Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor?

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I've connected the grapple many times w/o a problem. Today I struggled attaching the grapple to the SSQA loader arms, one side would hook but not the other then vice versa. So I got off to see why and saw that one of the unconnected grapple hoses had moved and was in the way preventing the loader ends to fit flush against the grapple. So essentially the flat part of the loader end would have been mashing a section of a hose against a flat part of the grapple mount as I mover the tractor forward. I didn't think anything of it as the hose doesn't appear to be affected at all. Naturally once I lifted the hose out of the way the grapple connected to the arms. But here's my problem, now I cannot connect the grapple hydraulic fittings to the tractor's, they simply will not connect. At first I assumed there was some pressure (which happens sometimes) so I checked and moved the loader valve around, made sure the 3-point was all the way down, opened the pressure release screw at the back. The couplers still would not connect. I repeated this a dozen times then finally started the tractor moved it shut it off, and went through the procedure to connect them another dozen times but I cannot press the fittings home. That's when I started thinking maybe it's not pressure in the tractor but in the grapple somehow? So I took the grapple off and hooked up to another front attachment and those fittings connected to the tractor with no problem. Any suggestions?

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #2  
crack the hose at the qc on the attachment side. either one is fine. if that doesn't fix it, remove both qc from the attachment and make sure they work disconnected.

best,

ed

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #3  
Crack open a fitting on the grapple to relieve some pressure?

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #4  
jinx

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor?
Thank you guys! (I should have thought of that.)

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #6  
all good, let us know?

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #7  
Good to hear it's working and nothing broken. It's always the little things.

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #8  
I have this happen every once in awhile. I wonder if a guy took some of that canned air and sprayed it upside down on the cylinder if it would cool the micro air in the hydraulic fluid enough to contract and relieve the pressure? Dumb idea?

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #9  
I have this happen every once in awhile. I wonder if a guy took some of that canned air and sprayed it upside down on the cylinder if it would cool the micro air in the hydraulic fluid enough to contract and relieve the pressure? Dumb idea?
I think it would work. Figure it takes a couple of cans to move the needle $20 bucks.

Pack it in ice for $8 dollars should certainly work in an hour or so.

Crack the line, free and immediate.............:)

/ Can't connect Pioneer fitting from my EA grapple to the tractor? #10  
There are also some tools out there which allow the couplers to either be relieved of the pressure that keeps the plunger closed or overcomes the pressure by leverage to close the couplers.

I bought the XBoom tool: XBoom Excavator Coupler System (Excavator Skid Steer Loader Adapter Coupler System) Pretty expensive for what it is, but it works if you have access to the back of each coupler. I like this one because it does not bleed the oil off which means there is no mess or loss of (expensive) hydraulic fluid. It is also fast.

Prior to the purchase of the tool I would relieve the pressure by pushing the pin in the female coupler in with a hammer strike on a 5/8" drift. The oil came out in a hurry and no matter how careful I was to wrap the coupling in a rag some always managed to land on my clothing or some other place I didn't want it to.