Can I borrow your........

/ Can I borrow your........ #41  
A few years ago I leant out my Stihl MS 250. At some point it started running bad, it made decent power but idled badly. I finally figured out it had a badly scored piston and cylinder. I rebuilt it for about $100. I THINK they probably didn’t add any fuel to it. I’m the one that PROBABLY ran it with straight gas with no oil in it. But in the back of my head I wonder. That’s another problem of lending stuff out, if it breaks later who did it?

/ Can I borrow your........ #42  
My cousin I will consider cause he has fixed more stuff of mine then me lol but that’s it, an not all things, my tractor comes with me in the seat. I will help a neighbor but not lend most tools ⚒️

/ Can I borrow your........ #43  
I have a different problem...

Friends and family getting rid of things broken or not used anymore...

I pick it up and go through it... service motor, new tires or tubes or electric cord, carb, etc...

They later see me using it and want to borrow it back and never see it again...

The last time it was a Yazoo rotary mower getting loaded for scrap...

Went through it and running like a champ... something seasonally I can really use... now when I want it back they need it...

Loaned my TroyBuilt horse to brothers in laws... "Came Loose" and flipped in truck cracking carburetor and first heard when it did not start...

/ Can I borrow your........ #44  
Had a contractor friend do some grading around my house with a skid steer. I had a load of dirt or two to move yet but he was done with me. He said the skidsteer was old and used a lot of oil but I could use it if I want. I took advantage of that goodwill gesture and used it for a day or do but had to add quart of oil every hour or so. Not a problem. I started using any engine oil I had laying around after awhile. Eventually I found a half quart of oil and tipped it to dump it in. I heard something rattle inside the container and upon investigation I found a 16 penny nail and it almost went down the tube into the crankcase. I would have hated to replace a skidsteer so I never borrowed any tools like that again.

/ Can I borrow your........ #45  
Learned my lesson a couple months ago. Loaned my chainsaw to a friend and he burned up the piston on it. Thankfully he was nice enough to pay my chainsaw guy to fix it. I doubt I will be lending out much any more. Not worth the hassle.

/ Can I borrow your........ #47  
I have a nice 7k, dual axle car hauler trailer that I bought for hauling my tractor. My Cottage neighbor two doors down asked to borrow it to haul a bunch of heavy pieces for a lift that he was making inside his garage. He is really a nice guy, and he keeps all of his stuff totally clean and neat, to the point of even wiping his boat down every time he uses it.

So I lent it to him. It came back in perfect condition, and he even repacked the trailer wheels for me with new grease! And this was on a virtually new trailer.

Anyway, him I can trust to borrow stuff like that. But still, no one uses my tractor except me. I have dug a total of three ditches for people, for their underground powerlines, and they were there with me while I was doing it. But they did not drive it.

Once, another neighbor asked to borrow my tractor to dig a new hole for his outhouse that he was moving. I said “nope, but I will dig it for you“. He never followed up.

I will let and have let other people drive one of my ATVs, but even then only when I am on the other ATV right there with them.

I have let one of my daughter’s girlfriends drive one of the two JetSki’s that we have, but my daughter is always right there with her. That of course makes me a little more nervous, but this girlfriend is very capable and very responsible.

I let my BIL drive one of the JetSki’s one time, because I could see him from the dock, and told him not to go out of sight. Bad idea. He came across a guy whose JetSki was sinking, and decided to throw him a rope to pull him. Well of course the rope got caught in my JetSki impeller mechanism, and practically pulled the guys finger off. It was quite a frightening time waiting for the report, because they took him to the hospital with his hand bleeding all over the place. It was quite an adventure after we got the JetSki out onto the trailer, deciding who was going to crawl underneath to look at and untangle where the rope was caught. We all expected to find a finger! So of course I got elected. Fortunately the rope did not pull his finger off, but rather tore a tendon and caused bleeding. But of course we didn’t know that while I was unwrapping the rope, which was now pink, but which had no body parts tangled up in it. Very relieved to find out later that that guy’s finger was going to be OK, but it was very tense there for a while.

Needless to say, my brother-in-law has not been allowed to touch the JetSki since then. I will let him borrow a screwdriver, however!

Last edited:
   / Can I borrow your........ #48  
Friend let in law borrow 9980# equipment trailer to pick up a "Little" tractor...

The little tractor weighed 13k with implements.

In-law said they always overbuild so what's the problem?

/ Can I borrow your........ #49  
I have a nice 7k, dual axle car hauler trailer that I bought for hauling my tractor. My Cottage neighbor two doors down asked to borrow it to haul a bunch of heavy pieces for a lift that he was making inside his garage. He is really a nice guy, and he keeps all of his stuff totally clean and neat, to the point of even wiping his boat down every time he uses it.

So I lent it to him. It came back in perfect condition, and he even repacked the trailer wheels for me with new grease! And this was on a virtually new trailer.

Anyway, him I can trust to borrow stuff like that. But still, no one uses my tractor except me. I have doug A total of three ditches for people, for their underground powerlines, and they were there with me while I was doing it.

Once, another neighbor asked to borrow my tractor to dig a new hole for his old house that he was moving. I said “nope, but I will dig it for you“. He never followed up.

I will let and have let other people drive one of my ATVs, but even then only when I am on the other ATV right there with them.

I have let one of my daughter’s girlfriends drive one of the two JetSki’s that we have, but my daughter is always right there with her. That of course makes me a little more nervous, but this girlfriend is very capable and very responsible.

I let my BIL drive one of the JetSki’s one time, because I could see him from the dock, and told him not to go out of sight. Bad idea. He came across a guy whose JetSki was sinking, and decided to throw him a rope to pull him. Well of course the rope got caught in my JetSki impeller mechanism, and practically pulled the guys finger off. It was quite a frightening time waiting for the report, because they took him to the hospital with his hand bleeding all over the place. It was quite an adventure after we got the JetSki out onto the trailer, deciding who was going to crawl underneath to look at and untangle where the rope was caught. We all expected to find a finger! So of course I got elected. Fortunately the rope did not pull his finger off, but rather tore a tendon and caused bleeding. But of course we didn’t know that while I was unwrapping the rope, which was now pink. Very relieved to find out later that that guy’s finger was going to be OK, but it was very tense there for a while.

Needless to say, my brother-in-law has not been allowed to touch the JetSki since then. I will let him borrow a screwdriver, however!
If you would have told me this I would have declined to use it. I don't need to be treated like a teenager. Now if you want to teach me how to use something that's a different story.

/ Can I borrow your........ #50  
If you would have told me this I would have declined to use it. I don't need to be treated like a teenager. Now if you want to teach me how to use something that's a different story.
Another reason to never let someone borrow something, or even use it. Arrogance. The owner paid probably $10-20k for that machine. You have absolutely no right or privilege to use it. You should be humble and do what they ask. Most likely it was a “first time” precaution. Do well and next time it wont be as strict. Just follow their rules if you are using their stuff. It really irks me when people ask to use something but want to use it their way, not they way you ask.

Just go and buy one if you dont like it. As you can probably gather I never, ever let anyone use anything of mine and never ask to borrow anything. However I have helped neighbors many times using my own equipment.

We all have our own ways of living and that is just fine. But to borrow something of someone else’s and add your own terms to it is not right.