Car paint and stains - any detailers?

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers? #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Ok, I did something bad today. I was cleaning the Jeep and grabbed the wrong cleaner, trying to get the bugs off and sort of stained my grill. Not really sure what the cleaner was - blue, and it appeared to be a degreaser (I'm guessing and what Dad said at the time, but he does have dementia so....). When my parents moved from their home, I grabbed it (should have pitched it), thinking it would be fine for degreasing old eqpt. Well, I sprayed it on the grill of my Jeep, and now there is a blue tint that will not come off. It was only on for about 2 minutes tops, but the pressure washer won't get it off, nor scrubbing, nor scratch remover. The grill on Wranglers is plastic that is painted. Any idea how the heck I can get this stuff off? I really don't want to have it repainted but I know it will annoy me to death if I cant get it cleaned up.
Thanks

Attachments

• Jeep - 1.jpeg
    Jeep - 1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
   / Car paint and stains - any detailers? #2  
Maybe try something gentle like a clay bar? Or a gentle compound like swirl remover? By hand for sure with a damp soft cloth since it's painted plastic. Hopefully it just discolored the clear coat and one of these will lighten it up for you.

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers? #3  
I’m into cars and do a lot of detailing. I’ve done stuff with the attitude I can’t hurt it because I’ll have to get it painted anyway. I got pretty radical on vehicles that have been driven through road marking paint.

I agree with RustyA and try a clay bar but I’m not optimistic it will work. I’d the start with a gentle compound and work my up to a really abrasive one if needed, then buff out the scratches. I have a Porter Cable buffer I’d use in my shop if it was mine.

You could also try other cleaners, simple green or purple power but they might stain it more.

Just realize what you do may require a repaint by making it worse.

Last edited:
   / Car paint and stains - any detailers? #4  
Try one of those Mr Clean Magic Eraser sponges. I’ve had success cleaning alot of stuff with it. Might work on this issue.

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers?
Thanks all - Gave the clay a shot today, no joy. Didn't really do anything, which was disappointing. The magic eraser is an interesting idea and I will give it a shot before I start moving up on the compounds - I really don't want to have to repaint it, but I guess if that is the worse case it is not the end of the world...

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers? #6  
a clearcoat safe compound put on by hand will probably remove it,just remember to put a coat of wax on after

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers? #7  
If scratch remover won't fix it it sounds like the clearcoat is damaged or maybe even ate through.

Of the paint rejuvenators I like Meguiar's Ultimate compound, just seems to work better than other products

It cuts faster, yet self buffs to a great shine better than more abrasive products.

Maybe worth a try

Meguiar's® Ultimate Compound, G17216, 15.2 oz., Liquid | Meguiar's

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers?
I will give it a shot later this week as I have nothing to lose and it sounds like a good idea. Thank you all for your ideas - I will try them all!

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers? #9  
Those grills probably don’t have the traditional color coat, color coat paint system. I wonder if whatever you put on it didn’t etch it a little bit.

/ Car paint and stains - any detailers? #10  
Those grills probably don’t have the traditional color coat, color coat paint system. I wonder if whatever you put on it didn’t etch it a little bit.
I did something similar years ago.

I used a fairly strong mix of Castrol's Super clean on a 1980's Chevy truck dash which had the silver stripes around all of the gauges. That Super Clean stripped all of the striping off.