Can I test/measure the load at my generator?

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #31  
I don't think you "add them up". The total amperage draw is shown when measuring either of the two legs.
Also, why would concrete be any worse than standing on turf, for example?
You may be right. I was just thinking each breaker could carry 30 amps each. Concrete, water, grass etc are all problematic. You are right. I was thinking at the panel.

Edit, in retrospect, I think you are correct and they are not added. Thanks

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #32  
Is there a way when the generator is running with a load to measure the load ? at the generator itself?
I use this meter from MJPA.com. Fast and easy, Volts, Amps, Watts.

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #33  
Something for all to consider for after market induction coil metering devices (not clamp on), are you willing to tear generator apart to install the induction coils..., And if you Genny is like mine, the are 9 wires coming out of generator unit to control/distribution panel, what individual wire or all wires do you install it on.... Still back to just inventorying devices you wan to power, add up wattage and see if it is within realm of what generator is capable of...

Last edited:
   / Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #34  
Something for all to consider for after market induction coil metering devices (not clamp on), are you willing to tear generator apart to install the induction coils..., And if you Genny is like mine, the are 9 wires coming out of generator unit to control/distribution panel, what individual wire or all wires do you install it on.... Still back to just inventorying devices you wan to power, add up wattage and see if it is within realm of what generator is capable of...
There are 9 windings on alternator, but you dont want to clamp onto any of those. You want to clamp on either of the 2 wires that bring power from generator to the transfer switch.

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #35  
But my generator is portable (6500 watts) and I would have to open up "umbilical" with NEMA 14-30 plugs (or make adapter cord) to get reading, then there is the 120 VAC circuits.... So induction devices are no always the answer..... This is why I go back to calculating the wattage demand of devices I want to power when commercial is off and the total demand of devices should not exceed capabilities of generator... It part of a case where there is many solutions for many different situations ...

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #36  
Cut the BLUE WIRE!!!! No wait - RED!!!!

:ROFLMAO:

/ Can I test/measure the load at my generator? #37  
Meters and information are nice even if not necessary.