Carbon Dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Carbon Dioxide #111  
I’ll take this discussion in a different direction. Aside from who believes the climate change is happening, or whether it’s urgent, or whether electrification pollutes just as much, the electrification of transportation is happening, and it’s kind of awesome. I am a gearhead and a part-time farmer, but I’ve had an electric/battery car for more than two years now and I will never go back. We have four total vehicles in the family and all the drivers vastly prefer the electric car. Huge power, amazing performance, amazing efficiency, zero maintenance over more than 40,000 miles, and even on long road trips charging is super easy.

It’s a transition. This means that transportation is still in transition to electric power. There are still many use cases, like hauling and probably lots of other applications, where electric power doesn’t make sense. But over the next 10 years that’s going to change a lot.

A lot of people are going to switch to battery electric because it is/will be just better. Tractors really haven’t started yet. There are a couple of companies starting to produce them, but I seriously doubt they’re ready for prime time. When Kubota and Deere start rolling those out, that’ll be a thing for sure.

/ Carbon Dioxide #112  
Now even a tractor forum gets dragged into the sewer of politics. Sheesh.

/ Carbon Dioxide #113  
So here is what the so called media refuses to tell Americans...as of 2019 (before pandemic) the US has cut CO2 emissions by 15% since reaching a peak way back in 2007. In addition to that bit of good news current levels of CO2 emissions in the US are nearly the same as they were back in 1990...here is some more "wow no one ever told me that" during that same 30 years the overall GDP of the USA has tripled! US CO2 emissions fell another 10% in 2020 due to the pandemic to the lowest levels in decades. China emits almost 2x more CO2 than the US. I could go on but you can look up your own real facts...in this big game of global power and domination neither side is going to tell you the full story.

/ Carbon Dioxide #114  
Funny how back around 1978 the panic was the imminent ice age - if we didn’t let Big Brother take over energy, economy, most of society. Then the panic was global warming about to fry us - if we didn’t let Big Brother take over energy, economy, most of society. That turned out to be BS, but climate is always changing, so today’s panic is climate change going to kill us all - if we don’t let Big Brother take over energy, economy, most of society. We listen to nonsense about carbon footprints, the statists make up BS about carbon credits so they can mess with the economy, and constantly we are fed crap about CO2 being a scary greenhouse gas.

Billions of years ago, when Earth had no oxygen producing plant life, there likely was a time when the atmosphere was 70% CO2, and at that level CO2 really was a greenhouse gas. But at present levels, CO2 is a very small player. Water vapor and methane are the big players. Historically, atmospheric CO2 levels increase in the centuries following a warming trend, because the oceans have warmed a bit and released more carbon. We are currently emerging from a small ice age.

Aside from flat out faking figures (which has been done), it is easiest to frighten people by manufacturing a scary “hockey stick” temperature graph, simply beginning the graph some years after the hot summers of the 1930’s and showing a few recent brief warm years. It means little. We are now at the point where we can actually follow temperature trends on other worlds, and we’ve found a warming trend on Mars paralleling that on Earth. Care to blame that on tractors, cars or cows? A rational person would look at the energy source these worlds have in common. But then, a rational person would be listening to solar astronomers and perhaps calling Wiggy’s to order a winter parka.

Never trust a “scientist” whose research depends on government money. Never trust the mainstream media. And you should always heed red flags, such as “the science is settled.” When you hear that, you know you are not hearing a scientist, and you are being fed BS. I recently retired from 45 years in the hydroelectric industry. I know why wind power is a failure, just as I know politics almost always trumps true science. I am not losing sleep over the effect my 60 year old Massey Ferguson might have on our air.

Incidentally, if atmospheric CO2 levels drop much lower we will start seeing plant death. That will not be pleasant, but I guess it’s a self correcting problem. Perhaps I should go burn a tire for the environment. 🙄

/ Carbon Dioxide #115  
Man made climate change is certainly real - men manipulating the data and those they can unwittingly misinform to perpetuate the lies. Do some research and you will find that the data being presented is being altered by those who once published it otherwise. This grand deception is being magnified by your well meaning, but misled perceptions. Do yourself a favor (and the rest of us) and spend some time using some sound reasoning to do a little reading at:

This is a good place to start with many scientist participating in the commentary as well as many others of sound reasoning to help gain some perspective outside of the propaganda pushing circles. Many other articles/information with links from commenters to other places of reason.

“If you tell a lie big [preposterous] enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” - Joseph Goebbels

/ Carbon Dioxide #116  
I've seen NO legislation proposing a bill that will force you or me to buy electric anything.... :sick:
I won't be "force"!
It will come in the back door, with controlled availability/pricing of fossel fuels!

/ Carbon Dioxide #117  
Thank goodness for the CO2 as it feeds trees which in turn gives us oxygen and with the population growth we need oxygen. And throughout history the world has been changing forever, they have found dinosaur bones in the artic ice. And I can not believe this push for electric cars. Think back a few years on what they said about cellphone use. Don't carry in shirt pocket, don't have need your bed, don't hold it next to your ear, use only wired headphones and yet now it is safe to strap yourself and family in a car and sit on a huge battery. When Eddy and the twins get cancer remember that

/ Carbon Dioxide #118  
I had to look up my password again to actually post...

So current conspiracy theories or not, science or not, when you can look at the sky and SEE the stuff floating... when you can look at snowfalls over the past 20 years and see them getting smaller... and speaking of snow, when you can watch it melt and see the black particles that are in it... see the orange streams here in PA devoid of fish or wildlife. When you can see the the red-gray fly ash accumulate on the roads from the power plants in the summer, and then if you really look you can follow the drainage pattern off the road toward the streams and see that vegetation is killed two feet on either side... deny the science, deny whatever, you CAN SEE that. Coal power plants...ugh.

And they can be readily replaced with nuclear power as has been mentioned, and that day is slowly coming (Advanced Small Modular Reactors (SMRs)). Middle eastern countries are making significant moves toward nuclear power. The UAE with some of the richest fossil fuel deposits in the world are making a push for nuclear (Nuclear Power United Arab Emirates | UAE Nuclear Energy | Abu Dhabi | Dubai - World Nuclear Association). Kind of makes you wonder why, huh? Or not if you want to continue to think the yellow haze over Denver is fine, and reduced ice caps are a trick.

As far as lions and tigers and radiation oh my!, coal power plants actually release 5-10 tons of radioactive waste a year in thorium and uranium contained in fly ash (Do coal-fired power stations produce radioactive waste?). And unlike radioactive waste from a nuclear plant, they are putting fly ash anywhere they can cram it. i live 1/2 mile downwind from a coal plant, and would welcome a nuclear plant to move in. If for no other reason because nuclear is so tightly regulated.

/ Carbon Dioxide #119  
The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes, an increase of 47% since the start of the industrial revolution and 11% since the year 2000!

Carbon Dioxide functions like a Heat Blanket in the atmosphere, trapping sunlight energy and increasing the surface temperature of the Earth. This vast increase in the last twenty-four years is a direct result of increased combustion of fossil fuels....Oil and Coal.

Please tell me you hate this news, please tell me you don't believe in science but please listen. The audience of this forum is largely rural. Your interests should be aligned with a healthy environment and sustained ability of YOUR climate to support life as you wish it to be. The evidences of drought, elevated temperatures in many parts of the country, resulting fires and diminishing Glacial coverage at high elevations, more frequent and more intense Hurricanes striking the SE coast are not a hoax. All I, or anyone aware of the facts asks, is to please quit rebelling against improvements in how we conduct our operations. Look forward to vastly improved environmental tools and equipment and take pride, in taking part.
It would be a beautiful thing for the modern world to reduce CO2. HOWEVER... if the entire modern world 100% quit doing CO2 emmisions, the level would drop by less than ~10%.
Get China/India/Africa on board and now youre talking.

how about forest fires?, volcanos? cow butts....?

also-everyone loves solar and batteries.
use the goggle...
find out how these modern lithium batteries are made;

where do the resources come from?
how are they obtained?
how much drama does it take per ounce of material recovered?
how many batteries does one ounce make?
what is the life of that battery?
is it forever?
what happens when its dead?(no-what REALLY happens) that kiosk at your box store for dead batteries-follow that chain-where do they REALLY end up?
follow the REAL chain of your recycle bin... how much in that blue bin never gets a second life?

heres a fun one-all the hippies decided that paper bags were sustainable. Sure-they rot and are made out of trees that grow. But how do they get most trees? what kind of energy is needed from zero to a paper bag in your hand?
How many plastic bags does a gallon of oil make?

Im not gonna give stats-just answer those questions for yourself, do your own adult research and draw your own conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.