Cable chains for tractor tires?

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #1  

North to Alaska

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4520r
Did a little scouting online but found nothing. I have to little clearance for regular chains. My other options are studs and cable chains.

tire sized are
16.9x24
12x16.5

not sure if cable chains would hold up under the stress of a 7,000# tractor anyway.

hoping for any insight

thank you!

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #2  
Where is clearance issue? If on inside of tire, can tire spacing be widened? Some people have added spacers for extra width.
Chains are excellent for snow and ice. You will find a variety of opinions on which chains are best, if you need best, and how much to spend.
Any chain is better than no chains.

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #3  
IMG_0631.JPG

These are low profile for clearance issues. I have them on my L4060.

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #4  
   / Cable chains for tractor tires? #5  
Do you have 2 piece rims on your tractor? If so are they set to the widest setting? I think you should be able to set the wheels wide enough to allow for the chains. No money to make the the tires to set out.

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #6  
I'd think that you'll be very disappointed with the cable style. With the deep lugs only a few inches of each cross cable will be in contact with the ground. This condition exists with regular "ladder" style chains also but the chain, crudely having a 3/4" - 1" "diameter" has at least some contact down in between the lugs where the skinny cable would only contact where it passes over a lug.

Last edited:
   / Cable chains for tractor tires?
Clearance is a little less than 1” between tire and fender.
I believe the rims are set to their widest.
The Aquiline and Tryggs both look promising. I do forget just how expensive chains can be😬.

I did try basic roofing screws last winter and they worked very well for grip…until they eventually pulled out(expected that)
There are studs that have wide threads meant for this I may try. Grip studs is one. Less cost upfront but likely to eventually come out? Less grip than chains.

then there is the problem of getting things shipped to Alaska. Not sure I can get access to those chains.

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #8  
I can sure see the problem. I don't think I've ever seen a tractor with so little clearance between the tire and the fender. It might look cool and streamlined I guess, but is of no practical value and is in fact detrimental to some applications as you are finding out.
branson.jpg

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #9  
If you can't find what you need for the rears, I'd still get a set for the fronts if there are no issues there clearance wise.
I have had good success with simple 4 link ladder chains.
In your position, I'd get a set of 2 link ladder chain for the fronts.

usa-skid-steer-ladder-2-link.jpg

/ Cable chains for tractor tires? #10  
I'm down in Valdez and my dealer installed 3" spacers on my Kubota for chain clearance. The chains that Citydude posted will work if you can get them. I tried chains for about a week and removed them. It felt like I was driving on an extension ladder. I switched to screw in studs. https://www.koldkutter.com/products-1 Takes time to install and remove in the spring but I have the time to do it. I got stuck two times. Once out at the road but the snow was light and fluffy and I drove off into a pile 5' deep. Same up by the house, my fault. It was a light fluffy snow year last year. Ice was no problem and going up my 10 degree drive was no issue unless I was pushing heavy stuff from the state plow. Not much snow here last year maybe 280" and that was it.