Carport prep - Cedars must go!

/ Carport prep - Cedars must go! #31  
I spent every weekend last summer driving from eastern Michigan to our facility in Seward NE to use special equipment they had out there. You folks have a special thing with wind, thats for sure...

Next time, use a post hole digger and put down 12" tubes and grout the legs in concrete. Its not really a very big job, and it certainly won't go walking across the field.

You didn't mention damage to anything under the roof, but that is something to consider. Generally the value of the stuff under the roof is higher than the structure and one can do an amazing amount of damage that way. Had a gust of wind blow our shade umbrella off our deck (it had been on the deck for 2 years, no incident and sheltered from prevailing westerlies) and if flew off and "speared" the passenger side door on our Audi A6. Had I not traded the car in under the cash for clunkers program, it would have cost $2k or more to replace that door (aluminum skinned) and re-paint it.

Sometimes **** happenes !

/ Carport prep - Cedars must go!
OK, I am beginning to think that particular location on my lot (where the carport was) does not want something on top of it. First the carport and yesterday the new swimming pool.

Yesterday was extremely hot calm day and I finally broke down and bought one of those above ground swimming pools. Due to the carports demise, I thought I would just use that spot as it won't take much to level again with the TYM. Got the land leveled, assembled the pool (simple as 1,2,3 according to the instructions). Started filling the pool, got about 3 hours into and and wham here comes a quick thunderstorm from nowhere. It brought some nasty winds and fortunately no hail (for me anyway).

Long story short the pool hadn't had time to fill enough to keep the wind from bending the metal frame and slamming a sharp edge into the liner. It punched 3 holes in the bottom and bent the heck out of the frame. The storm also took a wooded chair off the front porch ever so delicately and smashed my riding lawn mower with it, busting the chair in about 20 pieces. The TV antenna now also looks like a birds nest.

So with all the bad luck, I am thinking that spot might be an Indian burial ground or something, maybe I better just leave it alone...

Sorry guys, no pictures.. the week was already bad enough before this happened and I rather not have pictures when I have the memories so vivid in my mind.

Last edited:
   / Carport prep - Cedars must go! #33  
That sure is an interesting string of bad luck. Can you fix the pool, or is it beyone repair?

Eddie

That sure is an interesting string of bad luck. Can you fix the pool, or is it beyone repair?

Eddie
Already put 3 large vinyl patches on it. Time will tell.. Unfortunately too much time as the repair parts we ordered won't be in for a month. They have to come from (dare i say) CHINA. By that time, I don't think I will try putting the pool up again this year. We don't have the warm weather like you southern folk.. ya know.

/ Carport prep - Cedars must go! #35  
I'm thinking that with wind like that, you should build an underground house and garage. I thought the carport was a cool solution, but after what you went through, I'd be thinking of moving. Wishing you much better luck, Brian

/ Carport prep - Cedars must go! #36  
Dude that area has bad juju. I'm thinking an Indian Chief is buried there. Till it and plant some flowers.

Wedge

Dude that area has bad juju. I'm thinking an Indian Chief is buried there. Till it and plant some flowers.

Wedge

I am afraid I would suddenly get severe allergies and it would be only to the type of flowers I chose to plant there!

Seriously, I am going to put something in that spot that the wind can't mess with..

/ Carport prep - Cedars must go! #38  
Maybe a wind-turbine is most appropriate. Try to embrace the wind's power more so than overcome it! How about a windmill pumping water through a pipe use to fill up the pool on the other side of the house. Sounds like it might fill up faster that way!