Carbon Dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Carbon Dioxide #1  

Recoveryhill

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3700SU
The latest atmospheric measurements of CO2 come in at 412 parts per million. This is the highest in more than several lifetimes, an increase of 47% since the start of the industrial revolution and 11% since the year 2000!

Carbon Dioxide functions like a Heat Blanket in the atmosphere, trapping sunlight energy and increasing the surface temperature of the Earth. This vast increase in the last twenty-four years is a direct result of increased combustion of fossil fuels....Oil and Coal.

Please tell me you hate this news, please tell me you don't believe in science but please listen. The audience of this forum is largely rural. Your interests should be aligned with a healthy environment and sustained ability of YOUR climate to support life as you wish it to be. The evidences of drought, elevated temperatures in many parts of the country, resulting fires and diminishing Glacial coverage at high elevations, more frequent and more intense Hurricanes striking the SE coast are not a hoax. All I, or anyone aware of the facts asks, is to please quit rebelling against improvements in how we conduct our operations. Look forward to vastly improved environmental tools and equipment and take pride, in taking part.

/ Carbon Dioxide #2  
It's time. We need to built some "green" unfrastructure to save the present fuels for portability. This is one reason why I keep preaching to think smaller. For instance, for me, an 18 hp diesel tractor is completely adequate and would love to have a good battery powered one.

Wish I could put in more solar panels, maybe if the present 2 trees on the south side of the house give up the ghost or if the rood needs replacing again. Could take out those 2 trees and replace with solar panelling that acts/looks like shingles.

/ Carbon Dioxide #4  
I can't find numbers but I think non commericial CUT use is pretty far down on the list of greenhouse gas emitters. We don't put that many hours on our machines (most people are under 100 hours/year), there's not a lot of us, and CUT's small engines don't emit a lot of CO2. There's about 10kg of CO2 emitted per gallon of diesel burned (plus the CO2 made in producing and transporting that gallon). Most of our CUTS use around 1/2-3/4 a gallon per hour. For comparison purposes, flying in an air liner from London to Rome (a relatively short trip) generates about 234kg of CO2 per passenger. A diesel F250 or similar will emit that 10kg every 15 miles or so even if it's just hauling the driver and his Big Gulp.

A battery electric CUT would fit many non commercial uses well. When they're charged by solar panels the only CO2 would come from the processes to make and transport the solar panels, which isn't that much.

There's not yet a cost competitive battery CUT (again the market is small) but I bet in 10 years there will be.

/ Carbon Dioxide #6  
My 1970 Nova with a 230cid L6 and 3sp manual got about 17mpg when it was in stock form making about 140hp. After much tweaking, I got it bumped up to around 300hp and it got about 8mpg.

Our 2011 Impala with a 3.6liter LFX engine (217cid) gets 30mpg on the highway and makes 300hp bone stock.

It's emissions are way cleaner than that '70 Nova, it uses almost 1/4 the fuel, and it's a much more comfortable car to drive.

My 2001 PowerTrac has a 25hp Kohler. I'd like to upgrade it to a fuel injected motor. Better economy and better emissions.

While repair costs are more expensive on newer equipment, it seems newer equipment is more reliable.

/ Carbon Dioxide #7  
Carbon dioxide absorbs infrared radiation (IR) in three narrow bands of wavelengths, which are 2.7, 4.3 and 15 micrometers (µM). This means that most of the heat producing radiation escapes it. About 8% of the available black body radiation is picked up by these "fingerprint" frequencies of CO2.

Water vapor is the significant heat capture mechanism,

Plus, PLANTS dearly love CO2 good plant growth means food for everybody. WIN,WIN

/ Carbon Dioxide #8  
We are using much more CO2 on medical procedures as it is easily absorbed by the body especially in medical procedures of the Gastrointestin type.

Don't forget carbonated beverages although some are naturally carbonated.

Plus all those CO2 fire extinguishers.

/ Carbon Dioxide
Politics or basic earth science?
Most definitely not Politics. Confusing basic science with politics is like confusing gravity with pizza. My sole purpose in this post was to present facts and stimulate thinking regarding selection and operation of various internal combustion tools. Nothing can or will change overnight. Consider the possibility of improvement, wherever possible, for you.

/ Carbon Dioxide
Carbon dioxide absorbs infrared radiation (IR) in three narrow bands of wavelengths, which are 2.7, 4.3 and 15 micrometers (µM). This means that most of the heat producing radiation escapes it. About 8% of the available black body radiation is picked up by these "fingerprint" frequencies of CO2.

Water vapor is the significant heat capture mechanism,

Plus, PLANTS dearly love CO2 good plant growth means food for everybody. WIN,WIN
You are almost correct but missed an important fact. Recent NASA research: “This new data set shows that as surface temperature increases, so does atmospheric humidity,” Dessler said. “Dumping greenhouse gases into the atmosphere makes the atmosphere more humid. And since water vapor is itself a greenhouse gas, the increase in humidity amplifies the warming from carbon dioxide."

The relationship is interconnected. More CO2, warmer surface, more evaporation, more Water Vapor in the atmosphere more warming.

Status
Not open for further replies.