BX25 50 hour service

/ BX25 50 hour service #1  

Jeff H

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Well I did my 50 hour oil change this weekend at 48.9 hours on the hour meter. I changed the engine oil and filter, the HST oil and filter and cleaned the screen, and changed the two fuel filters, and changed the front axle oil. The air filter looked fine, just wiped out the little bit of dirt in the housing.

Might have been more than what is listed for the 50 hour service, but I wanted to do it all for the first one.

No significant metal shavings on the screen, just a few tiny ones. There was however a few of what looked like cloth fibers, maybe from a shoprag used to wipe something during assembly?

The new improved factory fan protection plate did not have to be removed to take off the HST filter for anyone that is still wondering about that. It did however add to the challenge of getting the aft clamp off of the lower fuel filter, but you can get to it.

Figuring out how to get the HST screen out without leaving tool marks in it was also a challenge. There was not enough there to grab it with my fingers. I finally got an oak survey stake cut with a nice square end on it and was able to catch the little groove at an angle and tap it with a hammer until it popped loose. Is there an official Kubota tool out there that fits in that groove?

When I peeled back that little flap on the rubber floormat to grease the pedal pivot grease fitting the rubber cracked instead of bending. That didn't make me too happy. No I wasn't out in the cold, it was about 60F in the garage.

I solved the "how to pour 5 gallons of expensive SUDT neatly" dilemma. I bought a battery powered kerosene pump for $15 at Lowes. It uses 2 D cells, and is meant for a 5 gallon can of kerosene, so it worked perfect. Nice and controlled I used it to fill the HST and the front axle. I have another one I use to fill the tractor with diesel. They are cheap enough that you can buy one for each fluid and not have to worry about cross contamination.

/ BX25 50 hour service #2  
Sounds like you did well. I particularly like the idea of pumping the HST fluid. Good job. Did you consider using 80w-90 or 75w-90 gear oil in the front axle?
While I believe Sudt is awesome for the trans, I just have a better feeling about gear oil for the tough work the front axle has to do.

/ BX25 50 hour service #3  
Sounds like you did well. I particularly like the idea of pumping the HST fluid. Good job. Did you consider using 80w-90 or 75w-90 gear oil in the front axle?
While I believe Sudt is awesome for the trans, I just have a better feeling about gear oil for the tough work the front axle has to do.

I agree with BP Fick on this one. I did NOT use gear oil on my previous services but have 80W-90 in the garage waiting for my 600 hour service (25 hours away) to switch. Not sure why I did not change before??:confused:

Now I am going to the Lowe's website to look for the pump!!

Deano

/ BX25 50 hour service
About the only time I will use 4WD is during winter snow removal so I opted to go with the SUDT.

/ BX25 50 hour service #5  
The front axle holds a small amount of fluid, relative to the trans, thus, one can afford to change it often.

The BX manual states either a udt or axle oil. I wouldn't have paid much attention to the choice, except my dealer seemed to make a real point of it. I am not sure why he did that, but he did. Quote. "We recommend you drop that fluid virtually when you get it home and replace with semi-synthetic 75w-90."

Since that is exactly what I have used for years and years in the lower unit of my Mercury outboard, it just clicked with me. That's all.

Again, I love the idea of doing something other than pouring from a heavy 5 gallon bucket of sudt. A guy like me could easily dump $5 worth onto the shop floor. :D:D

/ BX25 50 hour service
Here is the one I bought at the store. On the Lowes site look up "siphon pump" .

I believe it is a seasonal item, so don't wait until summer to go buy one, it might not be on the shelf then.

/ BX25 50 hour service #7  
I spoke with Kubota Co. service tech and he recommended gear oil in the front axle with fel on my B3030 and that's what I did at the 50 hour.

/ BX25 50 hour service #8  
The front axle holds a small amount of fluid, relative to the trans, thus, one can afford to change it often.

The BX manual states either a udt or axle oil. I wouldn't have paid much attention to the choice, except my dealer seemed to make a real point of it. I am not sure why he did that, but he did. Quote. "We recommend you drop that fluid virtually when you get it home and replace with semi-synthetic 75w-90."

Since that is exactly what I have used for years and years in the lower unit of my Mercury outboard, it just clicked with me. That's all.

Again, I love the idea of doing something other than pouring from a heavy 5 gallon bucket of sudt. A guy like me could easily dump $5 worth onto the shop floor. :D:D

I agree and that is why I put in Amsoil's Severe Gear 75W-90 at the 50 hour mark..Sad part was the fluid (super UDT or whatever was gray and smelled bad). I think the front diff is like 5 qts but that was 2 years ago.