BX Series - Cold weather starting problems?

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #21  
I agree w/Neil...fuel issue.

Diesel fuel contains paraffin wax, which crystallizes as temps drop. Clumps of wax can restrict the filter, causing fuel flow problems. As temps continue to fall, the fuel will gel and stop flowing altogether. The temps at which "clouding" and "gelling" occur depend on the diesel blend. Use an anti-gel/fuel conditioner additive all year 'round...you just might find winter upon you while you still have "summer blend" fuel in the tank...

Proper use of glow plugs aids cold weather starting by pre-heating the combustion chamber. Diesels ignite fuel in the cylinders by the heat of compression. Glow plugs (and block heaters) reduce the cranking strain on the battery/starter...but won't do a thing for clouded/gelled fuel.

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #22  
Thanks for the reply.

Just went into town and bought a few more gallons of fresh diesel. It's curently being heated (slightly) in the mud room. I'll add some Power service 911 'for winter emergencies'. I'm thinking that if I can just warm up the little fuel that is in the tank now, it might do the trick. If not, I can siphon and clean the filter...
Snoho3
That filter will be very hard to bring back. It will plague you until you change it.
larry

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #23  
Greetings folks,

Even though this wasn't my thread, I did jump in and hijack/ask a related question a few days ago. Many thanks for your patience and replies.

By way of an update, I did get my B7800 running, after changing out the fuel, clelaning the filter (about 3 times!) and finally blowing out the fuel line between the tank and the filter. Diesel doesn't taste very good.

Finished clearing the driveway and all is right with the world. Mostly.

Thanks again and hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

Snoho3

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #24  
FUEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without a doubt the most common service issue we have in the winter is from guys who don't treat their fuel. Its $8 for enough to treat 250 gallons. We sell the stuff on our website if you need it. Everyones fuel is mixed differently, so some people many have problems and others have not.

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems?
...I have a BX22... and it was around -10. I tried several times to get it started after glowing for 20-30 seconds. It would fire a couple times and die... The way I eventually got it started was by glowing 20-30 seconds, crank the engine until it fired, then just backed off the key to the glow position until the engine got some rpms on it...

A big THANK YOU to all who replied.

My neighbor finally got his BX22 started using a procedure very similar the one described here by Jeff. Fresh treated fuel has been added to the tank, and the tractor is acting as though it has been granted a new lease on life.

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #26  
I've had filter problems on my BX2350, they've clogged up twice. To me the fuel looked clear but I have no reference as to what clouded fuel looks like. I was by the gas station where I usually buy fuel and saw a little sign on there that said their blend "may contain up to 20% biodiesel". Now I've begun to wonder about that stuff. I used about twice the Powerservice normally used when I last got fuel but it still clogged the primary filter.

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #27  
One thing most people don't know about treating fuel. Once the fuel is gelled, you must heat it up to 20-30F ABOVE the gel point and hold it there for 6-12 hours to get it to go back. Also, the additives don't work very well at solving gel once it occurs. They PREVENT the gel by depressing the gel point. I use "Howes Diesel Treat" an additive sold in farm supply stores and truck stops that is made in Canada. It works better for me than the PS white bottle (far and away better).

When you use a product like Diesel 911 that does melt the gel, you should drop the filter bowl and fill the bowl 1/2 way with the 911 product after warming and clearing the filter (or better yet just replacing it).

Winter is harsh - best to start with the additives in September or better yet all year.

jb

/ BX Series - Cold weather starting problems? #28  
I use a product called Diesel Aid or Diesel Aid+ Cetane.

Works great, never had a gelling issue and it can get to -20F around here.