Case IH 685 Light Behavior Question

/ Case IH 685 Light Behavior Question #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
I picked up an '87 Case IH 685 (British built, gear tractor, no cab). It's a pretty sound machine, but every light on the thing has been removed, and the wiring cut off behind the light/horn switch. I'm going to buy aftermarket lights to put on the machine, but I would like to use the stock switch on the dash. Since wiring diagrams seem to be unobtanium, I plan to ohm it out and duplicate the (missing) stock wiring after splicing to the stock switch.

My question is, can someone with a similar machine tell me how your light switch works? There are 4 positions. From top to right they are [OFF] [HAZARD] [ROAD] [FIELD]. That would suggest that you can't have the headlights on when the flashers are on, and if that is the case I'll pitch the stock switch and install my own toggles. My hope is that one of you can confirm that the headlights come on in the HAZARD position as well.

Here's a pic of the switch. Don't get excited, the hour meter is broke :)

DSCN0146.JPG

/ Case IH 685 Light Behavior Question #2  
G'day looks like the same switch as our 786 you get hazard, road ( hazard and front lights ), field ( no hazard,all front and rear lights) If you switch has been cut out of the system then it might be bad might want to check on the price of a new one as IIRC they are an expensive nit

Jon

/ Case IH 685 Light Behavior Question
Thank you Jon, that makes perfect sense. I suspect all of the lighting on this tractor was "removed" by tree branches if the condition of the mounting holes is any indication, so maybe the switch is good. I do find myself encouraged that the name "Lucas" doesn't appear on any of the electrics that I have seen so far.

/ Case IH 685 Light Behavior Question #4  
G'day again further to earlier I remember that the hazard on our 786 was controlled in the indicator switch and when this went bad it was a very expensive unit from IH i think we got one from A&I for about half the price

Jon

/ Case IH 685 Light Behavior Question #5  
I have the wiring diagram for your tractor. If you pm me your email I can scan it and send it to you.