Can a diesel engine run on gas. .

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #21  
Unless fuel is different in the US ... diesel distillate and petrol/gas mixes well.

There are a few of grades of diesel, cross contamination and even partial with a cheaper "extender" substitution. Over our way a few years back we had an issue with petrol/gas being adulterated leading to issues. Diesel there's talk they sometimes let way too much wax fraction into diesel during hot summer periods, not just a summer blend but scorcher blend.

Interesting bit about deliberately mixing it in during the cold at wikipedia ... but applies to older engine design.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #22  
BOOM!!!!!

willy

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #23  
We had an apprentice (Dan) years ago that filled up a diesel welding machine with regular gas. He then got the nickname "Diesel Dan" , and it stuck with him for the rest of his life!

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #24  
Been there, had it done.
I've had diesels since a '79 VW Rabbit (65mpg:) ). So I've always been very careful. Traveled TDY to Europe quite a bit usually in a group.
Friend put about 5 liters of gas into a rental VW TDI, then topped it off w/ diesel (~60L total).
Ran rough as HE%%. But we found if we mixed it it would run. So for a few days we'd come out of places, jump on the fenders and shake it up. Really got odd looks.
Had the reverse happen, luckily to lawnmower, put diesel in a gas engine.
Son filled up small pull start lawnmower, darn near wore out my arm before I thought to sniff the tank.
IIRC in general older diesels can take up to 25% gas and still function.

Last edited:
   / Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #25  
If you're lucky, not too much damage occurred. After you have drained every last ounce of contaminated fuel out, I think that just to err on the side of caution, I would change the oil and the replace the fuel filter.

Last edited:
   / Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #26  
Good thing this wasn't a late model diesel truck. It is not unheard of that the proud owner of say a Ford 6.7 liter diesel pickup shells out upwards of $10,000 to undo such a mistake. Crazy money!

As for putting tainted fuel BACK into the fuel tank after diluting with additional diesel? Not me. Not even on a bet! Dispose that junk.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #27  
Good thing this wasn't a late model diesel truck. It is not unheard of that the proud owner of say a Ford 6.7 liter diesel pickup shells out upwards of $10,000 to undo such a mistake. Crazy money!

As for putting tainted fuel BACK into the fuel tank after diluting with additional diesel? Not me. Not even on a bet! Dispose that junk.
Going through the Dakotas I filled up my diesel next to a guy who had a service truck and 2-3 mechanics pulling lines and purging gas from his system. Terrible mess. I thought to myself, glad that wasn't me.

Couple years later I bought a new GMC Dmax Dually and was pulling a 37' camper. After arguing with wife about if and where to get diesel we finally settled. I already had 1/2 tank and didn't want to screw with it.

I bitterly pulled up to a pump with 37' fiver in tow late at night and started pumping. After I was done pumping the wife says I got charged the wrong price. That was an oh chit moment. I just pumped 20 gallons of premium gas in my 34 gallon tank.

After begging for help to no avail I was able to cut a 1/2"water hose off for syphoning and got 32 gallons approx out of it, of diesel and gas mix. Lucky for me I never touvhed the key. I refilled with diesel and off we went. I stopped at a diesel mechanics and he said I was okay, just dump a quart of transmission oil in tank. It all was good after that and I keep that hose handy.

Now, every time I fill up I stay lazer like focused.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #29  
I thought diesel nozzles were different in diameter than gas nozzles, so they could not be inserted into the wrong filler tube. I guess they are larger...to protect the minority!

The minority being diesel vehicle owners, who must be considered smarter than the average driver.

/ Can a diesel engine run on gas. . #30  
I thought diesel nozzles were different in diameter than gas nozzles, so they could not be inserted into the wrong filler tube. I guess they are larger...to protect the minority!

The minority being diesel vehicle owners, who must be considered smarter than the average driver.
They are considerably bigger, which means that you can conceivably fill your tank with gas instead.