Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #51  
I don't think it's so much that someone asks for someone's location, it's how they TELL the poster to list their location rather than ASKING the poster where they're located that ticks some of us off. It's rudely done.

Tell VS Ask

Ask politely if they'd give their location and explain why it might help. Don't TELL people what to do. Common manners and courtesy would work a lot better.

:thumbsup:

I see the " poster in question" do this all the time, even if it's not relevant to the OP's question and I have to roll my eyes. Sometimes, but not always, it does come off as unnecessary, and/or aggressive/rude.

(Made up) example:
OP (with a Join Date of 4/30/19, and number of post: "1" ): "How much oil does my tractor take?"
First reply will be from
"Poster in question": "Enter your location so we can answer your question"

It comes off as:
-Well that's a fine how do you do! Welcome to TBN! Now give us personal information! Then we might get you an answer...

I've also noticed the OP of this thread does not like the "poster in question". :2cents:

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #52  
This is turning into a unnecessarily weighty matter. Is the weight of the location that important? How many people weigh the value of a post on the location? Does the location bear more weight on the thread?
I can tell this weighs heavy on the heart of the OP.

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #53  
I guess digging it opened a thread complaining about something and then disappeared, no surprise..

OP, maybe having a more positive outlook would do you some good, I have never read so many pessimistic posts from any single person EVER..

SO TRUE !!!

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #54  
This is turning into a unnecessarily weighty matter. Is the weight of the location that important? How many people weigh the value of a post on the location? Does the location bear more weight on the thread?
I can tell this weighs heavy on the heart of the OP.

It is obvious that the OP enjoys "Stirring the Pot" and arguing about everything. He does have good posts on occasion but his constant negativity is irritating. I am beginning to skip over many of his posts now.

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #55  
I don't think it's so much that someone asks for someone's location, it's how they TELL the poster to list their location rather than ASKING the poster where they're located that ticks some of us off. It's rudely done.

Tell VS Ask

Ask politely if they'd give their location and explain why it might help. Don't TELL people what to do. Common manners and courtesy would work a lot better.

I've politely asked DI his location several times. Always when he makes comments in a thread that have geographical importance. He recently posted his opinion about pouring a slab of concrete in Texas. Makes his advice worthless. As someone earlier mentioned, those that don't want to disclose location should refrain from making geographically important comments.

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #57  
Man, must be a really SLOW week for some. And today is only Tuesday. :confused3:

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #58  
Kind of funny....the only time I tend to really be interested in someone's location is when they post some sort of picture, and the background looks really scenic. First thing I do is check to see if they have a location posted, just to see where the nice pic came from. Always a bit disappointed when it's not there.

Wife & I are avid hikers, and I've posted numerous pix from our treks in SE Ohio, just for this very reason. I think it's human nature, when you see something nice, to wonder where it is. No devious intent here. As a good-will gesture, here's an interesting rock formation in the Hocking State Forest, in Hocking County Ohio. Yes, close to where we live....:) (For scale, you could park a Honda Civic right on top of the rock.)
That's cool, been there, never seen that.

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati #59  
I enjoy just seeing where the various posters live, I have lived in several areas and I enjoy seeing posts from those areas.
As can be seen from my profile I'm not overly concerned with keeping my location a secret.
That said it does seem like many, well may be not many but some fear letting people know were they are from, that is there business.
We hear so much these days about the "need" to protect our information, heck it's already out there you can't hide it if someone really whats to get your general location.
As has been mention IP addresses can be located easily to within a few miles.
On top of that, just think back to the days of landline phones (and I still have a landline number) and the information on that one line in the phone book,
it had your name, phone number and address right there in the open, just run your finger down the page and you had it all.

/ Can we put an official STOP to the constant nagging about location, location, locati
Location is optional. Asking for somebody's location in the context of answering a thread is allowed. We don't censor posts based on quality of the reply, only if the content is offensive or breaks one of the few rules we have.

Asking is one thing. Demanding it in nearly every thread where a new poster has just joined is another. Sometimes even when it is already stated in the post somewhere and I've sometimes seen it with no other comment, only 'Add your location ....'.

Status
Not open for further replies.