Casters for project table

/ Casters for project table #1  

BravoXray

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230, John Deere 430 Diesel
I have a bench/table for welding and project assembly that I built almost 35 years ago, that I put casters with hard rubber wheels on. Over the years it has been getting increasingly difficult to move it if it has any significant amount of weight on it. So I finally remembered to pick up four new caters with 3" cast iron wheels at TSC to replace the rubber wheeled ones. They are typical made in China casters, seem pretty decently made, but with no way to lubricate them. I pulled the bolts used for axles out of them and decided to drill them and install grease zerks so they can be greased.
Chucked the first on in the lathe and while drilling a 1/8" hole about 1 1/8" deep from the head end, and pulling the bit out every few seconds to clear the chips, it seemed like there were hard spots that were difficult to get through, even with a new cobalt bit. Sure enough, eventually the bit snapped off, and I wasn't able to get the broken piece out.
I tossed the remaining bolts and pulled four 3/8" X 2 1/2" USS bolts out of my bin to use instead. Those all drilled with no issues. I drilled a cross hole in the center of the wearing area and enlarged the entrance hole to be tapped 1/4"-28 for the zerks. I had to thread the bolts an extra 3/8" to match the originals and cut them off the the same length.
Put them all together and gave each a shot of grease, and they're ready to be installed.
I also made four 3" X 3 3/4" plates to weld to the bottom of the the table legs and drilled holes so the casters can be bolted on.
Now, as soon as the parts for my Yanmar generator come back from the powder coat shop, I can put it back together and get the bench cleared off. I'm trying to decide whether to get the table blasted and powder coated also, or just get it blasted and paint it. I'm tired of the half rusty steel, half nasty, stained, old blue paint look. Time to spiff it up.

Attachments

• Greaseable Casters (1) (Custom).jpg
    Greaseable Casters (1) (Custom).jpg
    585.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Greaseable Casters (3) (Custom).jpg
    Greaseable Casters (3) (Custom).jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 69
   / Casters for project table #2  
You did more work on these casters than I would have! I'd have greased them and put them to work and worried less? :ROFLMAO: