Can't see when welding

/ Can't see when welding
The antra does have dual modes for 5 which is grinding all the way up to 13 so it has worked very well.

The specs say 5-9/10-13. What does that mean, two different select-able ranges.?

My current helmet goes down to 9...it's at 9.

There is no plastic stuck on the lens.

I did try shining a bright light on my work today, and it did help but I could still not see a glowing puddle. However I was able to just about l\make out where I was supposed to have the wire. :) Still not good though.

Someone mentioned 110v vs 220v. My welder is a Hobart 110v.

I'm going to get a new helmet that adjusts down to 8 and I'll get a cheater lens as well.

I appears I'm not alone with this problem by the responses I've gotten. Thanks all.

/ Can't see when welding #32  
My eyes don't see so well at night but I have never had problems with seeing a welding arc except when my HF auto dark setting got turned to 12 accidently. It didn't take me long to figure out something was wrong and checked the setting. Turned it back to 9 and it was OK then. IF you cant see the weld puddle, then you need to reposition yourself so you can. Even a 110V MIG should produce enough light to see the puddle if you are correctly positioned and the wire contact tube has the correct stick out.

Folks please don't use any thing less than a 9 shade when TIG welding, If you do a lot of it, it will be damaging to your eyes. TIG welding produces a lot more UV light (even though the arc seems smaller) than stick or FCAW because the smoke from these shields a lot of the UV from your eyes.
I don't think anyone here is saying they use 9 or less on tig welding. That would be dangerous and you'd probably feel the effects quickly. But I thought the hard lens in every helmet blocked uv rays dark or not.

/ Can't see when welding #33  
The specs say 5-9/10-13. What does that mean, two different select-able ranges.?

My current helmet goes down to 9...it's at 9.

Yes, one knob and one switch that selects low range and high range with the same knob.

/ Can't see when welding #34  
Setting a portable light right next to and shining on the joint helps me. It does cause the helmet to "auto dark" though, so have to hold the other hand in front of the light until getting the arc started.

/ Can't see when welding #35  
I use a $60 auto darkening helmet from Northern Tool for both stick and wire feed.

Before my cataract surgery, I wore my prescription glasses with clip on yellow tinted polarized aviator sunglasses under my helmet. No problem seeing the puddle.

With the implanted lenses I wear wrap around yellow tinted polarized aviator sunglasses rated UV400. You have to minimize the reflected UV radiation from getting into your helmet and then into your eyes via reflection off walls, etc. With those plastic implanted lenses, I never go outside without those sunglasses to protect those implanted lenses from UV degradation.

/ Can't see when welding #36  
I use a $60 auto darkening helmet from Northern Tool for both stick and wire feed.

Before my cataract surgery, I wore my prescription glasses with clip on yellow tinted polarized aviator sunglasses under my helmet. No problem seeing the puddle.

With the implanted lenses I wear wrap around yellow tinted polarized aviator sunglasses rated UV400. You have to minimize the reflected UV radiation from getting into your helmet and then into your eyes via reflection off walls, etc. With those plastic implanted lenses, I never go outside without those sunglasses to protect those implanted lenses from UV degradation.
That's good to know. I was wondering how UV would effect plastic lens implants.

/ Can't see when welding #37  
Another idea that helps my 64 yr old eyes is to mark the joint with a soapstone or a "silverstreak" pencil.

/ Can't see when welding #38  
Maybe the helmet needs a good cleaning...

/ Can't see when welding
Maybe the helmet needs a good cleaning...

The new helmet I ordered will solve that problem. I ordered this one based on a recommendation from a poster above and over 600 good reviews.

Antra AH6-660-101S Solar Power Auto Darkening Welding Helmet with AntFi X60-6 Wide Shade Range 4/5-9/9-13 with Grinding Feature Extra lens covers Good for Arc Tig Mig Plasma CSA/ANSI Certified By Colts Lab - - Amazon.com

Also ordered a cheater lens. I'm expecting great things !!!!

/ Can't see when welding #40  
Pilgrim, will you please let us know how the new helmet works out for you? As you can see, a lot of people are interested in your thread.