BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #1  

polarred21

Gold Member
Tractor
Contemplating
BX25 Backhoe Thumb vs. Loader Grapple

I know the grapple is much more versatile for it's designed used, but how easy is it to pick-up and drive with a small or large log with the BH thumb?

What is the BH thumb's best use?

Thanks

Last edited:
   / BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #2  
The Thumb is very adept at handling logs, both big and small. That's one of the jobs I really need my thumb to excel at, as I have absolutely no interest in manhandling those big, heavy, bulky items.

Joe

Attachments

• 181701_1846835458895_1480934516_2002146_3080331_n.jpg
    181701_1846835458895_1480934516_2002146_3080331_n.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 251
  • 184620_1790994888501_1048496718_2092365_3162677_n.jpg
    184620_1790994888501_1048496718_2092365_3162677_n.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 0406121440.jpg
    0406121440.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 252083_1948189346054_1282194262_31881586_4234086_n.jpg
    252083_1948189346054_1282194262_31881586_4234086_n.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 1001131037.jpg
    1001131037.jpg
    928.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 1001131020.jpg
    1001131020.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 1001131014.jpg
    1001131014.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 300
   / BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #3  
I know what you are thinking and I was there. In fact till about two days before I bought my machine I had the thumb included on my machine. The mechanical thumb is MUCH cheaper. IIRC I paid $1200 there abouts for my LP grapple.

I made my choice in talking to people that had a thumb on their big backhoe's....they said they used them, (theirs are all power) for picking up rocks out of holes they dig....I told them what I wanted to do with my machine and they said yea it will do it but it will be slower, and not near as easy to put the ties where you want them. I have never used the thumb but I think I can agree with that statement. Get off machine, turn seat around un pin backhoe, put down feet, deploy mechanical thumb, grab whatever...then reverse to move....move then re-do everything to put it back. Ok....perhaps I could skip a step here and there, but I think the grapple is going to be much faster....I almost went with the mechanical thumb as I am the guy with the tightest wallet you will ever talk to, but the wife talked me into the grapple and now I am real glad she did.

If I was to say there is a draw back to the LP grapple it is where the guts have to mount...so close to your foot. There has got to be a better spot somewhere.

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #4  
I now have both - just got the LP grapple but haven't really used it yet. I've had a Bro Tek BH thumb since I bought my BX25 three years ago. I like to use it for stump removal for one. Assuming its a tree I"m going to cut, I leave 3-4' of trunk on the stump and then use the BH bucket and thumb clamped on the stem to move it in all directions. This loosens up the roots some. I then go to digging the roots then back to the bucket/thumb to rock the stump some more. You could do this with the grapple, but would have to turn the tractor around first. A little inconvenient. The other advantage of the thumb over a grapple would be for rocks, etc., that are buried below grade a foot or more. Unless you have a large hole, you won't be able to get the grapple down there to pick it out. I foresee using the grapple for above grade/at grade loose material for the most part.

On the other hand, all the available BX thumbs are manually deployed, so you do have to get off the hoe to deploy it and vice-versa when you're done. You can try leaving it partially deployed while digging, but it gets in the way eventually. Having a hydraulic version would be the best, but not something you can get OEM or aftermarket. You'd have to fab something up with a valve and cylinder to make one hydraulic. Something I keep thinking about how to do someday. :licking:

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #5  
I have the BH thumb from Bro-Tek also. It is great for tasks like those Chris mentions, pulling stumps out of the hole, rocks out, etc. I think anytime you are down working below grade and need to grab something. I've also used it to load a bunch of stumps into a trailer after digging them out and leaving them in a pile. (If I had a grapple, that task would be easier with the grapple.)

To your question, I have picked up logs (and rocks also) and driven the tractor to where I wanted to drop them. I know it's not recommended, but I actually just turned in my seat to work the hoe and grab, then turned back to drive.

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #6  
A grapple and thumb have totally different uses. Grapples are good for picking up brush with the FEL, or holding a small log in the grasp but not much use for anything else. I use the hydraulic thumb on my B26 all the time, picking up larger rocks than I could pick up by hand and placing them in my dump bed on the RTV. It is much safer to use the hoe to gently set it in the bed than dumping it out of an FEL. Also very handy in pulling stumps and even small saplings, just clamp them with the thumb and pull them out roots and all.
The best think of course would be to have both, but if I only had one it would be the hydraulic thumb. I don't think I would like a manual operated thumb though for reasons stated about having to move it by hand and it getting in the way of digging.
A grapple would be the thing to use for transporting brush/ logs etc. A thumb really should only be used to pick up and deposit material while the tractor is stationary with the outriggers down. You can get into trouble quickly trying to haul a heavy object with the back hoe extended.

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #7  
The Thumb is very adept at handling logs, both big and small. That's one of the jobs I really need my thumb to excel at, as I have absolutely no interest in manhandling those big, heavy, bulky items.

Joe
What you have is a grapple not a thumb. Thumbs go on a backhoe. Grapples go on the FEL.

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #8  
I now have both - just got the LP grapple but haven't really used it yet. I've had a Bro Tek BH thumb since I bought my BX25 three years ago. I like to use it for stump removal for one. Assuming its a tree I"m going to cut, I leave 3-4' of trunk on the stump and then use the BH bucket and thumb clamped on the stem to move it in all directions. This loosens up the roots some. I then go to digging the roots then back to the bucket/thumb to rock the stump some more. You could do this with the grapple, but would have to turn the tractor around first. A little inconvenient. The other advantage of the thumb over a grapple would be for rocks, etc., that are buried below grade a foot or more. Unless you have a large hole, you won't be able to get the grapple down there to pick it out. I foresee using the grapple for above grade/at grade loose material for the most part.

On the other hand, all the available BX thumbs are manually deployed, so you do have to get off the hoe to deploy it and vice-versa when you're done. You can try leaving it partially deployed while digging, but it gets in the way eventually. Having a hydraulic version would be the best, but not something you can get OEM or aftermarket. You'd have to fab something up with a valve and cylinder to make one hydraulic. Something I keep thinking about how to do someday. :licking:

I should have referred to my current Avatar pic which shows my BX25 picking up a tree stump using the BH thumb. The shrubs in front of our house were overgrown after 20 years. Would have killed me to pull those all out with a pick and shovel. Anyway, here's a full res version of the pic. Threw in one using the thumb to move a good size rock too, though I'd probably do that now with the grapple.

Attachments

• BX25 firewood work 003.jpg
    BX25 firewood work 003.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Seat Time 007.jpg
    Seat Time 007.jpg
    460 KB · Views: 1,630
   / BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #9  
What you have is a grapple not a thumb. Thumbs go on a backhoe. Grapples go on the FEL.
Gary, I know what you are saying, but the product name IS 'The Thumb'. Not a BH thumb, but a Thumb nonetheless. :D

/ BX25 Thumb vs. Grapple #10  
Gary, I know what you are saying, but the product name IS 'The Thumb'. Not a BH thumb, but a Thumb nonetheless. :D

What he said! ;) Actually, the wording of the original post left me questioning which "thumb" the OP was referring to. I figured a few pics of my "thumb" handling some logs could still get a few gears turning as the OP ponders what might benefit his particular situation.

Joe