Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture?

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #81  
You must live in an urban or suburban setting. I don't and my rentals all sit on multi acre ground so I don't expect my renters to mow the yards with a push mower anyway. They'd be out there mowing as a full time job.
Rural, though the Duplex is just on the outside edge of town. But ya, none of the properties have more than 1 acre.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #82  
The flail mower roller smooths out the gopher mounds nicely

Around here my problem is the badgers that live off the gophers and ground squirrels. When a badger goes in to dig out a gopher he leaves a mound of dirt a minimum of a foot high - with a lot of rocks in the dirt that can be up to 6" diameter. How does the flail handle rocks?

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #83  
Nashville, TN traffic has gotten so bad that it could take 30 minutes to travel between rental properties even if they were on the same side of town, and it's no fun towing a trailer there.
I hear ya...

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #84  
Around here my problem is the badgers that live off the gophers and ground squirrels. When a badger goes in to dig out a gopher he leaves a mound of dirt a minimum of a foot high - with a lot of rocks in the dirt that can be up to 6" diameter. How does the flail handle rocks?
I don't think any bladed cutter handles the rocks without damage. Which is why we modified an old BH last year replacing cutting edge with chain. It is now a giant weedeater that shreds everything and kicks rocks out without a care

Attachments

• IMG_3364.JPG
    IMG_3364.JPG
    257.4 KB · Views: 25
   / Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #85  
That is very helpful. Any ideas how big of a flail mower I could push with a 44hp PTO?

I did look at the ones that shift to the side, but I have such a small need for that I don't think it would be worth the added complexity and expense?
44 PTO will run a 6’ flail and just hum along no problem. Slow down if necessary. I’m mowing a few an acres of old bahai pastures. Stems 😩

I will say my biggest disappointment in the flail is the stems popping up quickly in the tire tracks. I have mine offset to the right (solid mount, not a hydraulic side shifter) about a foot beyond the outside of the rear tire. This helps as only the right tires push down the grass before the mower eats it. It also is great for getting close to fences, trees, etc. I only have experience with the side slicer/Y-blades, not hammers.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #86  
Mowing the yards also gives you the opportunity to keep an eye on what the heck is going on at your rentals.
It stipulates in my rental agreements that I can inspect the dwellings anytime I want to during reasonable hours.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #87  
One thing I keep forgetting to mention concerning mowing with a Zero Turn mower in high grass and weeds is the vulnerability of the electric PTO clutch that is on most ZTR's. It 'hangs down' on the end end of the motor crankshaft and usually 'slots' into a torque reaction cutout in the mower frame and has a 2 wire electrical lead that plugs into the clutch itself.

Those electrical feed wires and just hanging under there and are really prone to getting snagged by weeds and such that don't get cut off and spring back up and snag the electrical feed wires for the clutch assembly and if you are not lucky they will pull out of the clutch assembly and that will mean buying a new clutch and they aren't a cheap date by a long shot. Had that happen on my sold M60 Tank and a replacement clutch assembly set me back over 300 bucks, 5 years ago. I hate to think what they cost today.

Just be aware of what is 'hanging down' on the back end of most any ZTR and what it might cost you if you rip the wires out of it by snagging them on a springback weed mowing high weeds or grass. Easy to replace. Not so easy on the pocketbook however.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #88  
For anyone trying to find aftermarket alternatives, here is a company specializing in PTO clutches etc.
I bought a PTO clutch from them many years ago for my Grasshopper.

Xtreme Outdoor Power Equipment Clutches

Not cheap but at least an alternative.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #89  
It stipulates in my rental agreements that I can inspect the dwellings anytime I want to during reasonable hours.
Most states require at least a 24hr notice regardless.

/ Can a Zero Turn mow high weeds in a bumpy pasture? #90  
Not here. Besides my attorney draws up my rental agreements. I don't.