Backhoe BX24 1 - tree stump zero

/ BX24 1 - tree stump zero #21  
Those are the pictures they need in the BX brochure instead of the well dressed guy in a button down polo shirt with a 30 lb potted plant in the bucket on a perfectly manicured lawn on a shiny tractor.

:laughing: nearly spit my coffee over this but yeah I agree! Thank goodness for TBN!! :thumbsup::cool:

/ BX24 1 - tree stump zero
What, you guys have a hard time justifying the $15K cost of the tractor to friends when you show them pics of the machine carrying potted plants or bails of hay? It is one beefy 5 gallon pot carrier ....

Last edited:
   / BX24 1 - tree stump zero #23  
Those are the pictures they need in the BX brochure instead of the well dressed guy in a button down polo shirt with a 30 lb potted plant in the bucket on a perfectly manicured lawn on a shiny tractor.

Some guys still use theirs this way!!:laughing:

/ BX24 1 - tree stump zero #26  
Me neither!! I think if Kubota saw how I used mine at times...they would NOT approve!!

pshaw !!!! its a tractor after all.... not a Cadillac.:laughing:

/ BX24 1 - tree stump zero #27  
bx24 said:
Even after the two hours of digging, the smaller roots still held it tight right up until the point where it let go. Without a BH, I don't think a wrecker could have pulled this out

We have about 4 hours of a spade, crowbar and pick axe into this. We are about 3/4 done. This tree is down at about a 15 degree angle uphill on a 10 degree slope. I've gotten above it on the hill and under it with my bucket and tipped it up to about a 45 degree angle. There is about 10 feet of trunk left on it. I've had the tractor balanced on the rear wheels, lifting the trunk up and pushing forward so that the trunk and rear tires form a very stable tripod. But I can't push/lift it any further yet because of the remaining root that goes straight up the hill. Hopefully this week...

/ BX24 1 - tree stump zero #28  
Not sure if this belongs in this thread or not but I am planning on tackling the job of stump removal.40 foot Maple with 2 foot diameter stump. I have a BX 24 with FEL and BH. I am still experimenting with the BH at this time and learning how to use it, digging holes and drain lines is actually fun now. I find that it has a lot of power but that it tends to move the tractor a lot when up against immoveable objects. I have the outriggers planted firmly and down far enough to lift rear wheels almost off the ground (I was told not to do that) and the FEL firmly planted into ground with down pressure. The BH still shakes and moves the BX all over the place. I am thinking maybe i need to add weight to the tractor or start taking smaller bites more frequently. Opinions or comments welcome. I was also wanting to ask what RPM I should use for working the BH? Thanks in advance for any ideas as I am new and still learning somewhat.

/ BX24 1 - tree stump zero #29  
BX2230 1 - tree stump 0 :thumbsup:

You guys and your weenie backhoes! Here's my stump I just yanked out. OK, it wasn't quite 10 feet, but about 6 plus the ball from the hole. I put my pick axe in the pics for perspective. The camera is as close to level as I could eyeball it, but suffice it to say that with this much bone dry loose soil on the slope, it is difficult just to walk up this. What made this even more fun is the numerous 3-12 inch rocks that were piled up at the base of the tree. You couldn't dig anything without hitting a rock first. After you found one, they were constantly under foot. I think they were multiplying like rabbits.

I dug about 20 shovels with my spade, then chopped about 20 times with the pickaxe to get that last big root and it finally relented to go from 45 degrees to straight up. Then I wrapped a tow strap around it an pulled it over and down the hill.

I had to try to roll it over to get my strap off and I could barely lift it enough to roll it with 200 lbs of fluid, 100 lbs of wheel weight, 275 lbs on the 3ph, and 200++ lbs of me on the seat. Oh, and it was 96 degrees with a heat index of 105.

Bah!-ckhoes. Who needs 'em? :laughing:

DSC01467.jpg DSC01468.jpg DSC01472.jpg DSC01475.jpg DSC01476.jpg