Caught an Intruder

OP
M

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
As for the NAS (Network attached storage) I would hold off. I would either spend the money on a dedicated (used) laptop or use your current computer until you have an idea of how much storage you will be needing.

I need NAS for other reasons and plan to purchase 2-3 TB so I thought it could also be used in conjunction with the cameras, thus killing two birds with the same stone. Using a dedicated PC is not my preferred choice, but I already have numerous computers (laptops, desktops, and a server) available should I decide to use one of them for the security system.

These type of signs, while humorous and might deter someone, could also be a problem for the owner. If you ever did have to shoot someone in self-defense, the signs could be used as evidence as to your intent in a prosecution against you. I would not use any of these type of signs.

I would not actually use that kind of sign and only posted them in jest. For that matter, shooting an intruder would be my very last course of action, which is why I'm going to such great lengths to secure the perimeter, thus giving myself more time (advanced warning) so I'm hopefully not forced to make that fateful decision.

My security plans could be summed up in the following order...

1. Deter
2. Detect
3. Document
4. Defend

Last edited:

mvwicker

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 New Holland TC34DA
If they can read this one should do the job nicely

There's a story about a fellow who put up a sign saying "Danger! Mined!" at his boundary. The sheriff came out to investigate and the fellow said "Oh, that just means be careful, like mind your manners" and then crossed out the "e" with a pencil.

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
When we were getting our building permits, we had to agree to put up a fence and signs to keep construction workers out of a sensitive wetlands area. So I made up some signs that said "NO ENTRY: Violators will be shot. Survivors will be violated, then shot again!" I did it mainly to amuse the building inspector, who was being kind of picky.

Redbug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
Just wondering, Massey...
When you get the time, if it were me...I would put up a 3 or 4 strand barb wire fence. That would put a permanent border on your property. No trespassing signs could be placed at intervals. The fence would not cost as much as other fencing and it would deter the occasional trespasser. Anyone going past the fence would have to have a guilty motive in mind.

We are not sure about the trespasser's motive on the guy you noticed. Could even be a fellow looking for places to hunt...legally or illegally. I would not go too overboard about your incident. Maybe a game camera or two, and rake down any trails he might have used to look for new tracks. But...you have been violated and you need to keep your hackles up.

FYI...Interesting incident happened to us a month ago. I was at work...my wife heard our dog, (german shepherd), barking his "mean bark". She went out to see what the commotion was about. Our place is fenced in completely including the gate. Like a compound. A couple of adults were taunting the dog along the road. They cussed my wife and dog and said they did not plan to burglarize our place. Just that remark put us on edge. A normal person probably would not have said something like that and used profanity. These were 40ish year olds and rough looking. I do think they were casing the houses along our road. Now, we keep a camera, (and me my pistol always ready and in my pocket if I hear anything), and any one odd gets their picture taken. That way the perp also knows that we know that his picture has been taken. In SC you do not have to retreat if you are threatened with bodily harm.

So...I think a few signs that say you property is under camera survellance would be good too, whether you have cameras or not.

Tororider

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4310
Redbug said:
So...I think a few signs that say you property is under camera survellance would be good too, whether you have cameras or not.

I was thinking this also. Something along the lines of " smile, you are on camera"

greasemonkeyok

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD cut
I was thinking this also. Something along the lines of " smile, you are on camera"

Unless you are thinking like a criminal, which is "Game cameras are easy to sell or pawn in the next town over. Now, where is that thing."

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
"Smile, you are on hidden camera!" Place signs out of reach at numerous points within your property.

Now, it's a game....you gotta go inside fence and spend lots of time checking around looking for it. Just because you don't find it, doesn't mean you haven't had your photo taken!!

So, lots of time spent looking, increasing the chances YOU will see the intruder and take action and if he's busy elsewhere, he's NOT messing with you and your possessions.

OP
M

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Unless you are thinking like a criminal, which is "Game cameras are easy to sell or pawn in the next town over. Now, where is that thing."

I do plan to buy a game camera, not only to use for intruder detection but also to see what kind of 4 legged critters frequent our property. In any case, I definitely plan to heavily conceal any type of camera I may decide to use, just to eliminate the temptation for someone to steal or destroy them.

"Smile, you are on hidden camera!" Place signs out of reach at numerous points within your property.

I've considered the possibility of posting "video surveillance" signs, but I remain undecided about it. The nut jobs around here just might interpret it as an invitation or a challenge. They might wonder what I have that is so valuable that requires video cameras to protect, hence the "invitation". That said, I'm thinking that most of what I do should be kept as low key as possible.

Lava Rancher

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey 135 Multipower / Z145
Just cut a fireline around your place and drag it daily. You'll know whats coming on or off your property and it's cheap. This is a low tech method USBP use to look for traffic in the desert. The fact that you headed after your perp will discourage him from returning.

GPintheMitten

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 with BH65 backhoe, Ford 2N
I would not actually use that kind of sign and only posted them in jest. For that matter, shooting an intruder would be my very last course of action, which is why I'm going to such great lengths to secure the perimeter, thus giving myself more time (advanced warning) so I'm hopefully not forced to make that fateful decision.

1. Deter
2. Detect
3. Document
4. Defend

I thought so, I just wanted to throw that out in case it would help you or others.

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360

1. Deter
2. Detect
3. Document
4. Defend

Then your property will be "Four-D-fied."

Bruce

LMan1967

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 1643
I have these

Attachments

• private-property-if-you-can-read-this-you-are-within-range-500x350.jpg
    private-property-if-you-can-read-this-you-are-within-range-500x350.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 42

atgreene

Platinum Member
Tractor
2005 TB135 Excavator with Thumb, Quick Attach System, Ripper tooth, 3' Hydrauic Tilt Clean-up Bucket, Skeleton Bucket, 1986 Kubota 4150 with Loader and Quick Attach with Woods Forks, JD B, 1963 IH 504
If you think someone is in the neighborhood casing you, set up a shooting range and shoot often and at odd times. NO ONE walks onto a piece of property where it's both posted and there is frequent shooting. I get along well with my neighbor, and we both shoot, but he fires at all hours and I'd never even dare to walk in the woods for fear of being accidentally shot.

PineRidge

Tractor
TC-40D SS New Holland
Sounds like your neighbor doesn't have a regular range/place where he shoots. Does he just walk into the woods at any point and let em rip?

Around here there's lots of shooting and you know where you can and can't go without eyes in the back of your head.

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL
Sounds like you don't have any dogs?
If not get a couple......they'll give you a excellent early warning of intruders.

You said you have dogs but they didn't detect anything. I don't know what type they are but my wife and I have always had Chesapeake Bay Retrievers (CBR). You talk about a great dog to protect you and your property, they are unmatched.

They have a photographic memory of their property. If we have a car not parked in the normal spot they go on alert as to something not being right. Their sense of smell is such they will smell something before it shows up.

They stick by your side at all times. Even in the house they will follow you room to room, you are never without protection. They range in size from 75 to 90 pounds of pure muscle with a lip curl that would rival a Grizzly. They don't like strangers. Loyal, loving and great around children.

Here is an example of the protection I speak of. CBR.jpgCBR.jpg

dave1949

Super Star Member
Tractor
Hanomag
Most people can't manage a trained protection dog. They are not easy or inexpensive to come by. They are also a great liability. A big untrained dog may or may not protect you. An alert terrier will bark and warn of anything abnormal.That's my vote.

That's a valid point.

A feisty terrier would work to alert you and they can be fierce ankle biters.

I don't know what is considered "big" for a dog, but I would say 50 pounds and up will be a decent deterrent. When faced with a barking, growling dog, people don't know if the dog will attack them or not. Sort of like a sign that says there is a camera watching you--maybe, maybe not. Anything that adds to an intruders perception of risk is in your favor. A dog barking its head off is a message that an attempt at stealth or concealment has failed, increasing an intruders perception of risk.

The OP and his wife went through some commotion in their reaction to the intruder. Most dogs would key on that emotion and unusual behavior and become alerted and active. If the OP's dogs didn't, he needs to add to his "pack" if dogs are to be a part of his system.

lockhaven

Veteran Member
Tractor
kioti ck30
dogs are good until someones kid runs off and meets the guard dogs

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
That's a valid point.

A feisty terrier would work to alert you and they can be fierce ankle biters.

I don't know what is considered "big" for a dog, but I would say 50 pounds and up will be a decent deterrent. When faced with a barking, growling dog, people don't know if the dog will attack them or not. Sort of like a sign that says there is a camera watching you--maybe, maybe not. Anything that adds to an intruders perception of risk is in your favor. A dog barking its head off is a message that an attempt at stealth or concealment has failed, increasing an intruders perception of risk.

The OP and his wife went through some commotion in their reaction to the intruder. Most dogs would key on that emotion and unusual behavior and become alerted and active. If the OP's dogs didn't, he needs to add to his "pack" if dogs are to be a part of his system.

Our Chessie's aren't highly trained just highly intelligent. Just the spoken words "Who is it" and they go on alert searching to see whats going on.

The memory of an elephant. Tell them once and they never forget.

OP
M

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
To the people who think that dogs are the solution to my problem... I appreciate that you like dogs, but I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. While it's true that I do have dogs, I consider them strictly as pets.

OP
M

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
If you think someone is in the neighborhood casing you, set up a shooting range and shoot often and at odd times. NO ONE walks onto a piece of property where it's both posted and there is frequent shooting. I get along well with my neighbor, and we both shoot, but he fires at all hours and I'd never even dare to walk in the woods for fear of being accidentally shot.

Setting up a shooting range is not an option due to local ordinances. Not to mention the fact that I like my peace and quiet. :)

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
To the people who think that dogs are the solution to my problem... I appreciate that you like dogs, but I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. While it's true that I do have dogs, I consider them strictly as pets.

Because of the breed we chose we just happened to get a protecter of our property too. Haviing originated in the Chesapeake Bay Region these dogs are legendary for loyalty and protection of their master.

Because I have these dogs to help protect my family and property do I get rid of all the guns in the house and the alarm system. Of course not. I think between them all I've got it covered.

What if you aren't home and and its just the wife and kids. You have all your signs up and your cameras on and the intruder just walks right thru them without hesitation, what do you do then? Ok you got a picture of him. Thats fine for after he has done his deed and you need to catch him. You want to stop him before he does anything. How is that going to stop him from doing what he wants to do to your home and family. It could possibly be a deterent to some teens up to no good but not a hardened criminal.

Perfect example: We have nothing around us but a county road, woods. and farmland. My wife was out front working in the flower beds with her back to the road. Someone came from the road and across the yard that she had no idea was there. But guess who had her back? Oh yeah! 90 pounds of Chesapake protection. While my wife was not facing the road the dog was facing the road just like a sentinel.

The dog went towards the man and he stopped in his tracks. He could not move for fear of his life. My wife ran in the house and called my Father and Brother in law because they were just across the farm.

Come to find out the man was a farmer who broke down on the road past our house and wanted to call someone but my wife didn't know him and when she spoke to him he said nothing which caused more fear for her.

I guess you could call it a false alarm but it let us know we could count on our Chessie to alert and protect us.

Scooby074

Tractor
BX 25, ZD 326
Whatever camera you get, just make sure it provides CLEAR video at the property line. How many of those "security cam" videos does one have to watch to see that they are basically grainy, useless images?

Ive installed camera's industrially, and you can get clear video with the proper camera, lens and housing.

OP
M

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
What if you aren't home and and its just the wife and kids. You have all your signs up and your cameras on and the intruder just walks right thru them without hesitation, what do you do then? Ok you got a picture of him. Thats fine for after he has done his deed and you need to catch him. You want to stop him before he does anything. How is that going to stop him from doing what he wants to do to your home and family. It could possibly be a deterent to some teens up to no good but not a hardened criminal.

I knew that someone would come along and try to "change my mind" so I'll reiterate that I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. I like dogs as well as the next person, but dog discussions get a little too "opinionated" to be of any real use to my immediate needs.

Oh, and to answer your question... I do have provisions to deal with an intruder is noone is home, I just prefer to not say what they are.

OP
M

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
Whatever camera you get, just make sure it provides CLEAR video at the property line. How many of those "security cam" videos does one have to watch to see that they are basically grainy, useless images?

Ive installed camera's industrially, and you can get clear video with the proper camera, lens and housing.

You're absolutely right, most security camera footage I've seen is utter crap so it's going to be difficult to find ones that capture true high resolution images that are actually useful.

Lebneh

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
Resolution, is a balancing act. Sure you always want high res but you can't always store enough of it. The trick is to get enough quality to do what you need but only "just enough" that way you can keep more of it.

Lava Rancher

Silver Member
Tractor
You should be able to get something that is always on with loop of 24-40 hours that independently rwcords triggered events and saves them separately. Something happens and you retrieve the loopfor any clues that might not have triggered a mption detector. Nothing happens and you'll have the scouting incursions saved if there are any and if they triggered a recorded event. Not a great explanation but a similar system is used for dash cams. End up with a continuous loop and a separately stoted event library. As a bonus there may be some cool wildlife footage.

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
I knew that someone would come along and try to "change my mind" so I'll reiterate that I'm only looking for technological solutions to my security problems. I like dogs as well as the next person, but dog discussions get a little too "opinionated" to be of any real use to my immediate needs.

Oh, and to answer your question... I do have provisions to deal with an intruder is noone is home, I just prefer to not say what they are.

Not trying to change your mind or tell you what to do. Yes I'm very "opinionated" on the breed of dog I have but don't discount adding dogs to your overall protection system.

Biggreenavalanche

Gold Member
Tractor
MF 35, Mahindra 4035
Good, both that he has not returned, and that you've upgraded and are ready. Be safe, hammer his @@@ if you catch him (figuratively speaking of course ! :D)

Rich

Bill Guenthner

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3300SU
At this point, setting up an effective perimeter defense line is my primary concern

When I start to feel like I need a "perimeter defense" I'll put up a for sale sign.

The kid

Elite Member
Tractor
1965 135 gasser, 1967 135 diesel
No sign of MasseyWV for a bit. Intruder return or just busier than a one armed paper hanger?
He's probably busy working on that prize tractor of his. He did say it was going to be a winter project.

Lava Rancher

Silver Member
Tractor
Hope so. I really enjoy his thread. His attention to detail is amazing so if you're checking in Massey, I hope all is well.

Blackhammer

JD435Bill said:
You have some good advise there. The only thing that I may have done different was to fire off a couple of shotgun blasts up in the air. I'm sure he would have heard them and it may have just sent the right message.

Bill

That is 100% illegal. Warning shots are never allowed. Now it is a very good possibility that nothing will come of the shots, but if the individual wants to come back with the police and lie about his actions, " he is a potential criminal, so telling a lie is not out of the question." you could be on the hook for something when you did nothing wrong. Officer, I was just walking through the woods and this maniac shot at me for no reason, while you have a shotgun with gun powder residue on it. Not looking good for you.

Besides now all you are doing is telling the potential "perp" you are armed and they need to come prepared.