Case 580K frozen bucket pins

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
The pin shown below is frozen to the cast iron arm. Any suggestions on how to free this up? Both pins on each side of the bucket are this way. I smacked him hard several times with a 5lb maul. These pins have a grease zerk on one end and they won't take grease (obviuosly)
This is an older picture from when that side blew a hydraulic hose.
I thought about taking a handheld propane torch and heating it. Interesting in that the bucket pivot pins hidden in the picture DO NOT have grease zerks.
And the parts diagram also shows them without grease zerks.
Bucket-problems-L.jpg

Attachments

• Bucket-problems-M.jpg
    Bucket-problems-M.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 516
   / Case 580K frozen bucket pins #2  
I would think heat, but not too much as to weaken the arm? You could also start spraying it with PB blaster or something similar then work the machine a bit. Aren't those pins held in by bolts on the bucket and did you notice they were seized because the bolts were missing? Also, I had a 580K and no the lower bucket pins are not greaseable, I believe this was done so a greasy pin didn't end up in the dirt creating a grinding compound for the bushings, mine had almost 4000hrs on it and the bucket was still quite tight.

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins
I noticed they were seized when they wouldn't take grease. The pins are held in by snap rings on each end. I should have went over it closer when I bought it but haven't had the time. I did free up two other sticky loader pins and one sticky backhoe pin. I never thought about the bottom and being more in the dirt...makes sense.

Last edited:
   / Case 580K frozen bucket pins #4  
put diesel on them let it sit over nite and put some more on the next day that should free them up

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins #5  
Soak some rags with diesel, Kroll, WD40, etc.

A trick I use frequently is to apply penetrating oil, and then vibrate it in with a blunt punch on a pneumatic hammer. Dial the pressure down to about 20 psi to avoid damaging things. Put the punch on the head of the bolt & on the flats of the pin and give a few seconds burst on the trigger, working your way around all sides. If the fastener is inaccessible, you can also use the punch directly on the part the fastener attaches to. The big time vibrations will cause the penetrating oil to creep where it's needed. Last trick works for sleeved parts, not nuts or bolts. A 20+ ton hydraulic press may remove stubborn parts after you try everything else. Patience is your most important tool.

This is by far cheaper than the commercial brands like WD-?? for example.

Here is what you need. A cheap spray bottle (you probably have an empty one laying around). In this bottle mix a 50/50 mix of 100% acetone and dextron/mercron automatic transmission fluid. The two fluids will separate like oil and vinegar so you have to shake the bottle well before spraying.

I mixed up a batch and let it soak for 15 minutes on the part and with a few taps it came right off.

Also another home made recipe - Equal parts of......

Laquer thinner
Acetone
Kerosene
ATF

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins
Thanks for the tips.

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins #7  
I like a blue tip when all else fails. As in Oxy Acetylene torch....heat the EFF out of it.....works great on nuts also.......z

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins #8  
Well, I've got a frozen main front bucket pin that won't come out.......I've used Kroil, and a 12Ton Jack....but had to back up the other side with a large pipe and another jack, cause it was bending the support.....heated the living crap out of it, but still won't move. Guess I'll try the vibrating deal next....and a bigger jack maybe.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Pin2.jpg

Pin3.jpg

Pin1.jpg

z

Last edited:
   / Case 580K frozen bucket pins #9  
I never found soaking a frozen pin with various fluids to ever be effective. I have been successful using a oxy-acetylene torch by heating the pin ends almost to dull red, not to a point where you are about to burn the pin, then hitting it with a water hose. The expansion and contraction would break the corrosion and was able to pound the pins out.

/ Case 580K frozen bucket pins #10  
Thanks Oak......I'll try that ........after we move up to a 20Ton jack on the business end.......lol........z