Cat 287B hyd line question?

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #1  

dirtworksequip

Veteran Member
Tractor
2006 JD 3520 w/cab & 300CX loader. 1995 JD 870 w/440 loader & 8b backhoe.JD 455 w/54" mower deck.
Anyone know how I can keep from loosing all the hyd fluid in the tank while replacing a non pressurized line? Can't kink it because of wire inside.Open to any suggestions.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #2  
By non-pressurized line do you mean the suction line that goes from the tank to the pump? If so then you are probably out of luck especially if the tank is higher than the line you are replacing as there is no easy way from stopping fluid from flowing down. Gravity can be a pain you know.

I had to drain the tank in my dozer to replace the rubber hose part of the suction line because the tank is high behind the seat and the pump was almost below the engine. The rubber suction hose connected the hard metal line from the tank to another hard line to the pump. The wire in the 1.5" ID suction hose is pretty heavy and does not bend very easily.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #3  
You could pump it out into a clean container. Then service the hose and refill the tank.

Eric

/ Cat 287B hyd line question?
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, that is what I came to the conclusion of doing. I'm going to get a piece of poly hose and hook it to a battery powered kerosene pump and try pumping out most of the oil. It only holds 9.2 gallons.

The other problem is.......... the hose ends are both real tough to get access to. The good part is they are just held in place with hose clamps so I would not have to get a wrench in there, just a screw driver

Once I get the oil out I may just cut the hose and try and find something to slip inside to use as a coupler and put 2 more hose clamps on.

I figure its probably an $80 to $100 hose since its formed.

Thanks again for the replys!

/ Cat 287B hyd line question?
Mad, I always heard "Let gravity be your friend" , but I know what you mean if it is working against you.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #6  
I have clamped vise grips on lines before to keep oil from draining.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #7  
JerryG said:
I have clamped vise grips on lines before to keep oil from draining.
But that would be pretty hard on a suction line that is either metal or a 2" OD hose with heavy wire woven into the hose fabric. Suction hose is constructed a lot different than pressure hose.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #8  
Woven wire is what I have used vise grips on. If the hose is a larger size, you can use welding vise grips. Of course if the hose is to large or to stiff, you can't do it this way.

Opps. I just noticed the size of unit that he is working on in the title. I don't guess the vise grips will work on that size of hoses.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #9  
Also alot of suction hoses are reinforced with a very heavy gauge wire. If you tried to pinch it shut you would bend the wire and then have a flat spot in your hose that would then cause a restriction.

Pumping out your tank is probably your best bet. Once you do it, if you can I would install a shut off valve. That way if you ever have to do it again you won't have to drain the tank, only turn the valve off to the tank.

/ Cat 287B hyd line question? #10  
In some cases you can hook a vacuum hose (from a vacuum pump, running engine, etc.) to tank and it will slow it way down or not let it run out at all. We used to do this on hyd. rigs we used to rent that had 40 gal.+ tanks on them. I don't know how big of an inlet filler you have, or if there is a round plate on tank top you can pull (sometimes to access filter/screen), you might be able to place a ping-pong ball into opening inside tank to block oil from escaping as long as ball is larger than hole going to hose.