Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond?

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #11  
Round Up per se is not labeled for aquatic use. Rodeo is the aquatic label and is more expensive because of lower sales and higher costs associated with a specialty aquatic registration. Care should be taken using any pesticides but having concerns over something diluted to parts per billion in a 1/2 acre pond borders on paranoia especially with something tested to the extent glysophate has.

Check the MSDS on the deisel used in our tractors or the washer fluid in our cars and then put things in perspective.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #12  
I have a stupid question, you say the pond is part of your septic? What do you mean?

I'm curious about this as well. If it is... aren't the cattails also helping to clean the water?

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #13  
We had a river near us that acted like a septic tank for most of the older buildings in town, the only thing that lived in there were carp/suckers and people called them brown trout as a joke.
DEP went through and fined and made everyone join up with the sewer system and now its a high quality trout stream. Even had some herons eating from it now. I just cant bring my self to fish it knowing what it was like before.
Is your pond part of the drain field?

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #14  
Muskrats sounds like the best alternative to you problem. It's easy to fill the bank back in & 5 cents will get rid of the muskrats when you don't need them anymore.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #15  
One of the warnings on Roundup is "Do not apply to wet areas or standing water." They do make a product like Roundup that can be used in wet environments but I can't recall the name.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #16  
Here are a few links to the pondboss forum, I would not ad any rats to a pond that doesnt have them already as they are very hard to get rid of and very damaging to your pond.
Cattail Plex? - Pond Boss Forum
cattails - Pond Boss Forum
cattails - Pond Boss Forum

And for manual cutting you can try one of these. I made my own using 1/2 rebar and used 3/4 banding material for the cutting edge, I just welded strip of banding on edge then sharpened to make a nice razor cutting edge and didnt cost me a thing.
Water Weed Cutter, Aquatic Herbicide, Pond Weed Removal

If you have a pond you could benefit from this site. Great bunch of folks that wont steer you wrong.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond?
Wow thanks for all the good ideas. To answer some of the questions, the pond is indeed part of the septic system. On the Eastern Shore the soil is clay and does not perk. In order to be sure that the septic has been properly treated there are two septic tanks...one flows into the second. From there the treated overflow water goes out to the pond. It's pretty well taken care of by the time it gets there so it's not like there are solids going into the pond. It's designed by the county or the Corps of Engineers or someone like that who knows their **** (sorry couldn't resist that)
Anyway the muskrat thing...we have a critter called a nutria that's similar to a muskrat but they don't eat cattails. No love there.
I'm not against chemical warfare but just getting to the cattails that are in the pond is a challenge. Might have to do an amphibious assault by water.
I was hoping to bolt Optimus Prime or something to the loader bucket and have him flail all the cattails to within an inch of their lives and then bomb 'em with that glysophate stuff.
The cattails have to go because technically I'm supposed to keep the banks free of overgrowth in case someone from the county comes out there to inspect. I doubt anyone really ever will, but it's all part of a grand plan to get the pond looking good. The whole reason for buying the chipper was to clear away the trees that have grown up around the deer fence. The gate has fallen off the posts and it's all gotten generally shabby from neglect.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #18  
There is a company called Aquacide that makes aquacide pellets which do a great job. The pellets kill the vegitation but won't harm the fish or insects. It is totally safe. I am against using chemicals too, but I know this is safe and sometimes, you just have to.

Just because an overzealous EPA and whacko environmentalists banned certain chemicals doesn't mean they were bad. The non-use of DDT has cost the lives of hundreds of thousands due to mosquitoes spreading malaria and is proven to be not near as harmful to humans as first suggested.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #19  
I made an extra reach stick a few years ago for my 12 000 pound mini excavator for ceaning arounds a pond edge. I made a plate with ears to fit my boom after I pulled the bucket off and put on 8 feet of 4x4 tubing. Then I took a small bucket off a Ditchwitch trenchers back hoe. I mounted it straight to the added stick to be dumped like an old cable hoe, just extend it out to dump. I had to becareful because it added alot of extra weight when extended. I t wasnt too bad as long as I would put the bucket o nthe bottom and drag it in. I went all the way around one side and I ditched the bucket and made a rake foot out of some old spring cultivator teeth. It workd fair then I added a cutter bar across the front of them out of 3/16 by 2 inch. It really worked great. I did another pond and sold the boom to the owner of that pond to go on his Case hoe.

/ Cattail Killer, or how to clean up around the pond? #20  
The cattails have to go because technically I'm supposed to keep the banks free of overgrowth in case someone from the county comes out there to inspect. neglect.

Around here they'd likely throw you in jail for cutting them as if there's a cattail in a mud puddle it's considered a wetland. On a couple jobs I was on, they even had surveyors ribbon hanging over the roadside ditches that said, "FEDERAL WETLAND DO NOT DISTURB". Pretty hard to clean ditches without disturbing them.