Can't see when welding

/ Can't see when welding #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
I've been stick welding fixing things and hobby stuff for 40 years. Never did it frequently enough to be able to be real proud of my welds, but I never had one break.

Until a year or so ago, I always used fixed shade helmets or face shields.

Last year I broke down and got a wire welder. Haven't gotten the gas tank yet but have been using it with flux core wire. At the same time, I got a Hobart variable shade auto helmet.

The helmet works just the way it's supposed to and it works great for stick welding, but I can't see crap when using the wire welder. The small arc darkens the lens as it should but I don't get enough light from the arc to see around the arc itself. I have no idea where the arc is on the items to be welded. I can't even see which way to move the arc. Can't see any puddle.

The helmet adjusts from shade 9-13. I've been looking at new helmets and see many of the higher priced ones have an 8-13 range. Would the one step from 9 down to 8 help much? Is there a real difference in one shade step or is it more a perception thing?

I've also been looking at getting a cheater lens for the inside of a new helmet. I think that this will help some as I do have trouble seeing close up with glasses on.

Any ideas or suggestions. TIA

/ Can't see when welding #2  
Not sure what I have my helmet shade set at but I wear my reading glasses under my helmet when welding so I can see.

/ Can't see when welding #3  
I've been welding for around 38 years too but about 20 of those years was professional. My eyesight isn't what it used ot be (big surprise at 60 years old, huh... LOL). Anyway I have been using the drugstore cheater reading glasses inside my helmet for a few years now. Helps quite a lot and cheap enough incase they get broken. I buy them in packs of 3.

/ Can't see when welding
my problem is mainly lack of light around the arc.

/ Can't see when welding #5  
I have the same problem. If I can I bring it out in the sun to weld or point a halogen light on it. Helps somewhat.

/ Can't see when welding #6  
my problem is mainly lack of light around the arc.

TSC and other places that carry welding supplies (Home Depot even) should have a variety of different shade (darkness) lenses...Also they should have "cheater" lenses...replaces the clear lens in a helmet with magnifying lens...different powers are available...

/ Can't see when welding
this is an auto darkening lens so I can only make it darker, that's why I asked if shade 8 makes much difference over a shade 9.

/ Can't see when welding #8  
No professional but I have trouble seeing sometimes with mig but do not have the same problem with stick welding. I was surprised that ambient light is needed for mig. The more the better. And I have to get fairly close to see, but that is probably due to glasses. I'm 65.

/ Can't see when welding #9  
I've been stick welding fixing things and hobby stuff for 40 years. Never did it frequently enough to be able to be real proud of my welds, but I never had one break.

Until a year or so ago, I always used fixed shade helmets or face shields.

Last year I broke down and got a wire welder. Haven't gotten the gas tank yet but have been using it with flux core wire. At the same time, I got a Hobart variable shade auto helmet.

The helmet works just the way it's supposed to and it works great for stick welding, but I can't see crap when using the wire welder. The small arc darkens the lens as it should but I don't get enough light from the arc to see around the arc itself. I have no idea where the arc is on the items to be welded. I can't even see which way to move the arc. Can't see any puddle.

The helmet adjusts from shade 9-13. I've been looking at new helmets and see many of the higher priced ones have an 8-13 range. Would the one step from 9 down to 8 help much? Is there a real difference in one shade step or is it more a perception thing?

I've also been looking at getting a cheater lens for the inside of a new helmet. I think that this will help some as I do have trouble seeing close up with glasses on.

Any ideas or suggestions. TIA

Experienced the same problem. I wear transitional lenses in my every day glasses. When I tried to weld with them I had a hard time seeing. Had an older pair of work safety glasses with clear glass and it was a lot brighter. Never checked the darkness of the transitional glasses after welding but the safety glasses seemed better. Try it and let me know if was my imagination or not.

/ Can't see when welding #10  
I hang a 400 watt light two feet over my work so I can see.
As bikerdib I use reading glasses under the hood. Still could use more light.