Case 580 Super K Drive Problems

/ Case 580 Super K Drive Problems #1  

jhszpak

Tractor
JD 1025R
Can anyone teach me a little about how my machine drives and help troubleshoot my issue?! Sometimes I hear a whining sound (like a relief valve is lifting towards rear of machine) and when I go to drive I have very little power and engine does not rev up. However, when this happens if I lift the front bucket or curl the front bucket it operates well - engines revs right up and drives with full power. First, how are these two things related?! More importantly, what should I do to troubleshoot? The dealer just repaired parking brake and had rear end pulled apart, no issues, new oil and filter. It wasn't happening before that but I doubt that had anything to do with this problem. I use Case HY-Tran Premium in rear end and Case TCH for hydraulic oil. The hydraulics always work very strong...no issues there. An when it does drive, it drives strong - Not that I do, but I can even start off driving in 4th gear if I wanted to. I tested that out.

Attachments

• DSCN5085.JPG
    DSCN5085.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
   / Case 580 Super K Drive Problems #2  
Can anyone teach me a little about how my machine drives and help troubleshoot my issue?! Sometimes I hear a whining sound (like a relief valve is lifting towards rear of machine) and when I go to drive I have very little power and engine does not rev up. However, when this happens if I lift the front bucket or curl the front bucket it operates well - engines revs right up and drives with full power. First, how are these two things related?! More importantly, what should I do to troubleshoot? The dealer just repaired parking brake and had rear end pulled apart, no issues, new oil and filter. It wasn't happening before that but I doubt that had anything to do with this problem. I use Case HY-Tran Premium in rear end and Case TCH for hydraulic oil. The hydraulics always work very strong...no issues there. An when it does drive, it drives strong - Not that I do, but I can even start off driving in 4th gear if I wanted to. I tested that out.
Clutch cutout wiring on loader handle may need some attention.

/ Case 580 Super K Drive Problems #3  
***Clutch cutout wiring on loader handle may need some attention.*** I recall a thread I'm thinking here a couple years ago with a fellow having similar issues, and that was the problem.

/ Case 580 Super K Drive Problems
Oh boy, I never thought about that and that would make sense. I never use that feature and to tell you the truth when you mentioned it, I was wondering if my machine even had that feature. For the life of me I could not make the connection between the hydraulic pump and the torque converter/clutch. I just went out to trouble shoot that but everything was working fine again and sure enough it has that button and it did cycle the solenoid and work properly. I will wait until it happens again to see if that is the connection. Thanks so much...I hope that is it and not a major issue!

/ Case 580 Super K Drive Problems #5  
I am wondering what the clutch cutout has to do with what the OP is describing as a possible relief blowing off and a pulldown on the engine. A clutch cutout switch would allow a transmission neutral situation meaning no movement and the engine to be ina no load condition from the power train.

I do not know what is going on, but the description points to the hydraulic system
jhszpak, are there any electric activated hydraulic circuits on this tractor such as electric over hydraulic 4-1 or self leveling?

Oh, sorry for my ignorance but I don't know. Yes, you are correct in that when it happens I loose engine power and it does drive a bit but real slow. It definitely has an auto leveling system for the front loader bucket that seems to work fine, so I am thinking that maybe yes. Is there an easy way for me to tell? If it self levels does that mean it is "electric over hydraulic"? I can go look/research and I do have the manuals for it. What are you thinking could be an issue with that? Thank you for your thoughts.

/ Case 580 Super K Drive Problems #7  
I meant to say return-to-dig system as self leveling is usually mechanical. Anyway, you are looking for a linkage like that of the Anti-rollback control linkage being out of adjustment or binding, first picture.
The return-to-dig sensor could be out of position, but this would only react when you pull your bucket back to a curl position as this keeps the lever in that position of curling until the sensor sees that the bucket has come back to a "return to dig" state which is the bucket being level with the ground when adjusted correctly. If it was sticking after you curled your bucket back this would cause a relief to open without seeing much else going on. Once you moved the loader lever, it would release.

I don't see either condition bogging the engine down that much, but it is possible. One test to see if you can replicate the engine condition would be to "bottom" the bucket out in a full curl, holding it there and trying to drive the tractor. If the tractor responds similarly to your explanation, then it is a valve sticking and blowing the relief.

Attachments

• Anti rollback control.png
    Anti rollback control.png
    145 KB · Views: 43
  • Return to dig control.png
    Return to dig control.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 36
Okay, thank you, I just did a test. I think you are onto something! No issues when curling or dumping front bucket. However, I can repeat the issue by raising the front boom to full height, then holding (I start hearing sound like relief lifting) and when I put in drive very little power and barely moves. Those are the symptoms I periodically have but when I am not doing anything with the hydraulics. I also tested it when I lower front boom all the way down and held. It did same thing.

On a separate note, the self leveling works fine. However, I don't know how to use the "return to dig" system. How do I test that?

Also, I notice when I hear that sound like a relief valve lifting my hydraulic oil starts to look really bad in the sight glass - emulsified. But after a couple days sitting, it looks better. I drained some out to check it and it looks kind of bad even though I had changed it last year and only has about 100 hrs on it. When I changed it last year it looked good...but I did not have this problem back then so I am thinking the 2 may be related.

Thanks so much!

/ Case 580 Super K Drive Problems #9  
When you have the loader up and have dumped the load, pull the lever to curl the bucket while pushing the lever all the way forward to float (Loader lever to the left and pushed forward). The loader will float to the ground and the bucket will curl back to where the bucket floor is level with the ground. Now it is ready or has returned to dig.
The loader stick should still be in float, but the bucket part of the stick should have released to the center.