Cats in trees, rural life 101

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #21  
When I was a kid, we had a cat, a Russian Blue, that loved to climb trees in the winter. He'd run up 20-30' to a good branch. Then he'd push the snow off the branch and watch it fall the ground. Then push some more and watch. Push and watch. He'd spend hours up in the trees on sunny days just laying on his belly with his legs hanging off the sides of the branch. Goofy thing. When he wanted to come down, he'd just turn around and back down the tree like in the two videos I posted above. They'll come down when they get bored or hungry.

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #22  

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #23  
@Sigarms, i had a video of one of our cats running up a tree, out on a big limb then back to the tree and backing down to about 8’ from the ground and jumping off the tree. It was a pretty amazing display of agility. Sorry but it is no longer available.

We had another cat that got up very high in a tree, wife and son said they thought it was about 30 feet up. IDK for sure. The cat stayed there almost 3 weeks. after 10-12 days they were taking our longest ladder 24’ and climbing up then using an extendable pole to put food up there for the cat. When I found out they were doing that I told them to stop feeding the cat or it wasn’t coming down .

After they stoped feeding it about 4 or 5 days later it came down. Probably got thirsty enough it had to. She lost some weight but has recovered now.

She could have come down at anytime. Just didn’t want to, evidently.

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #24  
Like they say..."when they are ready there come down"

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #25  
I have to wonder how many people are injured trying to "rescue" their cat from a tree.

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #26  
Point taken! Honestly though, I've never seen any skeletons in trees LOL
I once found a deer skeleton wedged in the crook of a tree...

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #28  
Had a cat that would climb to the top of a tree and wait for the squirrels to come into the tree. Jump off of the limb it was perched on and grab the squirrel on the way down, and then try to get another limb before hitting the ground. Sometimes it worked and sometimes the cat hit the ground from about 30 feet up with the squirrel in her mouth.

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #29  
Except for the last year - I've always had barn cats out here. 40 years. I've had cats that would go 80 to 85 feet up a Ponderosa pine that is 105 feet tall. Why - who knows.......... I've had the same cat come part way down in reverse and then turn and come the remainder of the way head first. Never had/seen a cat fall.

The reason I have no barn cats now ......... barn owls, great horned owls or coyotes. Smart cats will remain in the yard - within the influence of the yard light. "Gone cats" will hunt outside the influence of the yard light.

/ Cats in trees, rural life 101 #30  
Except for the last year - I've always had barn cats out here. 40 years. I've had cats that would go 80 to 85 feet up a Ponderosa pine that is 105 feet tall. Why - who knows.......... I've had the same cat come part way down in reverse and then turn and come the remainder of the way head first. Never had/seen a cat fall.

The reason I have no barn cats now ......... barn owls, great horned owls or coyotes. Smart cats will remain in the yard - within the influence of the yard light. "Gone cats" will hunt outside the influence of the yard light.

Cats curiosity is a weakness.

MoKelly