Car Accident Question

/ Car Accident Question #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hi All,

I have a question regarding responsibility for providing a rental car by at fault drivers insurance.

My wife was t-boned at a 4 way stop yesterday. The other driver was at fault/ticketed failure to yield and our car is at the repair shop waiting for an estimate. It may be a total loss, we don't know yet. In the meantime my wife needs a car to drive. Is it the responsibility of the at fault drivers insurance to provide a rental car to us while waiting for our car to be repaired or replaced?

We have collision insurance on that car but no rental provision. Our insurance is handling the claim, I haven't asked about a rental from other driver's insurance yet.

Thanks for any input,
Kevin

/ Car Accident Question #2  
Is it the responsibility of the at fault drivers insurance to provide a rental car to us while waiting for our car to be repaired or replaced?

We have collision insurance on that car but no rental provision. Our insurance is handling the claim, I haven't asked about a rental from other driver's insurance yet.
That's what you need to do. No one here can provide an accurate reply for YOUR situation because of variable.

You don't say what vehicle, but mid-section/B-Pillar damage will almost certainly be a total loss.

Also, rental is one of the lowest cost options that can yield the highest benefit even in very small losses. Rental on my policy is something like $8/yr.

/ Car Accident Question #3  
Hi All,

I have a question regarding responsibility for providing a rental car by at fault drivers insurance.

My wife was t-boned at a 4 way stop yesterday. The other driver was at fault/ticketed failure to yield and our car is at the repair shop waiting for an estimate. It may be a total loss, we don't know yet. In the meantime my wife needs a car to drive. Is it the responsibility of the at fault drivers insurance to provide a rental car to us while waiting for our car to be repaired or replaced?

Thanks for any input,
Kevin
Hope your wife is OK.

Even though your insurance doesn't provide for rental, ask your insurance agent about it. They should be able to tell you how to request it from the other driver's insurance company.

/ Car Accident Question #4  
Every state is different, every policy is different.
Ask you insurance agent/company about the rental, they will know or at least should know.
Hope everyone is fine, sorry to hear this happened.

/ Car Accident Question #5  
When my son was in a wreck he did have rental insurance, but it only covers so many days. He had the rental for 4 or 5 times the time he was covered for and did not pay a dime. I can only assume that his insurance company got the rest from the other driver's insurance.

But like others have said, the only people that can answer this question is your insurance company.

/ Car Accident Question #6  
Close to home, last spring my wife was hit by an Amazon contract driver who ran a stop sign. He was cited as being at fault. The situation became more interesting as he provided the police false information as to his insurance and truck ownership. It took two weeks and a letter to Amazon CEO to get the correct info to my insurance company. In the end I got reimbursed by his real insurance for diminished value on my damaged vehicle and cost of a rental . Unfortunately it took many hours on the phone and insistence that I would sue the trucks owner and Amazon if I was not compensated for my tangible loss.
for diminished value I got a letter from the local ford dealer ( mine was a ford truck) on the market value of my vehicle I minute before it was hit and the value after the accident and once repaired. this gave me real world data. Good luck not fu, hope your wife is ok

/ Car Accident Question #7  
A lot depends on the insurance laws in your state as with no fault, etc. It certainly wouldn't hurt to call the other insurance company and ask though.

My brother had the exact same thing happen. In that case HIS insurance company paid for a rental. He paid an additional premium for the service though but it was only a few $$/yr. He was very glad he had the coverage since it took almost 4 months to get his car repaired due to parts shortages.

The body shop I use has a deal with a local car rental agency that offers a substantial discount. If all else fails, it might be something to look into.

/ Car Accident Question
Wife is physically fine but this was her first accident. She's only been driving about 6 years I think and doesn't venture out of town except 2 lane highways. The accident really shook her up. It was an 88 year old lady with "cataract" glasses that hit her. You know the dark wrap around kind.

/ Car Accident Question
Talked to both insurance companies. Both agree we are owed a rental if other driver was at fault. Waiting for determination now, will probably rent a car and hope for reimbursement later.

/ Car Accident Question #10  
I’m glad to hear that she is OK. Granted it’s a PITA right now, but at the end of the day a car is just plastic and sheet metal.