Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value?

/ Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value? #1  

John_Mc

Elite Member
Tractor
NH TC33D Modified with belly pan, limb risers & FOPS. Honda Pioneer 520 & antique Coot UTV
A friend of mine is moving and selling his 2007 Can-Am Outlander Max 500. He's an older guy and has not worked it hard. He's also someone who takes good care of his machines. It had not run in a couple of years (mouse chewed wiring and fuel line). That is being repaired. The machine LOOKS great. You'd never know it was 15 years old from it's appearance.

I'm debating buying it. Does anyone have thoughts on what it might be worth? Neither of us is trying to pull one over on the other, we're just trying to come up with a fair price.

/ Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value? #2  
2500 -3500 is my guess

/ Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value?
Thanks Tomtint and ArlyA.

$2500-$3500 is what they guy working on it estimated (however, he is a potential buyer if I decide not to buy it myself, so I was concerned that he may be a bit biased in his pricing).

The site ArlyA linked only goes back to 2011 for Can-Am ATVs, but this 2007 is in very good condition for its age, so I'm thinking the values the site gives for a 2011 may be in the ballpark. It shows $2790 trade-in value to a dealer. $4070 typical listing price for sale. Listing prices are not sales prices, so maybe knock 10% of the listing price and you get about $3660.

I don't know how many miles it's got on it, but knowing that the owner was mostly puttering about doing yardwork and working in his woods, I'm guessing it's not a high number. It certainly looks good: a bit weathered, but not worn or beat on.

My current thinking is that its age (15 years) would tend to knock the price down below the midpoint of the price range, but the condition is probably better than average for its age (assuming it all checks out when the guy is done working on it). If that's the case, maybe the midpoint of that range makes sense - around $3000?

/ Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value? #5  
Ya well, that machine is indeed dated. You might want to check on belts and other various parts availability. :unsure:

/ Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value? #6  
I have a 2001 Bombardier Traxter 500. I bought it for $3300 in 2003 and I'd think it's worth the same even now. As for parts they are available at CanAm dealers still. And of course Ebay and the like. Some like mine do not have a belt drive system but were either electric auto shifting (computer controlled) or manual push button (computer controls shifting). It's a complicated system in use but is very reliable overall if you are careful about not slipping the clutch constantly doing work with it. Let the clutch engage and then give enough gas for the work it's doing. That way it won't over heat the clutch.

/ Can-AM Outlander Max 500 value? #7  
I paid a little over $2000 for a 2012 with the 400 engine a few years ago. Needed a CV joint on one of the rear axles, but other than that was in fairly decent shape. With today's ever-escalating prices could probably sell it today for the same or more if I wanted to.