Carport and Mice

/ Carport and Mice #1  

SJay

Gold Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT225 Tractor, John Deere 4x2 Gator, Husqvarna Zero Turn, John Deere Buck 650 ATV
I leave my truck parked outside on the driveway and I want to move it off the driveway into a carport.

I don't drive it everyday so it may sit 3, 4, 5 days at a time am I going to have a mice issue because it's in the woods a little bit

I do plan on clearing a trees out of there and putting down gravel for a stone mix product on the ground 20200824_081434.jpeg20200824_081520.jpegScreenshot_20200824-081636_Gallery.jpegScreenshot_20200824-081743_Gallery.jpeg

/ Carport and Mice #2  
Good Morning - SJay. I'm VERY rural - most who visit call it remote. I have chipmunks & mice. First - you must decide what your goal will be. Control the critters OR keep them out of your truck. Your pictures would indicate that you probably will never be able to control the critters. Too much woods and wild growth beyond your house/driveway for them to live in. Like at my place - for every mouse/chipmunk I trap - there are two more, out there in the "wings". Waiting their turn to "come on down".

So... now we come down to - - keep them out of your truck. Recognize - first - there is NO SUCH THING - as a permanent cure. Most everything will work for a while.

I've used these "methods" and had temporary success. So... I rotate these deterrents monthly. The one thing that does seem to help on an ongoing basis -

Keep the hood of your truck open when parked in the carport. Mice/chipmunk do not like the "open environment".

Then - a small bottle - I use a pill bottle - small holes drilled around the perimeter. Cotton balls/pads - soaked in Peppermint Essential Oil - packed into the pill bottle. One in the glove box - one located in the engine compartment, nylon tied down. I'm using this deterrent right now.

Clothes dryer aromatic sheets - under the seats - in the door pockets. I have a dozen inside my pickup right now.

Aromatic bars of soap - in perforated Ziplock bags - located where I put the dryer sheets.

Human hair - in perforated Ziplock bags - located where I put the dryer sheets. I've tried this method with the human hair soaked in human urine. I quit this - didn't like the smell.

Moth balls - perforated Ziplock bags - mainly in the engine compartment - too darn strong to be in the passenger compartment.

I think you are getting the general idea here. The important thing - rotate the methods on a routine basis. Don't let the "critters" become accustom to any one deterrent method.

/ Carport and Mice #3  
It sounds as though oosik has an ongoing struggle. I experienced mice (or something) doing damage under the hoods of two cars in my carport. I put a partial box od D-Con under the hood of each - no more trouble. Unfortunately due to federal regulations you can no longer buy it. Strangely I've had no issues with pickup or tractor and they park away from the house. I guess my mice are "homebodies". My neighbor swears he's seen rabbits climbing under his hood. I've never seen my culprits so I can't say for sure. Good luck with your truck.

/ Carport and Mice #4  
For sure - mice/chipmunk will alway be an ongoing battle out here. I've tried poisons. One downside - the dying critter will crawl into an "unaccessible" area on your truck and die. The odor of "rotting critter" can be overpowering.

Trapping is a viable option - if you are willing to run/maintain a trap line. Also - recognize - you will reduce their numbers but never totally eliminate them.

My Taco Wagon( 2018 Ram Power Wagon ) has remote start/emergency horn. I will randomly - night/day - point the remote control out at the truck and activate remote start or "Emergency horn blast". This appears to be very upsetting to the critters. Occasionally - I will hear one of the critters exit thru the fan blades. Garden hose & nozzle cleans that right up.

/ Carport and Mice #5  
Had no issues with my GMC HD2500, guess they didn't like GM, bought the RAM, within a month the little guys did $1,600 in damage - destroying most of the wires, we were using bounce and moth balls - both vehicles were parked on crushed stone - what we found out from the dealer; it seems Chrysler's foam is actually made / mixed with some recycled edible products that the mice like to eat / enjoy. I thought was nice of them :mad: they readily advised I was not the first one that appreciated it :thumbdown: Thankfully the insurance took care of the bill - we then set a live trap - increased the bounce / moth balls (be more diligent during fall) and I installed a electronic critter detractor under the hood (you can get them at any auto parts / amazon etc) - within a day wife had caught a few of the culprits - drove them a few miles away and let them go - we've not had another problem - I believe the electronic gadget does a decent job it's wired direct to the battery always on - no power drain issues, even during -25 weather - I put a larger electronic gadget in the garage - and have one plugged in the outside receptacle as well. My Ram dealer had already repaired nine trucks that season so it's a on going battle, have to stay diligent.......

/ Carport and Mice #6  
What do you all think of the Bait Stations that have the various formulations in chunks?

In my situation, I use several old fashion mouse traps using peanut butter for bait. The down side to this (in warm weather) is resetting the traps with fresh bait, because the ants ultimately eat it off. Then, I also use a couple different formulations of the bait station chunks. Having done this year after year, I trap a deer mouse just now and then.
I set traps in the attached garage, in my shed and in the Shelter Logic building.....also leave the hoods up on all three tractors. The truck sits outside for a week or two (on gravel) or in the attached garage. I don't prep it at all. So far...so good.
Cheers,
Mike

/ Carport and Mice
All good thoughts - thanks

/ Carport and Mice #8  
I would certainly use any/all acceptable forms of rodent poison. But I have a very young Cocker Spaniel that likes to "taste" everything.

What's this "thing" with a vehicle sitting on gravel? Is this supposed to deter chipmunks & mice?

/ Carport and Mice #9  
Nah-h-h i.e. it ain't sitting in the weeds.

/ Carport and Mice #10  
Muli-catch traps and poison in pet proof bait stations. Deterrents work somewhat but not with a large population.

Jack Russel or Rat Terriers will rid the place of them. They will persue the rodents with extreme passion. Cats are lazy and somewhat effective.