can you tow an HST 5030?

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
The first ever problem in 630 hrs has hit.

Tractor will not start.. am sure it's electrical safety switch in nature.

It is sitting in the middle of my single lane road ... can I tow it (SLOWLY) backwards about 50 yards to get it out of the way until I can figure it out? I can do this with my F530 diesel dually.

I have looked in the Kubota manuals, shop manual, etc. and guess I'm blind.. can't find anywhere that towing is mentioned.

Intellipanel shows HST NEUTRAL repeatedly when I turn key to start. I get power to the intellipanel, starter does not attempt to start... I am sure it is inhibited by HST NEUTRAL safety switch. Service manual says that HST pedal needs to be returned to the neutral position (which is where it is). I've checked the HST neutral position switch with a ohmetger... it is working properly... and, I've adjusted it to make sure it's seeking to sense neutral...

Seat safety switch works properly. (ohmeter test)

clutch safety switch is working properly... intellipanel results.

PTP safety switch is working properly...intellipanel results.

net..I still have more debug do do and would like to move tractor out of the way but don't wish to damage the transmission by towning... slow and a very short distance.

what think y'all??

To tow or not to tow... that is the question!!!

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #2  
Why can't you just put the range selector between High, Medium, or Low so that nothing is in gear? If you have ever accidentally bumped it into the neutral zones between ranges while on a hill you will know the tractor will run away with you until you hit the brakes. As long as nothing is turning on the transmission no harm can possibly be done for a short tow, I would think. Howsome-ever, I am not a mechanic and I would defer to those wiser than me.

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #3  
Why can"t you get an assistant to simply push in the clutch and you will know for sure everything is disengaged;)

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #4  
Call the Kubota dealer, and ask to talk to a tech., or better still call kubota. There should be a kubota rep phone number, or look in these kubota posts for one. I understand your concern about possible damage to the HST. I'm sure it's one of the safety switches. Check the seat switch also.

/ can you tow an HST 5030?
I certainly would place the selector into N.

The intellipanel accurately reports the positioning of the range lever so that's working fine.

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #6  
The first ever problem in 630 hrs has hit.

Tractor will not start.. am sure it's electrical safety switch in nature.

It is sitting in the middle of my single lane road ... can I tow it (SLOWLY) backwards about 50 yards to get it out of the way until I can figure it out? I can do this with my F530 diesel dually.

I have looked in the Kubota manuals, shop manual, etc. and guess I'm blind.. can't find anywhere that towing is mentioned.

Intellipanel shows HST NEUTRAL repeatedly when I turn key to start. I get power to the intellipanel, starter does not attempt to start... I am sure it is inhibited by HST NEUTRAL safety switch. Service manual says that HST pedal needs to be returned to the neutral position (which is where it is). I've checked the HST neutral position switch with a ohmetger... it is working properly... and, I've adjusted it to make sure it's seeking to sense neutral...

Seat safety switch works properly. (ohmeter test)

clutch safety switch is working properly... intellipanel results.

PTP safety switch is working properly...intellipanel results.

net..I still have more debug do do and would like to move tractor out of the way but don't wish to damage the transmission by towning... slow and a very short distance.

what think y'all??

To tow or not to tow... that is the question!!!

Place range selector in nuetral and keep the clutch depressed while moving. Both will separate the trans from the wheels.

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #7  
....... I get power to the intellipanel, starter does not attempt to start... I am sure it is inhibited by HST NEUTRAL safety switch. Service manual says that HST pedal needs to be returned to the neutral position (which is where it is). I've checked the HST neutral position switch with a ohmetger... it is working properly... and, I've adjusted it to make sure it's seeking to sense neutral...
Rock the HST pedal with your foot or by hand to assist it in finding the neutral position. No guarantee but this has worked on the smaller B7800 for me.

As others have said, neutral and clutch and the F530 or F350....

If the dang thing is in the road, I'd tow it 50 yards. Just saying.....

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #8  
I have had my L3130 do the same thing and in each case I rocked the HST treadle by hand and could find the true neutral position so it would start.

I think putting the range selector in N would be all you need to do to tow it to where you to. As near as I can tell the transmission final gears are mostly splash oiled.

Vernon

/ can you tow an HST 5030?
well... I have the answer.

I successfully towed the vehicle, slowly, with my pickup, making sure that driver in seat depressed clutch and that shift lever was in neutral. No strange noises, no lockup, no problems after. Thanks for those ideas.

I got it running... have shop manual and buddy who assisted...

Bottom line... bad 5 amp fuse.

I had checked all the fuses with an ohmmeter... putting the probes on the little bits of metal that stick out... meaning I didn't remove the fuse for testing.

Dummy missed the bad fuse.
Buddy had me remove fuses one by one... and..:eek: it was obviously bad.
We couldn't figure out WHY it went bad... right in the middle of the road.

For future TBN members who have the message: HST...NEUTRAL

There are at least TWO things that can cause this...
HST rocker not centered...or the center sensing HST switch is bad
OR..bad fuse

additional symptom was that when attempting to start the MID PTO ENGAGED light was on... but I DON'T HAVE A MID PTO.

/ can you tow an HST 5030? #10  
Place range selector in nuetral and keep the clutch depressed while moving. Both will separate the trans from the wheels.

Wrong!

The clutch will separate the engine from the transmission, but the wheels will still be driving the HST pumps (dry).

Range selector in N separates the differential from the transmission and saves the HST from running dry.