Canning Stuff.

/ Canning Stuff. #1  

Larry Caldwell

Tractor
Kubota l3130
What a day. We canned a bunch of tomato base, including garden vegetables. Hey, it was free produce, thanks to some gardener friends. The last canner was boiling merrily away and I decided to take the dogs for their evening walk. They vanished up the hill, and my standard poodle came back covered with skunk stink. Then my springer came back with the skunk. She was so proud! She had to kill it herself, but she retrieved it for me! She did not understand when I got a pitchfork and relocated the body to an open field where carrion birds will find it.

Now we have to deal with eau de skunk for a couple weeks. After a full day of processing food, we were very tired, but Susan bathed both of them.

The tomato sauce will make great minestrone, spaghetti sauce, and other tomato dishes.

Attachments

• IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 72
   / Canning Stuff. #3  
I remember well the day my husky killed one on the back porch.
He never had a drop on him but the house was another story. 🤮

Love the canned goods. Unfortunately my maters didnt do well this year. Plus all of my Roma plants I had bought turned out to be yellow pear.

/ Canning Stuff. #4  
Still using pasta sauce from two years ago. Everybody I give a jar to says it is the best. All I did was use Mrs. Wages pasta mix and my tomatoes. Same way with salsa. Have had people at parties want to know who made the salsa and I would have to tell them that I used Mrs. Wages mix.

Wife will water bath jars but when the pressure canner is on the stove she will not come into the kitchen. That has to be my job.

Didn't get to put up anything this year due to dealing with mother's estate. Darn I miss it.

RSKY

/ Canning Stuff. #5  
Blanch, freeze and cold pack here. Just put up 30 quart bags of Blue Lake green beans, cleaned, snipped ends, blanched (5 minutes in boiling water), bagged in freezer bags and off to the freezer. Kind of limited myself this year to what we put up as we still have a lot of Spag sauce, canned beets and Kraut left from last year but we did blanch, strip and bag, 20 bags of Ambrosia SSU corn earlier this last month and the porkers get the cobs.

Gonna have to purchase another deep freeze come November as I have a full half side coming.

We never get to concerned with the supposed food shortages, we always eat well here on the farm.

/ Canning Stuff. #6  
Blanch, freeze and cold pack here. Just put up 30 quart bags of Blue Lake green beans, cleaned, snipped ends, blanched (5 minutes in boiling water), bagged in freezer bags and off to the freezer. Kind of limited myself this year to what we put up as we still have a lot of Spag sauce, canned beets and Kraut left from last year but we did blanch, strip and bag, 20 bags of Ambrosia SSU corn earlier this last month and the porkers get the cobs.

Gonna have to purchase another deep freeze come November as I have a full half side coming.

We never get to concerned with the supposed food shortages, we always eat well here on the farm.
What happens when the grid gets overloaded and your freezers dont work?? 😂 LOL…….

/ Canning Stuff. #7  
Just finished processing the apple harvest. A extraordinary year. Ended up with 36 quarts of apple pie filling and 31 quarts of applesauce. Tomatoes are continuing to come in. We just peel and purée them and freeze the purée in bags. Later when we have time, we will thaw them and make marinara sauce for canning. This week we will start on pear butter.

/ Canning Stuff. #9  
wife dumped the pressure cooker several years ago. replaced it with a electric water bath canner. she is very happy with it.
it gets quite a workout this time of year

/ Canning Stuff. #10  
Haven't canned anything this year but have pickled some green beans. Pickled 96 quarts of dill pickles last year and still have over half of them left. They are still tasty and crunchy. The spicy pickled beans are a hit with everyone that tries them, including me.

We canned about 150 quart jars of green beans years ago and didn't like the way they turned out. Too soft and mushy. Only OK for soups or stews. Might give blanching and freezing a try just to see if that is any better.