Carbon Dioxide

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Carbon Dioxide #31  
China continuing down the coal path is troubling for sure but they’re investing in clean energy production too - it’s not all coal. But even with power derived from coal, EVs offer around a 30% total reduction in overall emissions versus vehicles that run on carbon based fuels.
So we’ve already reduced motor vehicle emissions by something like 70% using better exhaust filtration and better efficiency with engines. Why don’t we keep doing that AND turn adapt our existing power plants to cleaner emissions and build more nuclear instead of scrapping EVERYTHING and forcing everyone into electric vehicles?

That puts the expense on CORPORATIONS instead of INDIVIDUALS

I mean why go for your “30% cleaner” at huge expense to American citizens model, when we could clean up the power plants first, while continuing to lower emission. THEN we could see where we are at?

/ Carbon Dioxide #33  
Back in the 70's tax credit for wood stoves because wood was the considered a renewable...

/ Carbon Dioxide #34  
China continuing down the coal path is troubling for sure but they’re investing in clean energy production too - it’s not all coal. But even with power derived from coal, EVs offer around a 30% total reduction in overall emissions versus vehicles that run on carbon based fuels.
Now don't go mixing carbon dioxide / green house gasses, with "Overall emissions". That's just bad science.

And if you do the math, the conversion of carbon based fuels to heat energy by the process of rapid oxidation follows very strict stoichiometric relationships. No free lunch!

/ Carbon Dioxide #35  
Couldn't we in the "western world, Put scrubbers on our coal fired plants? Present estimates in Germany, G.B> and the US suggest coal reserves sufficient to provide energy needs well into our great, great grand children's future
I have read several articles that the natural gas supply (natural gas very clean burning) under Pennsylvania ALONE, could power the US power plants for hundreds of years!

Why not pursue that?

/ Carbon Dioxide #36  
So we’ve already reduced motor vehicle emissions by something like 70% using better exhaust filtration and better efficiency with engines. Why don’t we keep doing that AND turn adapt our existing power plants to cleaner emissions and build more nuclear instead of scrapping EVERYTHING and forcing everyone into electric vehicles?

That puts the expense on CORPORATIONS instead of INDIVIDUALS
I don’t disagree, but I will say that like governments, corporations don’t really have money the same way people have money. By that I mean when you tax a corporation (or sue a city) that cost just gets passed down to the consumer (taxpayer) so in the end you and I are the ones who are actually paying that money, not ‘the government’ or ‘the corporation’.

/ Carbon Dioxide #37  
I don’t disagree, but I will say that like governments, corporations don’t really have money the same way people have money. By that I mean when you tax a corporation (or sue a city) that cost just gets passed down to the consumer (taxpayer) so in the end you and I are the ones who are actually paying that money, not ‘the government’ or ‘the corporation’.
Yes, but I see the “tax” on more expensive fuel created by cleaning up power plants as more fairly spread out expense, versus forcing Americans to scrap their fossil fuel vehicles and be forced to buy electric.
What do you tell a person who pays $75,000 for a car/truck that it must be scrapped and they must spend a similar amount for an electric car?
Most people can’t make ends meet.

/ Carbon Dioxide #39  
Couldn't we in the "western world, Put scrubbers on our coal fired plants? Present estimates in Germany, G.B> and the US suggest coal reserves sufficient to provide energy needs well into our great, great grand children's future
We did but its still not a perfect setup. They did this many years ago.

/ Carbon Dioxide #40  
Yes, but I see the “tax” on more expensive fuel created by cleaning up power plants as more fairly spread out expense, versus forcing Americans to scrap their fossil fuel vehicles and be forced to buy electric.
What do you tell a person who pays $75,000 for a car/truck that it must be scrapped and they must spend a similar amount for an electric car?

I've seen NO legislation proposing a bill that will force you or me to buy electric anything.... :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.