Grading BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade
Alright, I think I have a game plan. Unless I can get the 5 foot box blade for a SCREAMING good deal, I'll spend the extra $$ and get the 4 footer.

Thanks all!!

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #12  
Sheesh, I must have been brain dead yesterday; don't know how I read box blade but thought rear blade.

My Gannon box blade is 42". In my dry clay, it will barely go anywhere. In the hardpan it won't go at all. I have to rip with the subsoiler or rototill first, then use the BB to move the loose soil. It is most useful when regrading the gravel drive. With the turf tires on, the tires frequently just spin when I hit a snag. With the ag tires, it will sometimes snag and stop, but the wheels don't spin.

With a lighter model and better soil conditions, 4' would be o.k. In my thinking, 5' is just too much on a BX. I like the size of this Gannon, but it is heavier than other BBs of similar width. Gannon is now owned by Woods, and I am not sure what the Gannon unit of Woods currently offers in the way of a BB.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #13  
fish6942 said:
...get the 4 footer.
Having a fair amount of seat time with my 4' box, I could not see a BX being able to effectively pull a 5' box. There is just too much contact area.

One of the best things with a box blade is being able to dig into the dirt and pull a high side into a low side...with a 5' box, you could never get sufficient traction. I run out of traction VERY quickly with my 4' box. Granted, I have turf tires, but who cares on hard-pan clay. Nothing for the Ags to bite into anyway.

No way to go in my mind but a 4' box.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #14  
Have Bx2230 with loader 60 inch deck and turf tires. Found that the 4 foot Orange King Kutter XB series box blade is a good match in size for lift and pulling capacity for the tractor. I think that the full size 4 and or the 5 foot would be way too much of a load and is hard to lift high enough to get over some of the dirt mounds that I smooth out. In hard pack conditions you may not be able to drop all of the rippers. With the size of the transmission on the Bx and the lack of a seperate oil cooler I do not try to place large ground engaging loads on the machine but I am lucky as I do have a Grand L to do the heavy work. I feel some people may be better suited with a B series if they are going to do heavy plowing or grading.

David Kb7uns

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #15  
KeithInSpace said:
but who cares on hard-pan clay. Nothing for the Ags to bite into anyway.

I agree with Keith on width. In my own experience, however, on my hardpan and clay, my turfs spin and the ags do not.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #16  
I noticed you live in Minnesota... I purchased my 4' XB King Kutter Box Blade at Fleet Farm for roughly $379 plus tax. Check to see if you have a Fleet Fram near you.

Good Luck.....

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #17  
I use a 5ft King Kutter box blade on my 7510 to maintain about 1/2 mile of gravel drive. But no hills and no scarfs. I like it because it sticks out past the real wheels, so it can get gravel that's piled up on the edges. Don't think I could pull it if I was trying to move soil, but works great on the gravel.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #18  
I have a 2350 and a 5ft box blade with about 100lbs ballast attached to the box. It isn't the heavest made box blade but it does the job. I can have gravel running over the top of it and the tractor just keeps going. I have never really tried it without the FEL so I don't know how it would pull it without the weight on the front but if you have a FEL don't be scared of a 5' box but don't get the heavest one on the lot either. I feel if you have turf tires it probably wouldn't pull it very well but I have R4's and have zero problems in dirt or gravel.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #19  
I just got 4 foot BB (Woods GBC48) on a BX24 with turf tires and I was amazed what the BX24 could pull. This was very hard packed "crushed bank". With teeth half way down it ripped through like butter. The box could fill to the top and it would keep on trucking. This is considered light duty (I think it's like 300 lbs) and I didn't feel I needed to add weight at all. Very happy with it. I'm glade it didn't weight more because it would just be harder to wiggle around when mounting it.

/ BX2350 and a 5 foot box blade #20  
I have a BIG 5' box blade on my BX23. It's a little too much, but the machine handles it well enough. I put ballast in the FEL, switch to 4WD and it moves a LOT of dirt (I'm on rocky clay).

Your problem will be tires. My dealer absolutely refused to even discuss putting on turfs. And he was right - my ags barely have enough grip.

Edit: Be careful with some of the smaller BB's. Somebody on here put a ripping tooth through a back tire with one. Don't remember the make, might wanna search.