Car lifts

/ Car lifts #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Been looking at car lifts and wanted everyones thoughts and ideas.

I want something for doing oil changes, tire rotations, work on the Kawasaki Mule, motorcycle and the small tractor and general smaller eqpt.
The cars are easy - a Yaris and a Rav4, figure my Diesel truck is a bit too big and I really not need to lift it for an oil change anyway. We are lucky that we have newer cars so I don't really do anything major and if it needs done we have a local guy that is very reasonable and would take the vehicle down there.

We have a 5" 5000psi pad in the shop but I'm not sold on a two post lift. Mainly because it takes up too much space and I won't be able to move it out of the way if I am working on a larger project. I have looked at the
MaxJax Portable Car Lift - Home Garage Lift - Dannmar - MaxJax USA
and like it but am not sure that is the way to go or not.

I also looked at the
Auto Lift MR6K-48X 6000lb Capacity Mid Rise Scissor Lift

Figure I can use a scissor lift and make a "table" for the bike and lawn mowers and such.
As I mentioned I don't plan on doing exhausts or trannys so the scissor seems like it would work fine and it seems a bit safer.
What do you all think?

/ Car lifts #2  
What I personally would do is get a 4 post lift, mount it permanently. Not only does it distribute the weight better (4posts vs 2).

The benefit is access to the middle section of the car for oil changes and such. And the most important benefit is that you can park things under it. I.e. lift up the mule and keep the bike, mower and such under it. Good for winter if you store something away. It depends on how high your ceiling is. If anything you can lift the mower and shorter things in order to put the taller stuff under (I.e. car).

Only issue is that the car stays on its wheels and you would either have to get a model of a 4 post lift with the secondary jack system (basically posts that come out and can lift the car) or use a small bottle jack.

/ Car lifts
Thanks for the thoughts - I have looked at them but they really take up too much space (plus I have a low ceiling - 10'). I use that bay to work on my tractors and want to be able to get the Mini excavator in there this winter so that really needs some room. I also would like to do the whole deal for around 2k (should have said that).

/ Car lifts #4  
Been looking at car lifts and wanted everyones thoughts and ideas.

I want something for doing oil changes, tire rotations, work on the Kawasaki Mule, motorcycle and the small tractor and general smaller eqpt.
The cars are easy - a Yaris and a Rav4, figure my Diesel truck is a bit too big and I really not need to lift it for an oil change anyway. We are lucky that we have newer cars so I don't really do anything major and if it needs done we have a local guy that is very reasonable and would take the vehicle down there.

We have a 5" 5000psi pad in the shop but I'm not sold on a two post lift. Mainly because it takes up too much space and I won't be able to move it out of the way if I am working on a larger project. I have looked at the
MaxJax Portable Car Lift - Home Garage Lift - Dannmar - MaxJax USA
and like it but am not sure that is the way to go or not.

I also looked at the
Auto Lift MR6K-48X 6000lb Capacity Mid Rise Scissor Lift

Figure I can use a scissor lift and make a "table" for the bike and lawn mowers and such.
As I mentioned I don't plan on doing exhausts or trannys so the scissor seems like it would work fine and it seems a bit safer.
What do you all think?

But what about checking the tranny, transfer case, rear end, 4x4 front end. Last week I checked the all the fluids in my 04 Jeep Liberty, it was quite a chore to get it off the floor 15+ inches with no lift. So when considering a small lift, keep in mind that all that cross bracings on some scissor lifts might be in the way of checking those fluids underneath and or removing oil filter/drain plug, therefor I'd take a look at something like this one on that page with no cross bars in the way>> Auto Lift PL6K 6600lb Low Rise Pit Lift | Best Buy Auto Equipment (and this one seemed like a good option>>> My New Ranger QuickJack Portable Lift - YouTube

/ Car lifts #5  
But what about checking the tranny, transfer case, rear end, 4x4 front end. Last week I checked the all the fluids in my 04 Jeep Liberty, it was quite a chore to get it off the floor 15+ inches with no lift. So when considering a small lift, keep in mind that all that cross bracings on some scissor lifts might be in the way of checking those fluids underneath and or removing oil filter/drain plug, therefor I'd take a look at something like this one on that page with no cross bars in the way>> Auto Lift PL6K 6600lb Low Rise Pit Lift | Best Buy Auto Equipment (and this one seemed like a good option>>> My New Ranger QuickJack Portable Lift - YouTube

Yeah I agree- there are just as many advantages to two post lifts as disadvantages, I would not trade my 10k lb. 2 post Bendpak for a 4 post.
Maybe if just doing oil changes, muffler work- but axle removal to body removal, suspension work, even changing a complete set of tires is much easier with a 2 post. I guess it really depends on what kind of work and the fact that in this case portability is important.

/ Car lifts #6  
my next shop will have a 10K 2 post lift

/ Car lifts
Last night I was reading for about 4 more hrs on lifts and am really leaning towards the:
MX-6 Portable Certified 2 Post Car Lift - Garage Hoist | MaxJax USA
I like that it is a 2 post that I can move. I also like the fact it is certified - makes me "feel" that it should be better built and a bit safer than some of the others out there.
Our vehicles are easy to check fluids on for the most part and the only diff. I need to check is on my 3/4 ton and I can pretty much just sit under it! LOL
I also like the little motorcycle adapter as it would be handy for the bike as well as messing around with the lawn mowers and such.
I am still looking around but thought I would post an update and wait for other ideas and thoughts. Thanks to all!

/ Car lifts #8  
^^^Mne will too.....two post gets my vote. If you need more space you need a bigger shop!

/ Car lifts #10  
I am in the same boat. I have a low ceiling, 8.5'. I also have a 3/4 ton truck. I thought what's the point if it won't lift all my vehicles? If I was building a new garage with a tall enough ceiling I'd go two post.