Comparison BX models vs. the small B choices.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #31  
John, did you not have a BX25 that you really liked? Seems I remember your saying it was your favorite tractor of all...
The BX25D-1 should behave that same as it has the same parts... According to the parts manuals, same transmission, linkage damper, etc. If you have a problem, I suspect you might have a defective part.

I have both a BX24 (50 Series) and a BX25D (70 Series). The 25D is here at the shop, the 24 is at home. I have no problem with either of the machines. I actually prefer the sudden stop of the 24 for some of the hazardous areas at my home. I find both machines remarkably handy and easy to use. I would not want to do without either.

John will correct me if I'm wrong, but based on his earlier comments in lots of different threads, I think John's problem with the "roll-on" manifested itself when he was moving very slowly and released the pedal to stop. The tractor continued to roll slowly forward causing him to desperately try to hit the brake, which on the 25D is on the opposite side than it was on his previous tractors. Not finding the brake would have been extremely disconcerting. It was not a case of the tractor continuing forward at a break-neck speed. My 25D exhibited the same characteristic for the first few hours. A tap on the rear pedal to center the HST was all that was required to stop the machine. No brake is required, but that works too. After some few hours, the machine now stops smoothly and reliably with no tendency to creep.

The BXs are equipped with hydraulic damper that works like a cars shock absorber to slow the pedal"s return to the centered, stop position. The 50 Series that John hated so much, had a single action damper that worked only on the forward side. It stopped smoothly when the forward pedal was released but rather quickly when the reverse pedal was released (since the reverse side had no damper). The later 60 and 70 series machines incorporated a different linkage and a 2 way damper to also slow the reverse return. I suspect that this more complicated linkage creates more friction and slows the return until some break-in. At least that seems to have been the case with mine. Perhaps John's tractor has a particularly stiff damper that should be replaced or some other mechanical problem. I have no problem with ether of the machines, and actually prefer the sudden stop for some of the hazardous areas at my home.

At any rate, the machines don't go flying down hills. At worst, when you release the forward pedal, the machine slows to a very slow crawl. Braking with the HST is the same as with the brake pedal. It works on only the rear wheels if the tractor is in 2wd. It works on the front and rear wheels only when 4wd is engaged. The brakes simply stop a shaft in the transmission. Moving the HST pedal to he center position does the same. If the machine is rolling faster than you want, just tap the reverse pedal. Just be ready for the tire squeal.

I think "before the injury/death toll starts to mount" is a bit alarmist. My wife has very little tractor experience, but can handle either of the tractors with no difficulty.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #32  
I thought we covered this on another thread -- JT, you can disconnect the damper and it will likely eliminate the problem. But then it will seem to abrupt. Really, the damper needs some tweaking or adjusting, I think.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices.
John, did you not have a BX25 that you really liked?

Curious Bxpanded. You just spent 5 paragraphs trying to "soften" a real situation Kubota has. I've already talked to a couple more who report similar to what John Thomas did. Apparently the problem is real and not imagined by anyone. The first GM keylock complaints were also labelled alarmists.

I've "got no dog in the hunt" on this . . but others sure do.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #34  
John, did you not have a BX25 that you really liked? Seems I remember your saying it was your favorite tractor of all...I did, I did for a fact
The BX25D-1 should behave that sameI agree, I agree totally and all HSTs should react the same and I've had several and this is the only one that does this not stop when the go pedal is released as it has the same parts... According to the parts manuals, same transmission, linkage damper, etc. If you have a problem, I suspect you might have a defective part. Barlows and Barlows master mechanic doesn't seem to think so or all BX25D-1s have the same defective part which is my point. It's defective and Kubota won't admit it

I have both a BX24 (50 Series) and a BX25D (70 Series). The 25D is here at the shop, the 24 is at home. I have no problem with either of the machines. I actually prefer the sudden stop of the 24 for some of the hazardous areas at my home.( I was not using my BX2350 for hazardous areas where I wanted neck snapping abrupt stop in reverse, I was using mine exclusively for mowing at the time which required lots of back and forth which was horrible especially knowing that no other HST I'd owned reacted this way and why just do it on one machine model, the BXxx50 series after not doing whatever on the previous series or the later series I find both machines remarkably handy and easy to use. I would not want to do without either. I like having multiple machines also and all of the ones I currently own are HSTs and should all react the same. My RTV will throw me thru the windshield if I let off quick but can be let off slow and come to a smooth stop which the BXxx50 would not do

John will correct me if I'm wrong, but based on his earlier comments in lots of different threads, I think John's problem with the "roll-on" manifested itself when he was moving very slowly and released the pedal to stop. The tractor continued to roll slowly forward And I never thought a lot about it since I was just moving it into my garage but when I used it for a critical load on someone elses truck and it kept rolling slowly forward after the pedal was releasedcausing him to desperately try to hit the brake, which on the 25D is on the opposite side than it was on his previous tractors. Not finding the brake would have been extremely disconcerting. It was for the second or two until I tapped the HST pedal into reverse, since I've been using HST tractors for years I knew to do thisIt was not a case of the tractor continuing forward at a break-neck speed.It was not because I was not approaching the side of the truck at break neck speed, was actually creeping forward very slowly My 25D exhibited the same characteristic for the first few hours. A tap on the rear pedal to center the HST was all that was required to stop the machine. No brake is required, but that works too. After some few hours, the machine now stops smoothly and reliably with no tendency to creep.

[/So your saying you BX25D will dead stop on a down hill run and not keep on slowly rolling when you release the brake pedal in the same distance as your BX24?B]

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #35  
Wait, Harry. Do you have the BX25D or the Bx25D-1? And aren't they from different uears? Maybe that explains the difference between the performance of your BX and that of Johnthomas?

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #36  
Having looked at the BX 2370 yesterday and thinking how nice it was to sit on, I'll be watching this thread closely. Should have driven that one perhaps but the dealer here is on flat ground, no hills, however my acreage has many hills and some sleep ones to boot. Is this rolling issue on other Kub tractors as well, or just the 25-D or is it the 25D-1? How about the BX2370 units? are they not the 25D but without the backhoe? I feel Johns concern as I am too old now to be rolling down hill!

Ricn

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #37  
Wait, Harry. Do you have the BX25D or the Bx25D-1? And aren't they from different uears? Maybe that explains the difference between the performance of your BX and that of Johnthomas?

I have the BX25D. The parts manual shows no changes in the functional parts (linkage, damper, transmission) from the D to the D-1. They should behave the same. Actually, it should behave the same as the BX25 as the parts listing shows it to have the same damper as well.

To answer John's question, "will it come to a complete stop going down hill? Neither the BX24 nor the D will come to a COMPLETE Stop. Both will come to a near stop, but will continue to roll slowly down the steep hill unless you touch the rear pedal. Interestingly enough, my 1972 (43 years old) International Harvester Cub Cadet with hydrostatic trans behaves the same way when moved to the neutral position. I'm curious if later model HST lawn tractors do the same??? Just head down a hill and let off the pedal... Does it come to a complete stop? I haven't driven one of the late mowers so I'm curious now.

On flat pavement, from full speed in high range, full throttle, the D comes to a complete stop in just about the length of the tractor when the pedal is released. The BX24 is similar. I tested the BX24 last evening and the BX25D this morning. I think at least some readers are getting the impression that the tractor continues to fly along at the breath-taking 8 mph top speed. The BX24 has no damper on the reverse pedal and can stop very quickly in reverse if not operated judiciously. It feels no different in forward.

As I've said before, I had a slow speed experience similar to John's. While moving the machine in a very tight spot, doing some precise positioning, the tractor crept forward a few inches before I got it stopped. This happened when the machine was near 0 hours. After a few hours of use, it never happened again and now stops reliably.

John, is yours behaving differently than mine?

/ BX models vs. the small B choices.
I have the BX25D. The parts manual shows no changes in the functional parts (linkage, damper, transmission) from the D to the D-1. They should behave the same. Actually, it should behave the same as the BX25 as the parts listing shows it to have the same damper as well.

To answer John's question, "will it come to a complete stop going down hill? Neither the BX24 nor the D will come to a COMPLETE Stop. Both will come to a near stop, but will continue to roll slowly down the steep hill unless you touch the rear pedal. Interestingly enough, my 1972 (43 years old) International Harvester Cub Cadet with hydrostatic trans behaves the same way when moved to the neutral position. I'm curious if later model HST lawn tractors do the same??? Just head down a hill and let off the pedal... Does it come to a complete stop? I haven't driven one of the late mowers so I'm curious now.

On flat pavement, from full speed in high range, full throttle, the D comes to a complete stop in just about the length of the tractor when the pedal is released. The BX24 is similar. I tested the BX24 last evening and the BX25D this morning. I think at least some readers are getting the impression that the tractor continues to fly along at the breath-taking 8 mph top speed. The BX24 has no damper on the reverse pedal and can stop very quickly in reverse if not operated judiciously. It feels no different in forward.

As I've said before, I had a slow speed experience similar to John's. While moving the machine in a very tight spot, doing some precise positioning, the tractor crept forward a few inches before I got it stopped. This happened when the machine was near 0 hours. After a few hours of use, it never happened again and now stops reliably.

John, is yours behaving differently than mine?

I have personally never driven a quality brand product with HST that would not come to a complete stop on a normal steep downhill slope. That includes cub cadet mowers and sc2400, kubota units I've test driven (gr2120, bx1870-1 and bx2370), and Massey gc 1705 and gc 1715.

Bxpanded . . you seem hung up on the parts side of things . . And yet the units in the newer BX25D units are not behaving like the prior ones EVEN after servicing.

This is a problem that if I owned one would force me not to be able to use it on any of my hills and slopes. It would put me in physical jeopardy as well as any personal property.

I'll repeat my prior statement: whether a driver is in 2wd or 4wd going down an APPROVED (by Kubota) slope angle, the potential to have NO braking capability is large and extremely dangerous. And it is not because of operator error (if in 4wd) . . it is because the hst in the newer Kubota bx25d is not able to do what all other hst units do (including past Kubota product).

Now you can talk about parts diagrams all you want . . but if Kubota has such a serious problem and the dealers can't adjust it after multiple attempts . . then it needs to be recalled before bodies or property are harmed.

Whethet this problem exists in the newer bx2370-1 and bx2670-1 I can't say. But ever hst needs to be able to offer braking and speed control on apprived slope angles in 4wd. Its not an option . . Its a must.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #39  
It's not really the HST, it's most certainly the damper on the pedal. You could test this theory by manually moving the pedal back to center with your foot. If the tractor then comes to a stop, it means the damper is too slow. Can't remember if I said this in any of the other threads, but I have experienced a slow/stuck damper linkage (due to needing lube) on a B model, and it exhibited the same problem people are reporting on the BX now. I don't think the BX has a stuck damper linkage, but rather that the dampers are not sized right, or maybe the return spring is not strong enough for the dampers. All of this is easy to troubleshoot with your foot. With all the smart people here on TBN, I'm sure people could figure out a fix regardless of how you feel about Kubota. I know if it were me and Kubota wasn't able to fix it, I'd get right on it.

/ BX models vs. the small B choices. #40  
My BX has a grease fitting under the mat for the pedal...

Helped out a guy with a sticking pedal... he said he never greased it because he didn't realize it was there.