Car lifts

/ Car lifts #21  
If one were limited to an outdoor installation of a two post lift, what "weatherization" measures would you take. This Vermont, with cold snowy winters, pouring rains and hot and humid summer weeks on end.

Just that I've been thinking of a lift, but the present shop is low ceiling, and there really is no land for "another building".

From what I have read, the lifts are not designed for outdoor installation. That said, I have a friend with one that is installed outdoors, and have seen others. Though installation indoors would be preferable, I would think that with some basic maintenance (lubrication of cables, pulleys, protection of motor, etc), you could probably be alright outdoors.

I would do some research and see how others have fared with outdoor installation of the model you are looking at using.

/ Car lifts
What ceiling height do you have? I have a bendpak 10k pound 2 post assymetric. I lift my duramax all the time with it. I think you might be missing out by going smaller if you can fit the full size lift in there. Mine is 12' high.

If you really don't care about lifting the truck and are just looking for portability you can get a portable scissor jack from bendpak. I really think you might be limiting yourself though....you may think that clutches/transmission/exhaust, whatever else might not be in your future, but the ability to inspect and repair, and even just get access to grease parts can be extremely valuable. Don't short sell yourself by limiting access to the underbody.

I have mine in 6" of 4500 PSI - I believe the lift states you only need 4" of 3500 or something along those lines.

Thanks - You do make a point there, the bad thing is I only have 10' ceilings so i won't be able to lift the truck very high. I have 5" of 5000PSI cement so I should be ok there, just a bit short on the height.....

/ Car lifts #23  
From what I have read, the lifts are not designed for outdoor installation. That said, I have a friend with one that is installed outdoors, and have seen others. Though installation indoors would be preferable, I would think that with some basic maintenance (lubrication of cables, pulleys, protection of motor, etc), you could probably be alright outdoors.

I would do some research and see how others have fared with outdoor installation of the model you are looking at using.

Sounds right jb

I just pick- a- backed onto this thread.

/ Car lifts #24  
Understand that - If nothing else I want to make sure it is a certified lift - never know how well the others are engineered or put together.

That's the most important consideration there is. A failure of any hoist component is absolutely not acceptable.

/ Car lifts #25  
What I personally would do is get a 4 post lift, mount it permanently. Not only does it distribute the weight better (4posts vs 2).

The benefit is access to the middle section of the car for oil changes and such. And the most important benefit is that you can park things under it. I.e. lift up the mule and keep the bike, mower and such under it. Good for winter if you store something away. It depends on how high your ceiling is. If anything you can lift the mower and shorter things in order to put the taller stuff under (I.e. car).

Only issue is that the car stays on its wheels and you would either have to get a model of a 4 post lift with the secondary jack system (basically posts that come out and can lift the car) or use a small bottle jack.
What would you say is the minimum practical height for the ceiling of you go this way?

/ Car lifts #26  
What would you say is the minimum practical height for the ceiling of you go this way?
Depending on the things you want to lift. I've figured that if you lift a low sedan or an atv. (Mowers and such too) you would need only 4feet on the top and then 6inches for the beam and some clearance.
If you have a 10ft ceiling that would leave 5.5-6ft on the lower section which is enough for another car, etc. Which is also tall enough to walk under too.

In my opinion at 10ft of ceiling, it becomes something you should consider and then at 12+ it's almost a no brainer since you could lift pretty much a crossover /side by side or anything else and have enough clearance to drive in a truck or another car and comfortably walk under it and on the top floor.

/ Car lifts #27  
my next shop will have a 10K 2 post lift

you will Love it, great for oil, tire changes, exhaust work and transmission/ clutch jobs.

Would have saved me (several) hours of work dropping the front engine trans subframe on a Mazda MPV 4X4 mini van to replace the auto trans.

Come to think of it- that was the straw that broke the Camels back as far as whether to get a lift in the first place
ran out of expletives doing that job :laughing:

and speaking of lift usage,
Actually going to do a Cam belt , water pump, alternator upgrade and front strut replacement on a 1997 Camry, as soon as the parts arrive.
The lift will save time in several ways on this job.

Warning- DO NOT BUY A LIFT...

As soon as you do you will have new found friends (who have this car and...) :laughing:
?? - still not quite sure how I got roped into the Camry repair.

Last edited:
   / Car lifts #28  
You might want to check out Kwiklift.

/ Car lifts
Thank you for all the information. I ended up ordering the new MaxJax - it is certified and has locking points about every 3-4"s. It will allow me to lift up to 48" which, with a 10' ceiling, is about as good as it is going to get. It will work for all our car, suv and SxS as well as the motorcycle. It is too small for the truck but I never really lift it anyway and if couldn't lift it more than 20" anyway due to my ceiling so I can just use my ramps if I have to.
Should be here next weeks I am looking forward to installing it and getting some work done!