Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder
Look into some security cameras with infrared lights, dvr, motion detection, and maybe a trail camera.

This is more in line with the type of answers I was hoping to receive. In fact, I've been considering cameras, IR detectors, remote sensing devices, trip wires connected to an alarm, or anything else which might be an effective aid in allowing me to know if someone is present without my knowledge with the added benefit of possibly even helping the police to catch them. Assuming that the police ever bother to respond to my call.

At this point, setting up an effective perimeter defense line is my primary concern, so all suggestions which help me to achieve that specific goal will be greatly appreciated.

/ Caught an Intruder
What about a couple of the new game cameras which do NOT flash visible white or red light yet operate at night?

Game cameras also came to mind, but do they make them in such a way as to make them easy to conceal? My concern is that an intruder would steal the camera if they spotted it.

/ Caught an Intruder #13  
You have some good advise there. The only thing that I may have done different was to fire off a couple of shotgun blasts up in the air. I'm sure he would have heard them and it may have just sent the right message.

I would also be calling back the police to find out what happened to them and ask to make a formal report on the strange person.

Bill

/ Caught an Intruder #14  
So, what would you do in my position?

What I would do is call them repeatedly until they respond. What I wouldn't do is become a vigilante. If no help from the local sheriff (who is probably sitting in a doughnut shop) then call the state police. Even if they don't achieve anything but a police report, that would help to legally CYA if violence occurs.

/ Caught an Intruder #15  
A lot of thieves will watch your house to see what your schedule is. Change your schedule around a bit to throw them off. Another thing is it is usually someone that lives close or knows you fairly well. Rural thieves are aware that most WV homes are well armed and want to avoid confrontation. That is why they mostly break in through the day. You are right to be on guard. Think about who would would be able to see you coming and going on a daily basis and make a list.

/ Caught an Intruder #16  
Solar charged motion floods on all corners, Remington 870 in a "safe" room, if you really wanna go all out CCTV, perimeter motion detector...however, the first two in conjunction with the dogs and a thorough understanding of your law and, some routine training for you and the missus should do the trick...if you catch him, don't back off prosecution ! I'm a cop, however I do understand that when seconds count the cops are just minutes away....just the way it is sometimes...

Rich

/ Caught an Intruder
A lot of thieves will watch your house to see what your schedule is. Change your schedule around a bit to throw them off. Another thing is it is usually someone that lives close or knows you fairly well. Rural thieves are aware that most WV homes are well armed and want to avoid confrontation. That is why they mostly break in through the day. You are right to be on guard. Think about who would would be able to see you coming and going on a daily basis and make a list.

There are a number of locals who come to mind, but I remain uncertain who it could have been, especially with so little information to go on. It all happened so fast that I'm still processing everything in my mind. The scary part is that while my home is well defended on the inside, I wasn't fully prepared for something quite like this. However, that will soon change.

The good news is that if a thief was casing my home to learn when noone is home, they'll be in for a long wait because someone is here about 99.999% of the time.

/ Caught an Intruder #18  
There are a number of locals who come to mind, but I remain uncertain who it could have been, especially with so little information to go on. It all happened so fast that I'm still processing everything in my mind. The scary part is that while my home is well defended on the inside, I wasn't fully prepared for something quite like this. However, that will soon change.

The good news is that if a thief was casing my home to learn when noone is home, they'll be in for a long wait because someone is here about 99.999% of the time.
That is good that your home is seldom unattended. I would pay attention to who is scoping you out when you drive by. Be aware they may be casing for an invasion with you at home. I would consider the silent alarms as a quick early warning system. I would also make sure I had a weapon available in the shop/garage. If you are being watched and they are going to invade when you are there its better to be prepared. I know a lot of people may think it all sounds extreme but living rural means that the police are not likely close and you need to be prepared. Early warning could be your friend. I have dogs and thy are worth the weight for early warning.

/ Caught an Intruder #19  
I know it is fresh in your mind and you feel like you need to take immediate action but it might be prudent not to over react. You stated yourself that it would be stupid for him to come back. For all he knows, your wife got a good look at him and he is waiting for the police to show up at his doorstep.

I mention this because it would be quite an undertaking to set something up for perimeter detection. Expensive to say the least and no doubt there will always be holes in the system that are easily discovered if the guy was intent. Remember the guy whose watercraft stalled on a lake and he had to hoof it past a multi-million dollar detection system to get help from the international airport? Gives you an idea how hard it is. I would post several signs around the property and keep due diligence for awhile. Probably a local teenager.

/ Caught an Intruder
Solar charged motion floods on all corners, Remington 870 in a "safe" room, if you really wanna go all out CCTV, perimeter motion detector...however, the first two in conjunction with the dogs and a thorough understanding of your law and, some routine training for you and the missus should do the trick...if you catch him, don't back off prosecution ! I'm a cop, however I do understand that when seconds count the cops are just minutes away....just the way it is sometimes...

Rich

Nighttime lighting is relatively good around my property right now, but the spot where my wife saw the guy happens to be one of the few dark areas remaining. It's something I plan to address very soon.

And if by some miracle I do catch the guy, I will definitely press charges against him. This kind of thing may be scary, but I find that it pisses me off more than anything else. It is my home afterall. :)