Cats in trees, rural life 101

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101
THAT one hurts though, as it could have been me. Years ago when I was young and foolish, I was working for a tree service clearing lines. We were sent out to do 16 miles of phone line which had multiple trees across it. In one case the tree was heavy enough so that the phone line was on the ground, so the foreman told me to hold the wire so that it didn't know his saw into his face when it released.
You probably know what happened... one second I was standing there holding the cable watching him make his cut. The next thing that I knew I was dangling above the ground from the wire, with the foreman screaming at me. The groundman said that it lifted me up right to the end of my arms, if I hadn't held on it would have launched me like a slingshot. Luckily for me there were no power lines in the poles.
Read what I followed up with that wasn't included in your original quote of mine (I had to be editing it at the same time).

My FIL was a power lineman for 35 years. I had a new respect for that work that I never thought of after I met him.

Unless I'm working for a power company and know what I'm doing, I'm not holding NO power lines or anything that looks like a power line 🤣

Heck, capacitors can hold a charge for some time to people surprises (found that one out a long time ago, never to be fooled again).

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #12  
Read what I followed up with that wasn't included in your original quote of mine (I had to be editing it at the same time).

My FIL was a power lineman for 35 years. I had a new respect for that work that I never thought of after I met him.

Unless I'm working for a power company and know what I'm doing, I'm not holding NO power lines or anything that looks like a power line 🤣
I learned from THAT mistake! I was with that company 3 weeks. In that time period the regional supervisor dropped a branch across a high tension wire, causing two poles to catch fire. What a light show though! :D Also, we were sent out to a new subdivision on Mount Desert Island to clear trees so that poles could be set. I thought it was odd that the poles were going on the back side of the pins, rather than within the road R/W. After 2 days the developer showed up with smoke comin out of his ears, threatening lawsuit for cutting trees outside of the R/W.

The punishment for stealing copper from substations is often instant death, as I"m sure that you know.

The punishment for stealing copper from substations is often instant death, as I"m sure that you know.
I understand how animals who don't know what man made objects are can decide to "inspect them out" putting themselves in potential danger, but how a human being can climb over a fence with electrical wires inside that fence area is beyond human common sense IMO trying to make a quick buck. No different than pointing a "unloaded" gun at yourself IMO.

Getting back to the topic, as mentioned, really wish I stayed around to see exactly how that dang cat got down ;)

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #14  
Getting back to the topic, as mentioned, really wish I stayed around to see exactly how that dang cat got down ;)
I had one many years ago that would keep getting (way) up in a tree and get stuck there for a couple days before it figured out how to get down. You'd think it would have learned first time.

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #15  
Getting back to the topic, as mentioned, really wish I stayed around to see exactly how that dang cat got down

That's easy, have your dogs chase it up the tree again and set up a game cam.

I had one many years ago that would keep getting (way) up in a tree and get stuck there for a couple days before it figured out how to get down. You'd think it would have learned first time.
So did you see how it got down?

With those claws in the "cat family", I think its easier to go up, but down could be another story.

Thinking about it, does a cat know to extend it's claws as it's backing down (but first, not head first) a tree and work against gravity?

For the first time in my life, I was actually thinking about calling my local fire department because if that cat couldn't get down, I don't think I could "help" on my own.

Like I said, if you're dumb arse got you up there, figure it out yourself to get down LOL

That's easy, have your dogs chase it up the tree again and set up a game cam.
At this point in my life with two teens living in the house, figuring this out is NOT that important to me LOL

I'm just by myself right now, and when it happened, and I'm thinking what am I going to do. Then common sense kicked in and I figured the cat would think things out LOL

Never saw a skeleton in a tree, so why call the fire department at all? (which crossed my mind per calling).

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #18  
This guy does it as a free service to cat owners. Why Do Cats Get Stuck in Trees?.

I went up a tree just once after a cat which had been up there for a couple of days. I don't remember how far up he was, but if I'd come down the hard way it would have hurt. I think I had a basket or bucket I was supposed to put the feline in, then lower it to the ground by a rope. Plans changed when the little B******d bit and clawed me.

He landed on his feet, but I stayed in the tree for a bit longer until the people on the ground stopped cursing me for how I got the dang feline back to terra firma.