for B01, and 1146 for B50 series. In the B series they also offer a factory SSQA for the loader, and an option for a factory 3rd function valve. You get some additional bells and whistles on the B50, but the big option is the availability of a cab model.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #6  
I have a BX and a B. And a L and M as well. I find that the BX is a really great mower - I don't have a loader on the BX but it would be useful if I didn't have loaders on the other tractors but it does not have a whole lot of capacity. Would be great for moving mulch and so forth. The B, in between the BX and L is good at mowing and good for the loader. Not great at either but works well. For me it seems that as you grow in size your loader and other tractor capabilities improve but you lose "lawn and yard" type activities so in my situation the BX doesn't leave the yard.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #7  
   / BX models vs. the small B choices. #8  
The OP, AXLEHUB, isn't likely to be confused about the larger, premium B series machines. Those are obviously larger machines and there's no confusion, thus, he didn't really ask about those. The prices on those alone will clear up any foggy headedness about how they relate to a BX :D

It's sometimes the smaller, basic B series, the economy line of the B's that folks wonder about. Still. just because the prices are so similar to the BX tractors and they share many parts in common, they are absolutely targeted to a different user. Is the difference as enormous as the difference between a B3030 and monstrous MX tractor? No. Of course not.

But Kubota "slots" a machine, step by step, increment by incremental difference, all the way from the smallest BX, the 18 horse model, right on up through the economy/standard B's thru the deluxe B's through the basic L's through the Grand L's and on upward toward the M's. They make subtle, small, incremental steps along the way so everyone can find the "perfect fit" for themselves. When you're as big as Kubota is, that's what you do.

Is it confusing to the new shopper? Perhaps. But with a little time and understanding these 40+ different models of Kubota, if lined up side by side, from one end of a Walmart parking lot to the other, would demonstrate how Kubota builds something for everyone. It becomes clearer as you go along. Just remember that each incremental step raises the cost. You can go from $12K to $40K in relatively quick order.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #9  
The OP, AXLEHUB, isn't likely to be confused about the larger, premium B series machines. Those are obviously larger machines and there's no confusion, thus, he didn't really ask about those. The prices on those alone will clear up any foggy headedness about how they relate to a BX :D

I'll disagree a little here. The difference in price between a BX2670 and B2601 is greater than the difference between the price of a B2601 and B2650. That's why you'll see thread comparing the two B models. You get more size and a few more features for not much more money. Assuming the size doesn't cause a problem, I think the B2650 is the best value.

But you are right in that Axlehub specifically asked about the difference between the BX2670 and B2601. Approximately same horse power, but different engines, with the B2601 having more displacement and making is rated power at a lower rpm, dual hydro pumps putting out more total flow, 3 range hydro, position control, telescoping link arms on the 3pt hitch, options factory rear remotes and 3rd function, optional SSQA bucket...that and more for ~$3000 (MSRP) over the BX2670.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #10  
I've owned a BX1500 and recently bought one for SIL for his steep yard. I've owned a BX2200, B7800, B3200, L3240, B2320, B2620 Bx2350, BX2660 and a couple BX25s, Z1xx and a ZD326 and maybe some others along with three Fs and a RTV1140. All Kubota man. Anyway, from my observation and experience. The BX1500 is the best BX mower made in the BX series but not in the league with the Zs and for sure not near the level of theFs. The BX23xx series is a great all around BX and of course the BX25 for the sub compact all in one tool. Notice the lack of mention of the BX2660...It was the MORE POWER BX that did nothing more than the other BXs except it had MORE POWER in Tim the Toolman fashion and it was great. Course the 23 Hp BXs have more power than traction and for sure the BX2660 did. The extras/differences
Approximately same horse power, but different engines, with the B2601 having more displacement and making is rated power at a lower rpm, dual hydro pumps putting out more total flow, 3 range hydro, position control, telescoping link arms on the 3pt hitch, options factory rear remotes and 3rd function, optional SSQA bucket...that and more for ~$3000 (MSRP) over the BX2670. ( Fiziksgeek)
that come on the lowest B to me would move me to the B for sure between those two.